Back to School...

neednewtechnique

Okay, so I am adding to my list of brave things I have attempted lately, and the newest is going back to college to finish my degree. Today was my first day, and although it came out good in the end, it didn't start out well, and it has made me very nervous.

I am working on an Accounting Degree and considering another major, possibly in foreign language, specifically, Spanish. There are so many opportunities out there for fluently spanish-speaking people in the workplace, and since I am already semi-fluent, I felt that would be a good place to focus a second major, or at least a minor.

My two younger children haven't really caught on yet, they don't really understand yet what it will mean for mommy to be back in school, but the 13 year old, boy does she get it and boy is she NOT happy about it!! At first, she thought it was cool, and got this great idea that we could have "study parties" and do our homework together, but then she realized that if we were both working on our own homework, I wasn't focused on HER or HER assignment, but rather, my OWN work, and she did not like that at all.

I got a grand "send-off" this morning, by her throwing an ABSOLUTE FIT before she got on the bus to go to school and left me TOTALLY FRAZZLED to go into the already stressful situation of re-orientating myself with college...so as I said, it was not a good start to the day. But I made a few new friends today, and got a good start to classes and things, so overall, I think this is a good move. I am just worried that it will soon become very clear to everyone in my house what kinds of things will be changing with me back in school, and that is when things will get REALLY interesting.

I am curious if any of you have tried to do this while juggling the responsibilities of a special needs child, what your successes were, and if you have any tips to help things go more smoothly and help the kids understand what's happening?????

Do. Not. Allow. Them. To. Make. You. Feel. Guilty.

The saying is, nobody can make you feel any one way. You allow it. Do not allow the kids to lay the guilt trip on you.

What you are doing is fantastic, will be wonderful for your self image, self esteem, there is just no bad that can come of it.

Let the child know that you are wise to her game. Administer consequences just as you would for her skipping a chore or something. Make the "punishment" fit the crime. You don't need stress while you are in school.

Congratulations! Good for you.

Liahona

Sorry I don't have any advice. Just wanted you to know I think your wonderful for going back to school. It might be a respite from the stress of gfgness.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Congrats to you on going back to school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bravo: I did go back to get my master's while difficult child was very young so it didn't have the kind of impact I had to worry about other than it meant husband dealing with him for an entire weekend every month. I didn't feel guilty because he had done the same thing for two years before me!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Way to Go!!!!! Sorry difficult child made the 1st morning stressful. She'll ease into it eventually. It can be rough, but like posted earlier - you can miss class (a lot easier than missing work) I think it's great you made this step. You ARE brave and strong and difficult child is going to have to get over it. I liked the earlier post stating that this will be in both your best interests - we all know it's the truth. Hang in there and best wishes for a successful time in school!!
-dara