Bed Bug Phobia

bby31288

Ok everyone, everytime I turn on the news I am hearing about bed bugs everywhere. The fear is taking over my life. I am afraid to sleep, I am physically afraid to go to the movies, the thought of going into a store and trying on clothes, to visiting other peoples homes makes me hyperventilate. It has started to wear off on my kids. I don't want that to happen. They are starting to question whether they should go out or over to a friends house.

I am not sure what I should do.....

tiredmommy

First... turn off the tv.

Then, do some research on how to avoid a bed bug infestation. As an example, we never place luggage on a bed or other upolstered furniture, wash linens and clothing in the hottest water possible and regularly vaccuum mattresses and other furniture. (I'm a bugophobe too!)

flutterby

Fly away!
That seems to be above and beyond just being hypervigilant. It is impacting your life, and now your kids'. I would make an appointment with a therapist who has experience with phobias.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I agree, turn off the tv and don't read what's on the internet.

Stop and take a moment to first consider if you're even near high risk. If you are, such as if you stay in hotels frequently, take the precautions that TM listed above.

I'm a bit of a bugaphobe and germaphobe. At a certain point, you realize you have no control over things and as long as you're taking the necessary precautions within your power, you should be able to let the paranoia go. However, you should see your Dr about it if you are still having trouble.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Bedbug infestations are certainly on the rise, but I believe they are being hyped by the media to make things sound worse than they really are. Honestly I think you have a better chance of catching lice, or certainly a cold, than you do of getting bitten by bedbugs by going to a public place. Definitely educate yourself, and if the fear truly is making it difficult for you to leave your house, a visit to a therapist might not be a bad idea.

shellyd67

I am obsessed with the whole bed bug thing too ! I keep and immaculate house and I am a freak about the kids bedding and sheets.... Even before the bed bug issue I didn't allow their friends on their beds with shoes on etc .... I have checked all the mattresses numerous times ... each time I have alittle anxiety hoping I don't find anything ... So far so good ... We stayed in a hotel a few weeks back while out of town for a wedding and that freaked me out too but we had no choice .... BED BUGS STAY AWAY PLEASE !!!! :anxious:

bby31288

Thanks all. Some good advice. If it contiues at this pace I will def make appointment with a therapist.

I admit Shelly, I check the mattresses every day. I was thinking of buying those big plastic bags that you slide your mattress into and seal it. Then the box spring too. That might help my anxiety a little.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK... Voice of reason stepping in... LOL!

We dealt with a MAJOR infestation of the nasty little things. Orkin came in. Mattress covers, pesticides. They came back. Tried heat in the worst area (Onyxx's room). They came back. Tried all the home remedies. They came back. Tried stuff you buy online. They came back.

We found a pesticide that, coupled with heat, worked.

We still find one occasionally. They're pervasive little (ahem) buggers.

Good news though. They're annoying as all get out, but aside from itchy little welts (and not everyone gets those), they're harmless. Just icky!

Don't get too crazy about it though. If you have a small spray bottle, fill it with rubbing alcohol. Then you can spray your purse, luggage, lightly with it. It will scare them off, as well as kill them. (We've gone through GALLONS of the stuff, but they have since avoided Jett's room like the plague - BEFORE we used the pesticide.)

They leave me alone, too. I think they know I'm the alcohol-sprayer-person.

There are none in my new bedroom, or in the house, at this time. That doesn't mean I won't find another someday. But now I know it's not being dirty or nasty people that causes the infestation.

Hugs. And if the fear gets debilitating, please, see a therapist.

TerryJ2

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I would definitely turn off the TV and see your therapist.
We have problems with-fleas, but it only lasts a day or two ea time and I'm on top of it. One easy thing is to use lavender oil and just put a drop or two on the sheets at night.
More time consuming and more effective, is to bathe the dogs, treat them, then wash all the sheets and bedpads and spray the mattresses with-something. NOT Lysol. I hate that smell. GreenWorks or Nature's Miracle are good products that won't hurt humans that much. I'm not into pesticides very much. They mimick hormones and I've already had breast cancer once ... don't need it again.
Also, there are powders you can buy to sprinkle on the carpet and vaccuum up.

I agree, don't put suitcases on the beds, nor shoes.

Wish I kept an immaculate house like you do.
Sigh.

DammitJanet

I agree the media is hyping this up big time.

My house is a mess. I dont think I have had a new mattress since I have been an adult. We either get them from second hand stores or egads...some of them we have been given from the stores that sell new mattresses when they bring back old bedding. We have never had a bedbug infestation. Not once. Oddly, we have never had lice either. And its not because my boys had crew cuts because none of them did until they were adults. Jamie had long hair down past his shoulders as a kid. Cory and Billy's werent that long but they were scissor cut.

If you are that worried, they do sell covers in the mattress pad isle that are called bedbug bags.

Lothlorien

I hear ya. I live in NJ too and hear about them constantly. I know someone who works for a pest company and she's got me a little paranoid about them too. It's been horrible here. It's on top of my skeeve list right now.