best day I've had in a long time

pigless

I admit that I've learned tons working with the pre-K set. One of my toughest kids has been a little girl who refuses to talk. It isn't that she can'ttalk; I've heard her say a few things here and there.

I think she's been afraid to speak since her parents are in a custody dispute.

She's been communicating with me for months now completely nonverbally. I know she's smart, but I've been concerned about what will happen to her when she goes to kindergarten if she still won't speak.

I've been working on evaluations for all the short people this week, and there are several questions that must be answered orally. I had the bright idea to take this little girl away from the rest of the class to ask her the questions.

Once I had her alone, she hesitated looking like a kid attempting to blow a bubble with bubblegum, then she just burst forth with everything.

When we got back to the classroom, she gave me a big hug, told me she loved me and told jokes to her classmates. She spoke to every teacher and had the biggest, brightest, most beautiful smile on her face that I've ever seen.

OK, one without the pigs, I am now wiping away my tears! What an awesome post! That little girl is so blessed to have you in her life. Just think of how far she can go now that she has "found her voice" as well as someone she can trust.

Yeah you!!!

Hugs,
Vickie

Wiped Out

Staff member
How wonderful-Pigless-you probably have helped this little girl in more ways than you know-Bravo to you! :flower:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Pigless, reading your post reminded me of a book by Torey Hayden where she writes about working with a student who is voluntarily mute. I forget which book it is but all of her books are wonderful....and they are all true stories!

http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-054...n&Go.x=5&Go.y=5

Good for you for having such a positive impact on your young student's life. :bravo:

Suz

kris

<span style="color: #993399">OMG! OMG!! OMG!!!

if it wasn't 6:24a.m. your phone would be ringing!!!

tears on face. heart beating rapidly.

best news i've heard in a good long time!!!!

kris :princess: :princess: :princess: :princess: :princess: :princess: </span>