Bags packed/watching hurricane

wakeupcall

Yikes........looks like the hurricane may be coming right at us. Two years ago when Katrina was coming and turned at the last min. to Louisiana, I was a wreck (lack of experience). I refuse to lose it this time....stay calm, stay calm (talking to self here). Anyone else sorta in the path?

mattsmom27

I hope it misses you for sure! Keep safe and you are right, panic isn't going to help, nor being a wreck. Prepare, be cautious, update us when you can!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You guys are really getting hit hard down there. My sis is in the flooded areas.

Get out if they want you to, keep safe. Don't blame you for being scared. I would be. And keep us updated.

Saying a prayer and crossing fingers it misses the coast all together.

Hugs

DammitJanet

I really must watch more news! There is a hurricane someplace?

This is what happens when I finally get satellite tv again...lmao.

Ok...I will give my standard hurricane advice. Pack up all valuables and make sure they are in the car with you. Get at least a 4 day supply of clean clothes for everyone, medications, life insurance, home owners insurance, health insurance policies. Make sure to have food for you and pets that are easy to eat.

2 gallons of water per person per day.

Fill gas tank.

get money out of bank or atm now.

Get batteries and have battery operated radio.

Lots of handheld games for difficult child...lol.

Steely

Yikes....I would be packing too.
I am in Dallas, and we are getting a bit of the aftermath of Erin, but nothing like what you guys are going through. I saw on the news last night about that Randalls roof collapsing that you mentioned in you post yesterday. Scary stuff. Stay safe, and dry. Is hubby home yet? How is difficult child doing with the stress? Keep us posted.

wakeupcall

husband says his chemical plant will make the decision tomorrow whether to close up the plant and evacuate or not. Most likely, they will. We live about three miles from the coast, so the scare for us in a hurricane is a storm surge. All of the construction on the roadways has been halted so that there will be good roads for contra-flow. Galveston is allowed to leave first....then the rest of us. Two years ago we left before all the traffic jams on the roads, thank goodness.

Guess we'll just stay tuned for now....

K

Kjs

I think I would leave. I don't like storms. Couldn't imagine a hurricane. I would be gone.
will be thinking of you. Be safe.

JJJ

I was trying to think which pets would be easiest to eat as well??? Maybe birds, probably taste like chicken LOL

DDD

Geez, I'm sure canines don't taste like hot dogs...even if they
are sweatin' hot. :rofl: DDD

Sara PA

Re Janet's advice to get a battery operated radio....you may want to consider wind-ups. I have a radio and a lantern and love them. No worry about having batteries and winding them up every hour or so gives us something to do when the electric's out.

Linky to the brand I happen to own.

DammitJanet

Now if you read the entire sentence it makes much more sense people...lol. At least I think it does. I am a bit cognitively impaired these days.

wakeupcall

WEll, here's the update for now. The chemical plant is not going to close...yet. It looks like the hurricane will go way south to the southern tip of TX or perhaps northern Mexico. I still have gotten most of our things ready so all it will be is throwing it all in the car if need be. I see it's growing in strength and I feel so sorry for those in Jamaica. A LOT of the homes in that area are like Tiki huts and can't withstand the winds.

Can't do much about Mother Nature........

DammitJanet

Well after living in hurricane alley for so many years I got used to them. I also had to work the shelters for the red cross for several years. We learned what to keep on hand to have ready for the emergencies.

You should always keep your homes stocked in case you have to ride out a storm at home and cant leave. That means at least three days of non perishable food and water for you and your pets. 2 gallons a day per person. Keep extra medications on hand for times like this. Batteries and a battery operated tv or radio...or wind up like Sara said. Generator if you can afford one is great. Extra gas for the generator. Make sure you have a manual can opener. Fill bathtub with water before power goes out. Have a regular phone available in case the power goes out and you cant use a cordless phone. cell phones will not be able to be charged unless you have a car charger. If you have the ability to charge batteries in your car...laptops are great to communicate with the outside world. So are cellphones if they have internet capability.

Just some stuff to think about.

TerryJ2

How did it go? I have another acqaintance who lives there and he said they got drenched but nothing extraordinary. Good luck!

Marguerite

Janet's advice is spot-on - in Australia we regularly get various disasters (hurricanes, only we call them cyclones; bushfires; floods; etc) and the broadcast advice is similar - keep your important papers in a plastic box with a sealed lid, so you can grab it when you need it. Keep important phone numbers handy by the phone (emergency services, friends/family contacts) and keep a radio on listening for news updates. A battery powered radio (with spare batteries) and/or wind-up like Sara suggested. Spare non-perishable food supplies, spare clothes packed (preferably in sealed plastic bags) and spare water, in bottles. Even if the water isn't cut off, you can lose the water quality.

Janet's suggestion of filling the bathtub - it's a good idea. DO NOT put bubble bath in it!
We filled the bathtub during the 1994 fires, just before the water supply failed. It was over a week before we had running water again. The bathtub was our only drinking water. We would go to the beach to swim, then when we got home we would get a bucketful of water from the tub and use it to sponge off the salt and the sand. Now we have a rainwater tank, we use that to rinse ourselves off after the beach. But we still would need drinking water.

Heat-waves are another time when you need to take precautions. You need to store bottle water again, because what comes out of the tap may be too hot to drink. About 18 months ago we had a really bad heatwave and I measured the tap water at over 60C, AFTER I'd been running the tap for several minutes.

A suggestion, especially since there is warm weather around - freeze some of the water in drink bottles. Don't over-fill them. Then, if the power goes out, you can use these drink bottles to chill your perishables for as long as possible. If you lose power leave your freezer and fridge closed for as long as possible, to keep the cold in.

Keep safe, keep as dry as possible. Thinking of you, hope you are safe. By now you probably are.

Marg