Back to CMA issues....

Malika

(To all fellow CAT addicts :) )
On the judge's instructions to the jury, my sense is that everyone, he included, kind of assumed (dangerous) that the case was open and shut, and that Casey would be found guilty in short order. He seemed to me to bend over backwards to be scrupulously fair and objective in presenting the case and in his instructions.
I do agree that some of the statements of the jurors seem incoherent. In terms of the lack of direct evidence tying Casey specifically to the death they have a point and some legal experts have agreed with the decision. HOW was one to determine whether Casey was guilty of murder or of manslaughter, in the complete absence of any direct evidence as to manner and cause of death? That was a real conundrum for them - but in that case the fairest they could have done would have been to find guilty of manslaughter. I also agree that there seems to have been some confusion about the nature and weight of circumstantial evidence and the judge gave no specific pointers about that, as I recall. An error of judgement?
Talking of errors of judgement, Baez seems genuinely to think Casey was innocent and that she is a good and admirable person....

H

HaoZi

Haozi I believe you are thinking of peremptory challenge. Cause to strike is what the judge uses to kick someone off for cause. Peremptory challenge if the freebies each side gets.

Nancy

Thanks! I knew there was some special phrase for it, but that and voir dire (sp) was all I could remember.

HOW was one to determine whether Casey was guilty of murder or of manslaughter, in the complete absence of any direct evidence as to manner and cause of death?

Manner was determined - homicide. Cause was not nailed down, but legally it didn't need to be. The rest depends on what you consider a lack. Casey was the last one with Caylee, Caylee's death was homicide. That is solid enough to me. Adding in circumstantial evidence just seals it for me.

I just watch a clip from the View, and that Defense Attny woman with the short dirty blond hair, fourty-somethingish was asked if she would let CA babysit her kids, and she refused to answer. See???? Even they know she did it!!!!

DammitJanet

I saw that, got a good giggle out of it too. DDD, I got that tweet about the woman who looked like Casey being attacked. I do think thats going to be a problem.

I also wonder just how in the world she is going to appeal her conviction for lying to the police! She admitted lying in her opening statement...oh...forgive me..her attorney admitted it.

Oh, I know how it will go...You see, I lied to my attorney about lying to the police. But I was lying. I dont know when I was lying or when I wasnt, I cant remember the day. I am such a good liar, remember my friend said so?

Nancy

klmno I am guessing that they are appealing her conviction on the four charges so that she can take the fifth in the deposition and not have to answer questions.

Nancy

Malika

Oh dear, sorry about the multiple posts. Not due to my addiction but to my computer which sometimes does funny things :)

DammitJanet

Nancy...perfect sense but abuse of the system. I think she should have her bail revoked until her trials on that case is heard...lol.

DammitJanet

Well...think about it...isnt it normal that when someone appeals a case and you are already in jail, that you stay in jail awaiting that appeal? If you can get bail, then maybe you could get it...but does anyone really want to bail her out? LOL.

Steely

Not to be a devil's advocate - but I guess that is how my mind works - why is it that the father could not have done it?
Casey claims she lived her life in fear of her dad. So if her dad did kill her daughter, it seems she would have gone to all lengths to cover his rear end.

DammitJanet

If casey was in fear of HER father, she wouldnt have still been living in her parents home. She was well old enough to have left by then.

No...in my mind, george didnt have a darned thing to do with it...if anyone did...it was the mother, Cindy!

klmno

I don't think Cindy or George either one had any thing to do with it. I think they were "over the top" in catering to Caylee, just like they had been that way with Lee and Casey. I watched some replays today- I honestly think Casey did it on her own. But in her mind, she's blaming her parents. Just because she has that much distorted thinking doesn't mean we have to buy into it.

Like Cindy said on her Myspace page, her grandaughter died because of jealousy. That ex-fiance of Casey's said Casey broke up with him because she thought the guy loved Caylee more than her. Any normal person would be so happy their finance loved their child so much, but not her. So she broke up with him! And Casey knew Cindy loved that little girl more than her too, so, just like with the fiance....that had to end. Casey killed her and no way did George or Cindy have a thing to do with it. Maybe it was to punish Cindy....like fine, if you won't watch her, or if you threaten to take her away, if you call me a bad mom,......I'll show you, just watch what I can do.

She'll get what's coming to her, don't you think?

donna723

I don't think either one of the parents had anything to do with it! In fact, if anything, I think they were the ones really raising their granddaughter, the only ones who were providing for her, and the only ones who showed appropriate emotions about her disappearance and death. Casey was taking the easy way out, letting her parents support both her and her child while she went to a "pretend" job everyday, partied, and robbed her family and friends blind!

And I don't believe for a minute that Casey was ever really afraid of her father or that she had ever been mistreated or sexually abused by either her father or her brother. She had no problem living in the same house with them and having her daughter be around them. If that had ever happened to me, you can bet that I would have been outta there as soon as I possibly could! I would have gotten my own place and a REAL job that paid REAL money, supported and cared for my child on my own, and would have never allowed either one of them anywhere near her! She never did any of those things. Would anybody be that lazy to continuing living in a house with someone who had abused and molested them and take a chance of the same thing happening to their child rather than getting off their butt and getting a real job and some financial independence? Who would do that?

Nancy

How can all of us be so wrong???? I watched some of the replays today too and when Baez was questioning George on when he found out Casey was pregnant I just kept thinking what does this have to do with Caylee's death. I know my husband would not know if our daughter was pregnant until it was so obvious. How disrespectful Baez was to George asking him if he had trouble with his eyesight. Nothing in any of George's answers gave me cause for concern. I still cannot figure out what this jury say that is so different from what we saw, and the more I watch the replays the more confused I get. The whole time George was testifying Casey was shaking her head no, as if she didn;t think her father had anything to do with it either. Baez asked George if he sexually molested Casey and Casey shook her head no. Hello...if there is no sexual abuse the theory of why she let her father cover up the death falls apart.

Every juror that talks has a different opinion. One believes George could have killed Caylee himself. I don;t get it.

Nancy

donna723

... but that's where common sense comes in to it! Why would he kill her? He wouldn't! He obviously adored that child and so did Cindy Anthony! There was no way that either one of them would have harmed her at all much less kill her!

I heard one interview where one of the jurors had said something about George possibly lying about his relationship with what's-her-butt. If he did lie about that one little part of it, that's almost understandable considering that his wife was there in the courtroom. I'm sure that's been a sore spot in their marriage. But whether the relationship was physical or not had nothing to do with it - the woman was claiming that he told her it "was an accident", implying that he had some knowledge of what happened but it turned out that the wording was slightly twisted and didn't mean that at all. But this juror was implying that since he might have stretched the truth about this one thing, they decided that nothing else he said had any credibility either, that maybe he was there, maybe it was an accident, maybe he did help cover it up, etc.! How stupid!

Nancy

But if this juror thought since George lied about that he could gave lied about everything else why don't they hold Casey to the same standard?

Nancy

Ok so here's another question. Caseys psychologist who keeps going in TV saying Casey had no psychological diagnosis is he saying that she has now been cured of the psychological problems that caused her to be afraid if her father from all the years of sexual abuse?

The entire world just was taught what to do if they kill someone, or get arrested for anything, just lie and don't stop lying, keep changing your story and you'll go free.

Everyone's getting paid for these tv interviews......of course she's cured now that she was found not guilty. If Baez had gotten a mistrial because she was mentally incompetant, you know she'd be in an institution right now, NOT CURED.