Bad Weather

Kathy813

Staff member
Wendy, we had a balmy high of 26 degrees and it is currently 19 degrees with a windchill reading of 3 degrees.

Overnight, we are expecting windchills at 10 to 13 below zero.

Don't worry about me, though. I'll be snug as a bug in a rug since all of the metro Atlanta school districts have already announced that school will be closed tomorrow.

Southerners don't play when it comes to weather . . .
Snow? close schools
Ice? close schools
Cold? close schools

That's why I love the south.

~Kathy

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

Southerners don't play when it comes to weather . . .
Snow? close schools
Ice? close schools
Cold? close schools
And here in the frozen northland... school has been closed exactly ONCE in 50 years. Even if only have the kids and half the teachers make it. :D

DDD

Kathy, lol, don't forget that we also close schools if "a bad storm is brewing", "a hurricane may come our way" and then, of course, "we have suffered hurricane force winds and the cleanup must be done before our school buses can safely transport our children". Yep, God bless the South.

No wonder poor Scarlet had such a hard time to adjusting to the War. :) DDD

Kathy813

Staff member
They just said on ABC news that Atlanta is colder today than Anchorage, Alaska. So we are not just being big babies.

:snowball:

Cheryl, we really need some more cold weather pictures.

~Kathy

BusynMember

I did go out today with Jumper. I get stir crazy just being in the house and we went out for hot flavored coffee at our favorite coffee house in town. I warmed the car for 45 min. It still wasn't THAT warm.

The temp listed on the bank sign said negative seventeen. The windchill was unbelievable. I felt I had frostbitten cheeks just walking to the car and I was pretty bundled up. The schools are closed again tomorrow for brutal cold. I'm going out anyway. After a while, I, at least, have to get on with life. But, man, I hate this. I do like winter and the cold doesn't bother me, but this is beyond cold.

Tiapet

Old Hand
BRRR and brutal BRR! It is NOT suppose to be 2° here in TN! And that is without the windchill which they said got to -10! No way No how can I take this weather! I moved away from the cold. It just plain hurts me even being in the house. Then to top it off the furnace started acting up last night! We have a duel system and the upstairs is fine but the downstairs is the one not working. It started up again in the later evening but then quit sometime overnight so woke up to less then 50 this morning downstairs and it will NOT start back up! So now we have to get someone to come out which will not be easy as everyone needs them right now. This is so not cool! Strike that....it's beyond cool, it's down right frigid! I'm sitting with layers of clothes, blanket, heating pad and a sweater wrapped over my head even. I should go upstairs but can't live upstairs.

The even sadder part of this is we have a gas fireplace that we had turned off because we never had needed it. Went to turn it on today due to the situation and apparently there is a problem with the chimney or something. Gas smell and such backed up into the house making me sick immediately so we had to turn it right back off so can't use that now either to help the situation! UGH!

I need to go even more south! It's only gotten up to 6 now!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
6:49 AM and -27 F*. Windchill is -49 F* It is stupid cold out there. Got a letter from the management of our mobile home park that they will surcharge us for excess water use if we leave taps going. (water use is normally included in lot rent).

Hmmmm...an extra couple of hundred to the park management or an extra grand or two to the plumber to deal with frozen, burst pipes. THAT'S a no-brainer in my book. The taps are dripping. I have heating tapes but they aren't up to this type of cold having been installed shortly before I bought this dump.

Granted, my insurance would cover most of the damage caused by a burst pipe or three, assuming it even was repairable, but my insurance is for current value, not replacement value (apparently in WI, they don't write for the latter on mobile homes) on contents, so I'd be out several thousand dollars.

It's actually warmed up some: it was -31 F* with WC of -55 F* earlier when I went to bed. Woke up at 6AM because I was freezing. Grabbed another blanket to throw on the bed and then decided I was hungry.

Left over home made Mandarin Pork with brown rice is a bea

Californiablonde

I can't comment because I'm from California! But honestly I do feel really bad for y'all. I wish you the best and hope everyone stays safe.