Bad Storm - Checking In

susiestar

Roll With It
Not sure what y'all are seeing about the weather here in Oklahoma. Yesterday we were supposed to get a lot of rain and nothing came. Then this morning they closed the University at noon and the local schools also. Around 5 pm we started to get a lot of freezing rain/slush coming down.

It is pretty cool to hear the slush hit the house. After a while you can hear ice rattling around outside. This is a pretty common thing for an OK storm in Jan/Feb - these are our two hardest months of winter every year.

We are all fine here. husband got my medications picked up and took them back when they came up way WAY short when I counted them. We are stocked to the gills with food and the internet is working fine. If we lose power/internet I may not post for a while, but that would be very rare.

Are the rest of you having winter storms also? I hope everyone is OK.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We had a doozy blow through last night. I think it is heading out east.

Hope everyone is doing well!

donna723

We're just waiting for it here. The upper parts of Tennessee are supposed to get snow, the lower parts can look forward to sleet, freezing rain, and then snow! That's US! I don't mind the snow so much because it will be gone in a few days. But if there's ice and freezing rain, that's what brings the tree limbs and power lines down! Do NOT need that!

Fran

Former desparate mom
susie, I saw the weather channel talking about OK and the triple threat of snow/rain/ice blowing through OK.
Our city is bracing for a big snow. Looks to be 3 in to 7 in of snow depending on what side of the front you are on. Fortunately, it isn't expected to hit until tonight. Our pantry is stocked, I'm digging out the sled and plan on crock pot soup and playing.:snowangel: I'm sure my puppies will love playing in the snow. If we can find white on white. LOL.
This part of NC isn't really set up for snow from what I read. The western side where the mountains are is expecting 12in. I can't remember a snow that big since I was a little girl in Pittsburgh. :snowing:
I'm going to hit the grocery store for some last minute things, walk the pups early and hunker down.
Obviously, everything is canceled for tomorrow. :holymoly:

Susie, glad you didn't lose power.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
susie, smart girl for being ready! Fran, the crock pot sounds wonderful. Seems like most of the icy, freezing rain runs south of where I am, snow is much preferred! Hope power remains steady for all or at least you know someone with a generator..... stay safe........

Nancy

For once we are not in the path of either storm.

Glad you are safe and sound inside Susie.

Fran, easy child has been getting a real kick out of the locals down there who are all running to the store to stock up and talking about being snowed in. She said it's the talk of the entire town, all the tv stations are scrolling warnings and the kids in school are all excited about building snowmen. She's really getting a charge watching all the excitement going on around her. Hopefully it wont be bad and will just give everyone a chance to stay inside for a couple days. I told her at least she had a car that works well in the snow.

I'm getting a real charge out of the fact that she couldn't wait to get down there to escape our winters lol.

Nancy

DammitJanet

They are calling for us to get a mix of winter weather here. Maybe freezing rain, maybe some slushy snow, maybe who knows what!

Just darned cold!

Im laying in some stuff to make stew and crockpot food. Sounds good for cold weather!

Star*

call 911........call 911
We're just getting colder by the hour. I am praying for snow, but doubt we'll even get it. We're out of wood, so it's going to be very cold here. (insert shaking shivering figure) No one has any dry wood - it's all green. Bugger.

I mean if it's going to be this cold - we may as well have fun.

Fran I hope you post pictures of Mr. Darcy in his first snow. White on white...lol.

Be careful everyone.

donna723

It finally got here and it's practically a white-out now! Big fat snowflakes coming down! I am sooooo glad I didn't try to go to work today. The snow plow just went down my street about 15 minutes ago and now you can't even tell they did it! At least it's just snow and it will probably be gone in a few days. They were calling for freezing rain and ice - at least we didn't get that. Stay warm, everyone!

:snowing::snowangel::sled:

tiredmommy

We've been having lake effect snow and bitter wind chills. It was 7F this morning but there was a windchill of -3. I'm happy my car started so that I could drive Duckie down to the bus stop.

Duckie says she wants to move somewhere that gets snow days. :rolleyes:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Nancy, it is true that it is the big story on the news. In fairness though, we so seldom have what Ohio is used to that we do not have the machinery or supplies to combat it. Also, for some reason power outage is a big concern. I have never had a power outage due to cold weather in all the years I lived in Pittsburgh so I don't appreciate the concern enough. I have no generator and probably never will.
I have 2 fireplaces that will have to do if it does go out. Gas stove so I can cook.(yay!)
You guys in the snow belt are much better equipped for this weather. For us it's a fluke and a fun one at that(unless you have to drive in it or you lose power).

Now, I'm off to walk those puppies before it does start to get wet.
Donna, the sky has clouded up considerably. It won't be too long for us. Stay warm and dry.

LittleDudesMom

Hey everyone! Another dream come true for me - they are calling for 8 to 15 inches of snow where I am in Virginia!

I made a batch of sloppy joe's this morning - difficult child loves them. I made a pot of mushroom soup - one of my favs (including rosemary Fran!). I have a big container to give to easy child and her roommate this afternoon when they stop by. Tomorrow I'll make an old family tradition, chicken paprika! Snow always makes me want to cook - with the chicken, we'll have Sat and Sun dinner done!

easy child and her roommate are coming by to get our sleds this afternoon. There is a huge hill about a block from their apartment, so they plan on sledding tomorrow! Snow is not predicted to start here until after midnight, but snow until Sunday morning. difficult child and I are stocked with movies because our local Blockbuster is going out of business and we gathered a pile of them for 3.99 each!

I'm sooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!!!! Two big snowfalls in one winter! By the way, my avatar is outside my front door after our big snow in December!

Sharon - aka, the snow queen.

tiredmommy

Yum! I love cold weather cooking! We're having a turkey breast tonight (I'll make soup for tomorrow's lunch) and roast beef for tomorrow's dinner.

What is everyone else making to keep warm?

donna723

I'm all snuggled in here and doing what any intelligent person would do under emergency weather conditions ... I'm baking cookies! I had frozen the left over cookie dough from Christmas and just now pulled it out from the back of the freezer! :D

Nancy

Sharon your avatar is beautiful and the food sounds yummy.

Fran I don't mean to make light of your weather at all. I can only imagine how it can be very scarey/exciting/worrysome for those not use to it. And if you loose power that is not fun at all. It seems like the ice is the worst problem and that's what brings down the power lines. We don't get the ice very often because it's usually too cold and we have the lake so we just get hit with a lot of snow. For those who rarely get snow it is fun, I think there's a little kid in all of us. There is something exciting about being told to stay home and watch the weather from the comfort and warmth of your home. The kids will have a ball.

I actually like when we get a large storm, as long as all our family members are home safely. At least I know where everyone is and it's good family bonding time. It's very cold here, with wind chills below zero, but the sun is shining and that helps tremendously.

The good thing for you is that whatever snow falls will probably melt within the next couple days.

Nancy