Beware of solicitation pm

Nancy

I got a pm today from a new member trying to get me to click on a link to check for viruses on my computer. I sent Cheryl a pm with the information and I'm sure she will be deleting this meber's registration but wanted to alert you not to open a link from this person.

Nancy

tiredmommy

Yes, the member is banned. I got a pm from another member but Cheryl had beat me to banning.

Do not click on any links you receive from a new or unknown member!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No, and I can't figure out what they and spammers get out of it.

Some of the people who create computer viruses are the same people who write (and sell) programs to rid your computer of those same viruses. And some of them are just malicious hackers who are on a power trip to see how many people's lives they can disrupt.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Usually, with these types of attachment, if you load the software you install a "bot" software that takes control of your computer in the background and makes it part of a "bot herd" used to send out mass emails and the like.

These quite commonly come from Asia and the former Eastern Bloc countries. Also, don't forget that return addresses can be "spoofed" as well, so the mail looks like it is coming from someone that it isn't.

Spammers get something because even if you send out millions of emails, 1 in a thousand will respond to them, and that's plenty of profit for them.