Bifocals

Lothlorien

I went to the eye doctor today. I usually go about once a year. I noticed that my eyes have been getting over tired lately and one day, a couple weeks ago, my right eye was sore...almost like a bruise or something. Anyway, I go for the exam and he said that dirty word! :surprise:

$450 bucks later, I will have the transitions next week. :faint:

I am too young, it's just not fair! whaaaaaaa :sad:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Loth, you are kind of young for bifocals, although I started wearing reading glasses in my late 30's. It wasn't until I needed a bit of distance help that I went to bifocals and that was in my early 40's.

If you are starting the usual "decline", don't be surprised if your prescription changes every year for awhile. You have my sympathies.

Here's the new you..... :cool: (look sideways) :wink:

Suz

slsh

member since 1999
I hear you Loth. I also got the very depressing bifocal news at 38. I blew it off until just last year though I did buy el-cheapo reading glasses to go with- my contacts. I finally had to bite the bullet and get bifocals. Totally splurged, did the transitions plus got the antiglare thing since I'm perpetually staring at a computer screen. I absolutely *adore* them. See so much better now. I was really worried about having to get used to the bifocal part, but there really wasn't much of an adjustment at all. I did discover that I tend to walk looking at my feet and that's not a good thing to do with- bifocals... but while I figured that little detail out, I provided good comic relief to the neighborhood while tripping my way through my daily walks. :rofl: I also discovered I can't lie in bed and watch TV because I tend to look out the bottom of my glasses. But... my goodness, it was amazing to see what I *hadn't* been seeing for so long.

Good luck - hope you love 'em as much as I do!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Wow...now I REALLY feel old. I started wearing them at age 8. I'm almost 46 and I still haven't adjusted to wearing them. Every year I try a slightly different pair thinking it might help me adjust between the two different prescriptions, but nothing has ever worked. (Last pair was almost $600 worth of transitions.) I'm naturally clumbsy so these did not help that issue.

I've finally given up and only wear them when I need to read. :wink:

Abbey

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I went with the transition lenses as well. I got a two for one special & ordered the prescription sunglasses as well.

I believe I got my first prescription for bifocals around the age of 39 or 40.

All of my work (accounting/computer) & free time activities are very hard on the eyes.

Lothlorien

I noticed that after Mighty was born that I couldn't see things close to my face. Missy likes to put things right in front of my face, which bugs the bejeezers out of me, but that and the fact that I couldn't see Mighty's face very clearly up close, made me realize that my eyes were changing, but I really didn't do anything about it then, because they say your eyes change with pregnancy. Recently, husband (who's been wearing coke bottles forever) can see signs, with his contacts in, down the road that I cannot with my glasses.

Sue, he told me to buy reading glasses from the drug store, low strength, for use with my contact. My dad wears those. My <span style='font-size: 14pt'>great-grandparents </span>wore them. UGH! :rolleyes:

busywend

Loth, I am feeling for you! We are the same age. I have had a bit of blurriness, but it comes and goes. I am thinking within 2 years I will be getting my very first ever paid of glasses. Bummer.

donna723

:wink:

I got bifocals at around age 50, but I needed them a loooong time before that. I really didn't need that much correction for distance when I got them (I probably do now), but they help. I could have gotten by with just the lenses for reading and close work, but I got the bifocals because I didn't want to be constantly taking them on and off. Without my glasses on, I can't read much at all and I can't see the computer screen. Once I got used to them, it felt funny when I was walking around without them - everything is just a little "off". Mine are the "no-line" bifocals so they don't really look that dorky or granny-ish. But I can only see close up things out of the bottom of the lenses so I'm constantly tilting my head back so I'm just looking out the bottom half. Makes me look kind of snotty at work - like I really care!

:smile:

amy4129

Loth-
I hear you, my birthday last year (40) and a week after I went to the eye doctor and I heard the dirty word.
:cool:
I now have a different contact for each eye, and after about a week I love them.
Amy

witzend

I got my first bi-focals when I was 28. Now nearly 20 years later, (it seems like yesterday!) even though I have had my lasik to fix my astigmatism, I still need cheaters to see anything fine print.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I just got bifocals for the first time last August! I thought I was too young but they really do help!

