Beagle ears bleed....A LOT.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
difficult child doesn't have school this week, so we're home. He just let his new dog back in from outside, and came SCREAMING to me. The dog was covered in blood. You can see where it dripped all the way thru the house, in a perfect path, everywhere she went.

I saw the dog; I saw the blood trail; and I thought "Oh, *&^%, this is going to be bad."

I got the dog on the leather couch (its leather - aka cleanable). difficult child brought a towel, 3 boxes of bandaids, vet wrap, and antibiotic ointment (I had asked for a towel). I wiped the dog down, and the only place I could find that was bleeding was a large scratch on the inside of her ear. But it was a gusher. Several minutes of pressure later, the ear was no longer bleeding, and I did a more thorough assessment of other blood stained areas and found nothing. NOTHING. All this blood from a cut on a beagle-ish ear. Applied some antibiotic ointment, and assurred we difficult child that she's not going to die.

Spent the next 20 minutes cleaning the couch and the blood trail.

I suspect she and Susie were wrestling, since its a favorite pasttime of theirs, but Susie doesn't seem to have any blood on her, so I'm not sure. Of course, Susie isn't white, and probably wasn't standing beside her when she shook it all over creating, either.

I just hope I don't find a dead chicken (or anything else) in the yard later...

witzend

Ears bleed like crazy! She could have got those long floppies caught on a snaggly branch or rough patch of fence, too. Hope everyone will be ok! Keep that ointment on it so it doesn't dry out and start bleeding again.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Anything above the neck bleeds like a flurry. Have you never hit your head on an open cupboard? ;)

Poor doggie.

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, yes I have. I just can't fathom THAT much blood coming from a 30 pound dog ear.

She laid on the bed while we had lunch, and apparently started bleeding again. THRU the sheets AND mattress pad, so I'm washing more stuff!

difficult child is still afraid she's going to die. No chicken parts in the yard, so her prognosis is good. lol (j/k, by the way)