Beneath a Scotsman's Kilt for Lil and Jabber :O)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's amazing...I remember hearing that joke in YIDDISH as a child. (And getting chased out of the sun parlor by the adults when they realized I was listening in.)

Scent of Cedar *

Going, I did not know your cat is missing her eye. We have friends whose tiny dog developed glaucoma. They needed to have his eye removed, too. He is doing fine.

How did she lose her eye, Going?

We have not had a cat thread, lately. Our cat has taken to sitting in the kitchen sink. She looks so happy. We turn the faucet on sprinkle for her and she will sit there for thirty minutes at a time.

So happy.

D H hates that she is up on the counter and in the sink. But she looks so happy that the other day, I saw him turn the faucet on for her, too.

We think she may be developing diabetes. She is something like eighteen years old.

Cedar

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Cedar, diabetes is a possiblity at her age. Another illness to check for is overactive thyroid (hyPERthyroidism), which isn't that uncommon in elderly cats.

OK, Squeaky, Thomas' supervisor, was born with micropthalmia in her left eye. This is a birth defect in which the eye doesn't form normally.

Squeaky's case, the eye was basically a blob of tissue made up of random, partially formed eye parts. In additon to being totally blind, and not very pleasant to look at, the eye was constantly infected and causing her a lot of pain.

Her vet and I, after fighting with the infections and trying unsuccessfully to control Squeaky's pain, decided to have the eye removed.

From Squeaky's point of view, since she never had vision in that eye, she went from her eye hurting all the time, to her eye hurting a LOT for two weeks (she had srong medications), then to finally not being in pain at all.

It was after the surgery that Squeaky's socialization was able to progress and she turned into the little lover she is today.

The sad thing is that Squeaky was approximately 4 years old when i adopted her, and had suffered since infancy with that eye.

Micropthalmia in cats is most often caused by the mother having an active herpes infection during early pregnancy. This is why it is mostly seen in stray, barn, feral, and hoarder's cats, which often aren't vaccinated (Herpes in cats causes upper respiratory iinfection and the 3 in one, or "distemper" shot covers it.)

Squeaky was seized by Animal Control from a hoarding situation as an adult with 4 fat little kittens at her side. She was skin and bones. The kittens were adopted out as soon as they were old enough, but no one wanted Squeaky because of the eye and because she was a "plain vanilla" tabby cat.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
nlj, the Jewish version of the story was also a "folk tale/joke"; one not considered suitable for tender ears.

The version I heard involved a Polish soldier who passed out drunk and two Jewish girls who wanted to see what an uncircumcised man looked like. As a joke, after they got their eyeful, one of the girls tied her hair ribbon around the item in question.

The rest of the story is identical, other than a pun on a Yiddish term that both has a legitimate meaning and a very vulgar one