Big decisions

klmno

They won't do an 11 mo lease. I told him I'd do a 12 mo then. I figured I could end up losing a lot more than one mo's rent if I take the 1-BR for short term, then move to a 2-BR on a lease that starts next spring or summer - then what happens if the job falls thru, etc- I might as well have taken the house for 2 years- it's the same risk either way. They won't know in 6 mos if the contract is going to be renewed. They'll know in about 10 mos.

klmno

Gee whiz- now the rep for the house I really liked just called. I said I am just not comfortable doing a 2 year lease right now and the problem is that I only have XX amount of dollars to move into a place. Now she says she thought maybe they could work something out- she'll call me back. Just like I thought- she is deparate to get someone in there. I have no problem going into that one as long as it doesn't break me financially or leave me legally obligated to do something extreme.

LittleDudesMom

k, if you like the house better and feel they are "desperate" to rent, you make the offer. Don't ask, state. 12 month lease with 1/2 month's security and you will sign and move tomorrow. The owner could very well be paying double mortgages and some money is better than no money. Don't hymn and haw about it. Make the offer forcefully letting them know you have another cheaper option but you like the fenced yard at their place. You were calling them before you signed with the other folks. Play it.

Sharon

klmno

It has ended up going something like that, LDM. I pay a security deposit but no rent for the rest of this month. I get keys tomorrow. I pay pet deposit, which was lowered to 200, next month. One year lease- option to extend as usual. It's in the better of three bad sd's. Honestly, I feel it's the best decision in the long run. Especially after I realized that taking the tiny 1-BR to save money that would mostly be spent on moving also would require me signing a year lease for a bigger better place starting next spring or summer and that could leave me even more strapped. Boss probably didn't think about that when he said get something short term- short term leaves me having to commit to long term in the spring.

The man with the "in between" place is nice and reasonable and this could work until just before school starts next year, but I agree with boss on this one- from everything I hear around here- you don't want your kid going to that high school. So, if difficult child starts in that school where this house is and has shown me he's trying, we can move to another place in that same sd if need be and I can afford it but it wouldn't require him changing schools unless we wanted it to and moved further out- due to it being a disaster or something. It's not a perfect neighborhood- I can tell- but it surely has all the signs that there is both bad and good in it and difficult child ultimately has to choose which one to reach for. I think he can probably find drugs there pretty easily. But there aren't any places around here where he can't. We can walk 3 blocks and sit on a bench with our dogs and watch the bay water. We'll have a nice home and he'll be in the best sd here. We can rent a boat right up the street- if we can figure out how to drive it. LOL!

They I look at it- it gets difficult child in the better sd and it gives a couple of months to see which choices he's making. If he's trying but struggling due to the neighborhood, I have no problem moving to a different neighborhood to try to make that easier for him.

It might be silly but the house interior is painted in the same colors I used in my house. It gives me hope and makes me feel like a step ahead. We are trying to work this out online tonight- she knows that I have another option and am supposed to contact this man soon with a final answer. We have most of it worked out. I'm waiting on a little reassurance from her before I call the man with the "in between" option and cancel our early morning appointment. to sign his lease.

Last edited:

klmno

Do rental deals go on a credit report? I can't remember and I'm wondering if paying rent on time will help start rebuilding my credit.

Jena

boy i'm late to this. i'm a huge risk taker. seems to me u would have to move again either way if you took the 1 bedroom when difficult child returns or your new co. goes belly up. if you can float the house rental for now, are not backing yourself into a corner financially and can also have all the amenties which will make life a bit easier on you right now. that by the way you totally deserve and they are willing to either let you sublet or not hang you for the year in rent if you gotta go due to co. i'd take it.

boss sounds super nice that he is assisting you with-all this decision making. i hope truly it's a long term work situation for you. sounds like it will be. trust in your judgement with this and other things in future. your doing a great job. i'm excited for you with all this change. are you nervous at all???

DDD

Sounds like the decision making process has run it's course. I'm sure it was confusing trying to opt in the right direction.

As someone else said earlier I think it is a good idea to keep a polite, professional distance from your new boss and his wife. He has hired you because of your capabilities and information about difficult child, finances, animals etc. might compromise your actual work relationship.

I'm truly delighted that you have a chance to start anew. Congrats! DDD

klmno

Well I have the keys now!

As far as info to boss, I agree but it's a little hard when asked direct, specific questions. Like do you have children? Where is he now?

DammitJanet

Boarding school! We managed to snag a chance of a lifetime for him to go to boarding school, while I miss him, its for the best for him right now.

klmno

LOL!

I found out today that a policeman lives across the street. Just wait until difficult child hears that! Communications are supposed to be turned on tomorrow. I haven't decided yet if I'll stay there tomorrow night or not- it depends on if I can get enough "basics" there by tomorrow night. I was so happy to unload some of the stuff from my car and not have to haul it all in a hotel room, just to repack it and haul it to a home in a few days. I had no choice but to unload the car in order to get to stuff I need for work tomorrow.

I have a call into my boss but it's been over 2 hours and he still hasn't returned my call- that's making me a little nervous. We were supposed to touch base today about me getting in the building first thing in the morning. I hope it's that he's just out and unavailable and not ticked off at me already!