Behavior after Turkey day vacation

L

luvmyottb

I knew it would be rough after 5 days of no school. difficult child comes home today and wants to get on the computer for her play time.

Let's get your homework done first and then you can play. The snarky, nasty side comes out and rips her spelling word list and tells me she left her Math assignment at school. She tells me her teacher didn't give her Math today.

I found the Math and spelling assignment buried in her agenda. How I dislike the fact she is kind and sweet to everyone at school and I get the nastiness. You always say the meanest things to the ones you are most comfortable with. I guess it is an honor. She ended up sitting on my lap and let me rock her for about 10 minutes and she calmed down and now seems settled. Maybe she needs hugs after a long day of holding her emotions together. :peaceful:

How were your difficult child's today after vacation???

I think she is going to be OK for now,

jal

My difficult child shocked me. A little tough to get up, as we slept in all vacation, but not bad at all. Ate, dressed and got ready without a fuss (very rare). Came home from school, had a very good day according to behavior chart and note from teacher. He put on a video game and husband said, we need to do homework first. difficult child shut if off, came right over and did his math and reading. Not one complaint. My difficult child is only 6 and just getting used to homework. If every day of our lives was like this we would be in heaven. 1 down 4 more to go, UGH!

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
Jess has been great about doing her work. Very self-starting, which I thoroughly appreciate.

thank you was up at his usual O'dark thirty am, and ready to leave for the bus an hour early. That is rather usual for him. I think he will be overwhelmed after school, but will settle down fairly easily as soon as he gets some decent food in his tummy. He usually eats what amounts to a meal right after school and then won't eat dinner.

It is no biggie, he has been like this since birth - not wanting anything to eat in the evening. If he gets junk after school though it is awful the next morning.

I hope everyone has a good day today, and for the rest of the week.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My difficult child's did ok with homework today. But we are right back into our normal routine: after school, they all get about 30 minutes of down time to have a snack and do whatever they want (within reason) before hitting the books. Helps them to blow off some steam and recharge their batteries.

LittleDudesMom

gcvmom and I think alike - I was going to suggest a little down time first. My kids have always had down time before starting their homework. They've been working for usually six hours and I know my difficult child needs a break. He gets home around 3 and homework starts at 5. He knows, after this schedule for years, there is no complaint and no options - 5:00 is homework time. Another thing we do - when he has a test we save the studing for bedtime. I've found I can get more out of him if he is relaxed and lying in bed. I will lay there, or sit in a chair, and go over facts with him before he reads.

Star*

call 911........call 911
You can ALSO petition the school via her IEP to reduce the amount of homework she has AND get a tutor provided IN school to DO that homework BEFORE she comes home at the School District's expense.

Know what I mean????

And.....of course.....a snack!

L

luvmyottb

She has an IEP and we have limited homework, but we can petition for tutor for homework in school??? Really???

crazymama30

difficult child is doing well after the break, better than during the break. I think he needs that structure, and I need to find a way to give it to him.

My difficult child must be the odd guy out, he does his homework as soon as he gets home, usually on his own accord. I try to remind him to do this too, as he has an easier time doing his homework before the daytrana wears off. After that he can be a wild man.