Bad sore throat...need soothing relief

Nomad

Staff member
I chewed on something hard and it scratched my throat.
Next day, I had super bad GERD attack with heartburn and upper burning.
NOW, I have mega sore throat with mega burning (all of this on right side)

It feels like glass cutting me on the right side of my throat
and my husband says he can see it's red on the right when he looks with a flash light

Nothing is soothing this burn. Cough drops, ice water..etc.

Anyone have any ideas regarding getting some comfort? OTC or even RX..considering calling my GP.

Thanks.

DammitJanet

Hey nomad. Sorry about your throat. I am not sure if this would help but have you ever tried aloe vera juice...really cold. I have tried it for skin and gerd.

Nomad

Staff member
Hmmm. Janet, I have a plant in the back yard! Will check online to see if I can use the juice. Maybe I can buy some in the store too. Many thanks.

Scent of Cedar *

What about Cepacol lozenges or spray, Nomad? Or Sucretes?

Or, that teething gel they use for babies. Num-Zit.

I think they have an oral numbing agent for adult use, too.

Cedar

Copabanana

We heat until boiling aloe vera *a spear about 3 inches or less in a small pot with some fresh mint to make a tea. It is delicious. I feel better immediately and I drink it all day when I need to, for Gastritis or Gerd or heartburn.

You can also chew it.

I hope you feel better soon Nomad

Nomad

Staff member
  1. Gastroesophageal reflux disease

2. Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the ring of muscle between the esophagus and stomach. Many people, including pregnant women, suffer from heartburn or acid indigestion caused by GERD.

Jabberwockey

You can get Nexium over the counter now. I take it daily for this problem. Also, sometimes just drinking a glass of milk will help sooth it as it neutralizes some of the acid in your stomach. But if this has been going on for a while then definitely go see your doctor. This can cause long term damage.

Nomad

Staff member
thank you Jabber. I take Zantac. Actually, my GERD problem is normally under excellent control. My diet has helped a lot. I normally eat in an unusually healthy manner.

But, we had company and not only was I off my diet, but I was eating,very poorly too. Just junk galore. Really paid for it.

I did the aloe and chloreseptic spray and Cepacol losenges. Now, much better. But, if it happens again, will call the doctor and will mention it at next appointment.

Thank you all! :)

Jabberwockey

Zantac is ok but Nexium works much better. Take it from someone who used to take several different versions of it and STILL ate tums like candy!

susiestar

Roll With It
If zantac (ranitidine) is working for you, stay with it. You may want to consider another medication if you have problems like this often or you have allergies and need allergy medication.

Zantac is a type of medication called an H-2 blocker, with the H standing for histamine. Zantac reduces the amount of acid your body makes, but it does not eliminate the amount of acid. It also does not neutralize the acid.

Nexium is a proton pump inhibitor. It stops the production of stomach acid in the pumps at the bottom of the stomach. This is different from zantac because acid production is stopped and not lowered. It does not neutralize the acid that is already in your stomach.

Zantac can be a problem if you need to take allergy medications because it acts on histamine the way that antihistamines do. You can end up with serious interactions if you take zantac an antihistamines, or so I have been told back when Zantac was only available rx and I had to take it constantly.

Nexium (and other proton pump inhibitors like lansoprozole and omeprozole) does not act on histamine, so it may be a better choice if you need allergy medications (no clue if you do). Be aware of this, and use what works for you. If you need allergy medications, or just want to consider changing to a different medication, you should discuss it with your doctor. The doctor knows your history and symptoms better than we do and just because these medications are OTC does not mean they are not powerful.

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you Susie! I knew some of this, but only vaguely. You gave me more good info. The PPI's tend to give me migraines. Additionally, I've heard they are more likely to contribute to osteoporosis down the road (as compared to the H-2 blockers) and there is a concern there (long story). I'm aware that the PPIs tend to work better for GERD, but I think I can do ok with the Zantac.

I also sometimes take Prelief when I drink coffee. This is only when my GERD or Interstitial Cystitis is acting up. This product is GOLD. My gastro PA was baffled by Prelief, but said it was ok if I was taking it now and again...which is the case.

I don't tend to take antihistamines, BUT certainly have taken them and appreciate this info. I'll check into it. Sad that the doctor or PA didn't mention this.

I do have some issues with nasal dryness and other weird sinus stuff and have been experimenting with Oil of Oregano capsules with good results. They seem to help the upper respiratory tract. I've been checked thoroughly for allergies and don't seem to have them. The dryness is caused by Sjogrens Syndrome.