Bad Storm - Checking In

susiestar

Roll With It
We still haven't gone anywhere. I can hear the wind howling, but nothing coming down.

husband said Bye and went outside to go to evening Mass. Ten minutes later he siad he would go to Mass tomorrow cause it was too icy. The car was really tough to scrape and the ground was a solid sheet of ice everywhere.

We will see what tomorrow is like. Today was boring.

donna723

Well, we're still right where we were ... only it's dropped down to 12 degrees! It won't go above freezing today so it doesn't look like this is melting off any time soon. I haven't been out of the house since Friday - well, I've been on the front porch, if that counts as 'outside'. The streets are a solid sheet of thick ice but there were a few more cars out yesterday than there were Friday. Obviously those are the lucky people who have garages. I'm still wondering how I'm going to get my car freed up from the snow and ice that are encasing it. After that freezing rain, the doors are probably frozen shut. We've got at least 8 or 9 inches of snow topped with a hard crust of thick ice. My bigger dog, Freebie, finally ventured down the icy steps into the yard. She weighs 38 pounds and the layer of ice over the snow is so solid that her feet don't sink in, she just walks around on the surface of it!

LittleDudesMom

Fran, snow boots sound in order. Spot was terribly cold last night going out - he went out, did #1 really fast and ran back to the door. difficult child took pity on him, shoveled him a path from the back steps, across the drive, and cleared a little patch of grass. He put the leash on him and led him to his spot - Success!

Our last snow in December smaller dogs could walk on. This snow is so light and fluffy that the little dogs disappear!!!

Stay warm all!

Sharon

donna723

Well, I am proud to say that I actually made it off the front porch today! It's still only about 32 degrees but it's nice and sunny and a lot of it is starting to melt. I even got across the street to where I park my car and got it all de-iced, which wasn't easy. There was a solid sheet of hard ice over the whole car, then 4" or 5" of hard packed snow, covered in at least an inch of crusty ice on top of the snow, but it had thawed enough that it wasn't too hard to get off. It looked so weird to see these sheets of clear ice coming off that were still in the shape of parts of the car - one piece in the shape of the door handle, another a perfect replica of a hub cap and one in the shape of my front tire! And the car started right up. Now if only the roads weren't still too slick to drive on! They've got a snow plow out now scraping the frozen slush off the road as best they can but it will all re-freeze tonight and be slick as glass in the morning!

But I think I can now safely say that we all survived the "Blizzard of 2010".

Last edited:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
donna, I would caution you when driving to give the big vehicles a wide berth because not everyone cleans off those ice sheets and when they come flying off the top of semis they can land with a crash (onto/into your windshield) if you are not careful. Stay safe and hope it melts quickly.......

donna723

I've decided that I'm going to give it one more day before I try to make it all the way in to work. It's going to get really cold tonight and all this mess on the road is refreezing. The furthest I'm going to go tomorrow is the grocery store ... maybe.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Nuttin' we got nuttin'.

I saw a supposed snow flake.....(everyone said "Oh wishful thinking) and I said "IT WAS NOT!" and then 10 minutes later 3,4,5....snow flakes....and I got "Oh look SNOW." and did anyone turn to me and say "OH ...you were right." ..noooooo. :confused: So I said again tongue in cheek;) "Did everyone see the snow?" and they all turned around and said "Well of course." So I said "Did everyone see the deer? Over there, way over there." I pointed. (there was no deer) but it kept 5 morons looking for nearly 10 minutes while I got my stuff, checked out and sashayed 1st in line out of the grocery store. :tongue: - yea tell me what you don't see. meh. (love that word) meh. :ashamed:

Nancy

My easy child is student teaching in NC. They had a snow day today and what's more, they are having one tomorrow too. Her friends back home can't believe it.

She went sled riding with her teaccher's family yesterday on their road and she said she never knew sled riding could be that fun. 35 mph down a steep road 1/2 mile long with four wheelers following to bring you back to the top. She said you don't need hills there like we have here for sled riding, they just use their roads lol. Everyone brings out their wooden sleds that have been in the family forever and they have a ball. Here we just use those cheap plastic sleds or round discs. It sounded like so much fun.

Nancy

donna723

I have friends who live near Ashville, NC and I think they had about the same amount of snow as we did - quite a bit.

klmno

They just plowed my cul-de-sac this evening. A neighbor helped me get my car thru the snow yesterday and I had parked it about a block away, where they had already plowed, to make sure I could get out today.

Now I heard that we might get another foot of snow this weekend or a mixture of snow and sleet.

DammitJanet

Nancy....welcome to neighborly NC!

Here when we get snow, we have been known to sled down the interstate embankments...lol. When the boys were young to mid teens, Tony took them out sledding by pulling them behind a toyota pickup and driving down an icy back dirt road. They loved it! yeah...safe...NOT! That was the year we got 18 inches.