Best way to handle going to two Thanksgivings

BusynMember

Since I got married the first time, this was never an issue because my family of origin either didn't have Thanksgiving or I didn't go (I think it was the former). This year, we invited husbands brother-in-law and sister over to Thanksgiving as well as our small Wisconsin family as it is too soon f or me to travel to Chicago. Jumper's boyfriend's parents have just also invited us and we'd like to go. Any way to manage this?

InsaneCdn

Only kind-of tongue-in-cheek:

1) start eating big meals twice a day for a few days, about a week ahead of "the day" - it stretches your stomach so you can handle more food.

2) cooking your own company meal - do something other than turkey. I know, I know, turkey is traditional. But so is... duck, goose, venison, pork... somehow, it's easier to eat two big meals if it isn't a repeat

3) As you are doing the cooking for the one at your house (I assume), beg off eating much at that one because "you're too busy - I can eat later"

KTMom91

When both Hubby's family and mine are planning meals, we have lunch with one and dinner with the other.

Scent of Cedar *

This year, we invited husbands brother-in-law and sister over to Thanksgiving as well as our small Wisconsin family as it is too soon f or me to travel to Chicago. Jumper's boyfriend's parents have just also invited us and we'd like to go. Any way to manage this?

What do you think you will do, Serenity?

(Jumper has a relationship close enough that family are spending holidays together? :O) I love this for her.)

What would Jumper like you to do?

It is a special thing, to be invited to share family holidays. Each family's traditions are so different. Where I grew up, men would hunt in the morning, and watch football in the afternoon. Dinner would be between games (or at halftime), and would be fancy as could be. I still remember being a little girl watching the number of minutes left in the game and being so surprised when two minutes would stretch into an hour.

Yum on the leftovers.

Where we live in summer, the men still hunt this time of year. Football is huge, and everyone is a Packer or Vikings fan and goes to little bars to drink beer on snowmobiles and those poor dead dear are hanging everywhere or are on the hoods of people's cars and it's snowing.

And women hunt, too.

But not me.

A lady friend there: "Cedar, you do have that nerd thing going on."

It's the rhythm of life, there. Not only the changing of the seasons, but the intense involvement in every aspect of internal life. That is where the vitality springs from, there where everything is so changeable. Clothing and food and the colors of everything, changing all the time.

Very cozy and friendly there compared to here, where the weather is always some version of warm.

I must miss home.

Turkey tastes best when it's snowing outside.

BusynMember

What do you think you will do, Serenity?
Oh, Cedar. She would love for us to go to her boyfriend's Thanksgiving with her. And I would love to go. This is a great family that we have known all of Jumper's life. But we already invited Tom's sister and husband over...we can't. Jumper is very mature and practical about most things and she just said, "Ok. Maybe another time." She is going to help me make Thanksgiving this year anyway since both of my arms are hard to use and my hand is broken. She will begin Thanksgiving with us then drive to boyfriend's later (with boyfriend).