Been off my game of late....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
This past Tuesday night I landed in ER with severe agitation, confusion & pain. I don't remember where the pain was to tell you the truth.

My niece, almost nephew, & kt took me in ~ my temp was a bit high (105), I couldn't move my neck all the way & immediately I was taken to isolation. Spinal taps, MRIs, cat scans - phew/whew no encephalitis or meningitis.

Turns out a raging bladder/kidney infection along with pneumonia can turn you into a raving lunatic. kt's been telling anyone who will listen that I'm "not in my right mind"; not true I live mostly there but she won't believe me.

Spent the night in hospital with IV fluids & morphine drips going; sent home with mega doses of antibiotics. Today I can say that I feel almost human again.

So if you're agitated & confused (not difficult child related) make sure you don't have a raging bladder infection.

busywend

I knew this was the case with my Nana - she jumped over a nurse's station counter to attack one of the nurses - AFTER hip surgery which is the reason she was in the hospital. Surgery was only 2 days old! It was the catheter that gave her the Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).

Glad you are feeling better.

donna723

OMG, Linda! Anybody would be "off their game" with a fever of 105! I'm so glad they found out what was wrong and that you're getting treatment for it now. That must have been really frightening!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I kept telling people I was being poisoned by my doctors ~ all the medications were making me sick. I don't remember saying this however my niece who is a SW felt I'd end up in psychiatric if I didn't settle down. She don't know me too well, does she?

This has been the "lost" week ~ little I remember; some of the details have been shared with me. Others thru my GP after the outpatient follow up.

It's good to be back - may still be off my nut, Star. It's not a bad place to be. :)

Steely

Oh Linda - I SO feel for you. I have had many kidney infections, kidney stones, and UTIs - although none with a fever of 105. WOW! No wonder you are off your game. Geez.

Because I have had so many, I now know when they are coming. I start to get really tired, and depressed - but in a subtle way. Once I realize that I am more than normally tired and depressed I can be pretty sure one is brewing and I get antibiotics.

Hugs.

flutterby

Fly away!
A kidney infection feels like no other infection/illness I've ever had. I turned the a/c on in November with one of mine and lost days.

Once you've had one like that, though, you'll not fail to recognize it again. I appear to recognize mine before it shows up in the urinalysis by up to two days.

I'm glad you're feeling better, and that niece and almost nephew were there to take you to the ER and take care of you. They can go from nasty to deadly pretty fast.

And..."off my nut" is not really a bad place to be. :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow Linda. I'm glad you're better!

Nothing like a raging Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or renal failure to send you off to La La land. lol Would like to say I haven't had that experience......but I have had many times for both things. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s I have no trouble dxing for myself............the acute renal failure is too tricky.....cuz by the time it reaches that point my thought processes aren't working right anymore.

I went to the ER once for a massive headache and bladder spasms that refused to quit. Next thing I know I'm getting an oxygen mask and ER staff are being much too attentive.......and doctor will not leave my side, which I found irritating as heck. I mean when you've got a massive headache last thing you want is a party in your cubicle! Took him a very long time to get it through to my muddled brain I was in acute renal failure............... Those toxins get built up in your blood and really mess with the brain. (same can happen with a severe enough Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) too)

I had a scary incident in clinicals with this sort of thing. Lady came in for a virus.....bit of dehydration, no huge deal. She wasn't my patient. I was caring for the lady next to her. Poor woman didn't have the most attentive (or bright) nurse on the unit. As I was bathing my patient and making her bed, this lady kept saying all this nonsense stuff then would act dopey and drunk......super sleepy. I called her nurse in twice as she nearly fell out of bed. (I thought diabetic) Nurse said she wasn't diabetic.....repositioned her and left. Few mins later her fam doctor comes in. He's trying to talk to her. She can't hold her eyes open and is not making any sense. I rush over when again she nearly falls out of the bed. doctor can't rouse her. I can't rouse her. doctor has a fit. Turns out she's a dialysis patient. He grabbed her chart.........she had missed her last two scheduled times!

Learned in nursing school that fatigue/confusion are big indicators for acute renal failure...........but you really don't "get" what they mean by that until you live it or watch a patient experience it. Scary stuff.

Take all your medications, and hope you get well soon.

((((hugs)))))

Lothlorien

Glad you are okay. I had a kidney/Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) after I had Missy(had emergency surgery and a catheter immediately after her birth). I was a bit of a lunatic myself. I didn't have a fever (rarely ever get those), but I can tell you that I did feel human again after starting the antibiotics and I realized what a nutcase I'd been.

DDD

Phew/Whew! So glad your problem was identified promptly and taken care of with diligence. Stay well. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Any sort of that kind of infection can throw you way out of whack. I can tell a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) miles away, and start guzzling cranberry juice - but then, mine come on so fast - one I had, I noticed symptoms that morning, by noon I was at Urgent Care being yelled at by the doctor for "letting" it get so bad. When did I notice? He demanded. Uh... 3 hours ago?! My urine was - I kid you not - BROWN due to the amount of blood in it. And I wasn't holding it...

So I'm not surprised you were out of it, hon. Just take care of you, right now. And I am really, really glad you're feeling better.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Starbie ~ no move being planned as of yet. I'm meeting with my brother & sister in law to determine what will/will not have to be done to achieve another interstate move. I hate moving to begin with.

However, this latest hospital visit put the fear of God into me. The last time I was hospitalized kt ended up in one of the worst girls shelters (now closed down) in the Metro area. kt spent the first night with me in the hospital while family & treatment team scrambled. Being closer would lift that very heavy burden off my shoulders ~ I know kt could & would be taken in by any number of my family. I'm very grateful my niece & almost nephew are here in town ~ I just can't count on them all the time. They both travel for work. I was darned lucky this time around.

The truth Starbie is I love my little house ~ it's full of memories of Steve & myself during our happier, more carefree times. I want to hang onto those memories if that makes sense.

I guess nothing is happening.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Who wouldn't get that Linda?

What if......You and KT made a video tape of you walking through the house room by room and talking about memories of each room - you narrate as you walk through and let KTbug talk about some of her memories too? That way - IF/when you did have to move - and you wanted to 'see' those rooms again? Instead of having it only in your mind? You would have it on DVD or VHS or whatever - and don't forget to put one in a vault. That way you, KT and WM would always have memories to look at anytime.

Just a thought.