Baking Question....

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hello all you cookie-bakers out there!

I want to take a regular cookie recipe and instead of "dropping by rounded spoonfuls" on a baking sheet, just spreading in a pan as cookie bars.

Does anyone know how to figure the baking time?

Thanks!

--DaisyFace

klmno

I'd probably set it for the same- then stand there and watch it with the light on. LOL! If you are spreading it out as one "sheet" with plans to cut them into bars after they cook, I'd think it might take a little longer.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
If you are spreading it out as one "sheet" with plans to cut them into bars after they cook, I'd think it might take a little longer.

I think so too...

bake time for cookies is 9 to 11 minutes at 375 degrees...

I ahve turned the heat down to 325 and I am starting the bars at 15 minutes...thinking that I'll probably have to go at least 25 to 30 minutes baking.

I hope they turn out OK!

(If not, I guess I'll just have to eat my "ruined" chocolate-chip oatmeal bars all by myself...O well)

muttmeister

I don't know about the recipe you are making but an example: if you make regular chocolate chip cookies you bake them at 375 for 9-11 minutes. If you spread the same recipe in a 10x15 pan, you bake them at the same temperature for 20 to 25 minutes. Whatever you are making should be comparable.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Thanks Muttmeister!

I knew there had to be a simple "rule of thumb" for cookies vs bars.

I'll let you know how they turn out!

Kathy813

Staff member
Found this on the web. . .

Do you have a favorite cookie recipe that you'd like to make into a bar? The key in the transition is to match the amount of batter to the size of the pan. A standard 9-by-13-inch pan will hold 4 to 5 cups of dough. When selecting which cookie recipe, a drop cookie dough works best. Others, such as rolled, shaped or batter recipes, may also work well; it just isn't as easy. Spread the dough in the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. There aren't any precise times for baking, so keep a close eye on them and check for doneness with a toothpick or cake tester. It should come out with only a few crumbs attached.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I always make the toll house choc. chip cookies in a pan...... bake at same temperature but 20-25 minutes...... yummo

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Mmmmmmmmm.......

So I baked the cookie bars at 325 for a little more than 30 minutes and ooooooooo do they look good!!!!

Thanks for the help!

:D