Behavioral Management Therapy??

Mandy

Parent In Training
I am kind of on the fence as to whether or not to go ahead with the therapy. When we went to difficult child's appointment. with the new Dr. she stated that unless he was stabalized with his medications therapy would not work at this point. His psychologist just gave me the option of going ahead and scheduling it so I did. Should I be postponing the therapy until he is stabalized?? We just started .25mg of Risperdal and have only been on it for a week. I have to go to his Dr. monthly until we find out what medication(s) will work with him. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!:D

BusynMember

Hi, Mandy (I love your name).
My layman mom's opinion is that it's true. Until the child is stable, behavioral management in my opinion is a wash because the child doesn't have the control he needs for it to be useful. And often after he IS stabilized you find that the need for behavioral management is a lot less. in my opinion behavioral management works best for "typical" children who just need someone to reign them in a bit. I'm not convinced it works well for OUR kids, especially when they are unstable. On the other hand, you can always give it a try, but don't have high expectations.
Good luck!

Mandy

Parent In Training
Thanks so much Midwest Mom! That is also what his Dr. said and what my thinking was to begin with. I love love his new Dr. because she also as a difficult child with BiPolar (BP)! How awesome is that! She said is ODD behaviors will go away once stabalized and I really don't want to be spending an hour or more every 2 weeks for something I know probably isnt doing any good! I think we are going to stick with the plan to stabalize him first and then go from there. Actually when he is in his "baseline" mood he actually is very respectful and considerate. I explained to his Dr. that I get a glimpse of the real him every once in awhile and he is a great little guy inside of there:D

aeroeng

Mom of Three
Yes we had loads of luck with BM with child #3 (a normal kid), but none with child #2 (my difficult child). If you can afford it, it probably won't hurt him, but might wast your time and money. It might be a better stratigy to hold off a little.