Big day today...Cory and I are going to the psychiatrist!

DammitJanet

Now today is just a normal appointment for me but Cory hasnt been to a psychiatrist in years and years.

I told him he needed to go and he agreed to the appointment. I made it for the same day as I go so we wont have to take him on a different day. I figure that him going to the same place I go would be a better thing so getting there is easier. Now this place has a whole group of doctors in it.

I hope they have a good outcome for him.

DammitJanet

Back home after a LONG day...lol. Well I have been home for awhile but I just didnt get home till now. Cory and I got home about 6:30 but I did take him out to dinner for being so forthcoming with psychiatrist. Let me tell you, Cory was so honest about how he feels and how his anger feels. He said he feels sad and mad most of the time and that he is so impulsive and that when he was younger he would see things and instantly the thought would be "oh, I will just take it because I want it and it doesnt matter who it belongs to" and now its "oh, I want it and if I have the money I will buy it" but then the next day he is so upset with himself because most of the time he really doesnt want it anymore and he couldnt afford it anyway. He told the psychiatrist that he wants to stop getting into so many arguments with people, especially his father, because he realizes that he has a much quicker hair trigger than most people. He also said that his cursing has just got to stop because he has got kids now.

I was right proud of him.

The doctor put him on Invega and Trazadone because Cory has a really hard time with sleeping and he can hardly eat much at all. We shall see. I am hoping. Cory is really looking hopeful.

Whats funny is that we will be doing duel appts from now on. We just go in together because neither of us has an issue with it. Cory actually does better if I go with him. I just hope this medication works out for him. He cant do depakote or lithium even though lithium worked well, it gave him horrible shakes. Cory can stand for the Invega to cause him to eat more. He can stand to put on a little weight. Not a ton but a little. 10 to 15 pounds...even 20 would be good on him.

My medications stay the same.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good for Cory!!!

I think it's wonderful that it works out you guys can go together. I hope the new medications help.

DammitJanet

I remember years ago there were a few people on here who thought it was odd that Cory and I would share the same psychiatrist. I dont. Hey, who knows him better than me and he has no problems with me going to it with him. We do get along so well together just the two of us. Its rather funny. Just me and him, we are like two peas in a pod.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
People thought it odd that I went to Nichole's psychiatrist appointments with her. (I mean actually sat in on them) Her psychiatrist was the type who actually listens the whole hour ect, not one who just writes a script and sends you on your way. But Nichole actually wanted me there so that I could help her remember things she wanted to talk about........and because often I brought up things she didn't want to bring up herself for whatever reason and those things got talked about too. It also made it so much easier to explain whatever the doctor said to her too, since it was first hand info.

I really don't think she'd have done so well so fast had she done it alone. She usually forgot most things like blow ups at people and such the moment they were over........so none of those situations would have been discussed ect.

And psychiatrist liked it because it gave her MUCH more info on Nichole's daily life and interaction with others than she'd normally had gotten, as well as another perspective on what was going on.

Not saying it's for everyone. I think there has to be a certain level of trust between the two people involved, and they really need to be able to talk to each other too. Nichole and I are two peas in a pod too.......LOL

Mattsmom277

I actually think sharing a psychiatrist, if the dynamic between parent and child allows for it in a healthy fashion, is a fantastic arrangement. I can't see it being for many people. But since it works for you two, i am glad that you were able to have him seen at the same place as you go. Then there is the side benefit that if either of you don't feel like going to a appointment, you have a sort of built in accountability partner to motivate a person to go anyhow.

Cory sounds so self intuitive. I think it's wonderful that he is readily able to open up to a psychiatrist and to accept a little help for things he sees in himself. Hope the medications help and that he just continues on this path he is on.

Can I just add that there is something very special about adult children and parents being close enough to be able to do something like this together without strife? It speaks volumes about the two of you and about your relationship. I'm also certain your openness about your struggles and your history of caring for yourself and your needs is the best example a parent can set. Your boys are all very lucky Janet.

DammitJanet

Because my favorite psychiatrist had to shut his office down he has had to go merge into a bigger practice so basically he now is just an employee instead of a stand alone doctor. So now when I go to the psychiatrist, I never really know who I will see, my old psychiatrist or a different one. I try to make it for my old psychiatrist but sometimes life happens. Yesterday I was supposed to see my old psychiatrist but because I wanted to be available to go in with Cory and he might have taken a bit longer to see me, I saw another psychiatrist so I could rush my rear in there...lol. Now yesterday Cory saw someone else because like I said, this place probably has 20 NP who are trained in psychology and 10 psychiatrists at this location alone. They also have two other locations. They are open from 7am till 6:30 pm which is late around here for doctors. They have on-call numbers instead of just saying call 911. That call 911 ticks me off because my GP does that and its stupid when most likely you are calling about a sore throat.

Im very happy. Tony is very proud of him and has promised not to tell Buck about what this medication is. Actually Cory only thinks this medication is a mood stabilizer. I dont intend to tell him any differently.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I always went to the psychiatrist, therapist, and regular doctor with difficult child, sometimes she still asks me to. It's cool, the doctor is able to get a full picture, I can bring up things difficult child is not forthcoming with (but doesn't mind me bringing up) and difficult child ultimately receives better appropriate care. I think that it's enabled her to get through a lot of things easier and faster. There was only one Dr who seemed surprised by my presence and when she asked if I would remain in the waiting area, difficult child told her she wanted me there.

Some t/psychiatrists claim they can't see another family member due to ethics, but most of the ones we've seen are more open to the idea. Especially if it's going to help them make a proper diagnosis and create an appropriate treatment plan. I think it's awesome that Cory is open to it and that you get along so well!!!

If you think about it, we have been their advocate and voice forever, so it only makes sense. Nice, this warms my heart for you Janet.

InsaneCdn

Some t/psychiatrists claim they can't see another family member due to ethics,
Once the child is of a certain age (it varies), most medical staff will not consult with another family member unless the patient is present, OR has given express informed written consent. But... coming "with" is obviously implied consent - nothing wrong with confirming, but... usually not a problem.

buddy

Glad your appointments went well...I think it is wonderful Cory likes you to be there....driving works out better too.

DammitJanet

Well this also means Cory knows all my info and I know all his...lol. Thats okay, what do I have to hide anyway?

I had to laugh, this NP who was taking his history was asking about anyone in the family who had mental illnesses and we both busted out in giggles and she looked up to see what the joke was and I held up my hand and said yeah me and I come here and I just rushed out of my appointment to be here for this! She laughed. We were talking about my diagnosis's and I was listing them for her and when I got to PTSD Cory blurted out "How did you get PTSD, Dont you have to be in some kind of a war or something to get that? Was I that much trouble for you to get PTSD?" The NP and I started laughing so hard at him and we both answered him and told him no you dont have to just be in a war but that it can be from some form of trauma in the past. Cory was really worried it was him. I told him that my PTSD came well before him but that he could be assured that he did nothing to help it!

LOL