ScentofCedar

Well, I am still just using the reading glasses from WalGreen's.

But I have a funny story about needing glasses when we have never had to use them, before.

As many of you know, I was a nurse. Well, I only needed the glasses for close work (injections and so on). So, I kept them in my uniform pocket. Whenever I needed to, I would whip them out, put them on, do what I needed to and stick them back in my pocket. All in one smooth operation, until the day I realized that, at some point during the day, one of the lenses had fallen out.

Can you imagine what my patients must have thought as, smiling reassuringly at them through my one lense, I proceeded with whatever it was I was going to do to them?

HA!

True story.

Barbara

:rofl:

Lothlorien

Barbara, you are a riot! I have this mental picture of a nurse in a white hat and uniform squinting through one lense to give an injection. :rofl:

dreamer

UG I got my first bifoclas last fall and tho I wear them everyday I HATE them, cannot stand them AT ALL...........and find myself using my 10 yr old glasses instead ----took me too long to save up for the dang bifoclas.......cannot afford more glasses for awhile...........and I just cannot get used to them at all. it stinks.

Nancy

I have bifocal contact lenses and have to wear readers over them. I don;t want to give up my contacts but they can't correct my near vision any better without making the far vision worse. And on top of that I have astigmatism.

I wish I could just wear glasses and be done with it but I have never gotten use to glasses even though I had to wear them since I was four years old. I got contacts in high school and anytime I have to wear my glasses for a day I get a horrible headache.

Nancy

dreamer

I wish I could try contacts, but my fingers would not tolerate trying to get them in and out and my eyes- I have sjogrens with my Lupus-RA and I think that means contacts would be bad.........--- LOL- I always wanted bluer contacts, LOL, my eyes are light blue and I think deeper blue eyes might be really cool.

LOL, my son wanted his prosthetic shell to have a picture of something- I cannot remember what? a skull and cross bones? YIKES! I can say he HATES the glasses he is supposed to wear to protect his good eye.

rejectedmom

I wear them also have had gradient lenzes for about 12 years so that means I started at 43. My daughter started in HS. She doesn't wear hers much. Only when driving. Too vain. She would rather not see. -RM

donna723

I was never vain about wearing my glasses. I figure the bottom of my frames kind of covers the bags under my eyes!

:wink:

I just have to share this story ... but it's kind of "sick". My grandmother always insisted that she DID NOT need glasses and got fightin' mad when anyone suggested that she did. Then one day when she was in her mid-seventies she suddenly relented and started wearing glasses! I was a kid at the time and never knew why until one of my older cousins told me recently. My grandmother always had a canary in a cage in her dining room. Some she had for quite a while, and when the canaries eventually did die, they were quickly replaced. Then suddenly her canaries started dropping like flies! Some would last a week, some only a few days, and then she'd find them feet-up on the bottom of the cage. After she went through a half-dozen canaries in a few weeks, one of my aunts thought to look in her cabinet to see what she was feeding them, if anything could be wrong with their birdseed. There WAS no birdseed! Instead of the one box of seed and one box of gravel that should be there, there were TWO boxes of gravel and NO birdseed! Because she couldn't see well enough to read the boxes, she had bought a second box of gravel instead of birdseed. And she couldn't see well enough to tell that she was filling their food dish with gravel! And after a steady diet of nothing but little rocks, the poor things just fell off the perch and died! She was so embarassed that she swore my aunt to secrecy. And for the rest of her life she insisted that there had been some kind of canary epidemic that killed all her pets, and that she had started wearing glasses because she d*mned well wanted to! No connection at all!

:smile:

Nancy

OMG Donna, those poor little birdies.

My Grandmother had canaries too, lots of them. She and my Grandfather raised canaries and parakeets.

Nancy