Back From the Endocrinologist

susiestar

Roll With It
I really liked him. He says that right now we (meaning me) are heading into a "real emergency" with my bones. He is going to find a pharmacy to get both vit D and Calcium for me to give to myself as shots. I have already learned to give myself both enbrel and humira shots (neither worked) so that won't be a problem. I have a call in to my pharmacist and the doctor has already called him!!!!! They are going to find something!!

I feel hopeful. Exhausted, but hopeful. And I will see the shrink on thursday because the endocrinologist was running late today.

I went out to eat with my mom, and then went to get the latest Cross stitch ornament magazine that just came out. Now I am going to try napping.

Jess went to the doctor, has a fever, and was given a note for school. I have a call into the nurse, and will chase that further tomorrow. Jess feels like crud, but should be better by tomorrow according to the docs. Gpa took her to the doctor.

I would be lost with-o my parents right now.

klmno

Wow, Susie- that is a lot to deal with. It sounds like you are hanging in there a lot better than I would be! I'm glad you have your parents helping and that Jess got a dr's note.

Jena

Susie hey that sounds really hopeful, and they already called they sound on the ball, that's great. you were due someone competent and efficient lol......... and good news......you were kinda overdue!!!

glad you had a good day with your mom. yes you are lucky to have them. hope jess feels better. :)

trinityroyal

Susie, I'm so glad that you like your endocrinologist. It does sound like he's on the ball.
Wishing you all the best with the treatments, and it's good that you already know how to give yourself the injections.

So glad too that your parents are able to be there for you.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Trinity

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I thought you were going to see a doctor today because of the seizure last week.

I'm so confused. :bag:

Suz

susiestar

Roll With It
Suz, I had this appointment for 3 months, and had to keep it. I am trying to get an appointment to see someone about the seizure, though my rheumy says it was most likely a result of the arava and having a 2 day migraine where I couldn't keep the lyrica down. I am working on getting in to a neuro to see WTH is going on, and have already ordered copies of all the hospital records so I have those to take with me when I can see someone. I spoke with the rheumy's nurse on Fri, he prescribes all my medications and manages them.

Sorry I confused you. THis endocrin was to address having almost NO vit D in my body for a number of years - and becoming violently ill if I take any vit D or even eat foods with it or go into the sunshine. Very much a problem with the healing from Dec surgery, with the muscle pain and weakness, and with the bone pains. All related to the Vit D. And the thyroid of course to a lesser extent.

Thanks for caring enough to ask.

witzend

I'm glad that you like him. You are going to be monitored when you get that first shot, right? I'd hate for you to have a reaction to it without someone there to take care of you! I hope that this will be the answer to your problems, you sure deserve a break.

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, yeaah, I will be monitored Witz. They want me to have the first shot THERE and stay for an hour or three to see how I do. It will be reassuring to me, because just doing it at home would be a bit scary, seeing how I react to the other vitamin D stuff.

F

flutterbee

This sounds positive, Susie. I hope it works and you get some much needed relief.

KTMom91

I'm so glad you liked this doctor, and that your parents are ready, able, and willing to help you out. Sounds like there's a procedure in place for treatment. Hope the other doctor, for your seizure, is as cooperative. And I hope Jess is doing better.

mom_in_training

I am also glad that you like this Dr. my difficult child had a total thyroidectomy in Feb of this year and her Dr is not good at calling back at all. Curious, Did your Endo say anything about your Parathyroid being disfunctional at all? These four lil glands are what maintains your bodys calcium. Have you ever had surgery on your thyroid? if so, Its possible that the surgeon compromised the parathyroid glands. That was my biggest worry with my difficult child. I basically interviewed the surgeon asking if he was like an artist (Steady hands) telling him that I was concerned about the parathyroid being compromised. In the end my difficult children parathyroid was unscaved thank god and she has shown no indications of calcium deprivation and she does not take any calcium supplement at all. I hope that it all works out for you. One more question, Did you check out those forum groups that I sent the links for? If not I can resend them if you would like. Just let me know. Also hoping that Jess gets to feeling better soon. :)

Oh and here is a link that explains the funtion of the parathyroid glands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parathyroid_gland

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
He did investigate my thyroid, nothing feels enlarged and all feels normal even though the neck surgery was near that area. Parathyroid wasn't discussed. I would appreciate the links again.

No surgery on the thyroid, the problem I have with thyroid is that my body attacked it like a foreign invader. So the thyroid is slowly dying, or not so slowly. We will discuss more soon after the lab work is done and the medications have been located.

F

flutterbee

When your body attacks the thyroid like that, isn't that Hashimoto's? The parathyroid can definitely mess with your Vitamin D and blood calcium. And if you don't have enough blood calcium your body WILL take it from wherever it can - which means your bones. The whole Vitamin D and blood calcium thing is kind of confusing to me. I know you need Vitamin D to absorb calcium, but the relationship between too much or too little Vitamin D and blood calcium is where I get confused.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie, Heather has a valid point. I thought when the body attacks the thyroid like a foreign object it's Hashimoto's too. But I'm glad you're getting answers and they're going to monitor you for the shots.

Poor Jess. I'm glad it's not anxiety from the accident. But still stinks to catch a bug on top of everything else.

Hugs

busywend

Heather is testing out her new career!

Susie, it is nice to feel hopeful for once! Fingers crossed these do the trick!