Big News

muttmeister

Had an email from difficult child 1's girlfriend today: they are planning to get married on October 2.:surprise:

They have lived together for a couple of years. He's 25 and she's about the same. She has 2 daughters. I guess they are old enough to know what they are doing. I was taken a little bit by surprise but I'm trying to be happy about the whole thing.

She is not who I would have picked but then, very few of us marry who our mothers would have picked. Because of other difficult child and his wife, (difficult child 1's girlfriend used to be married to difficult child 2's wife's brother and so now difficult child 2's wife will be like a double aunt to difficult child 1's wife-to-be's girls; I feel like this is a redneck joke:tongue:) this may create come problems but I guess they will just have to get over it. I hope we can keep the peace on all sides and that everybody can look at this as a good thing and a happy occasion.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's good you are trying to be accepting and supportive -- you're right, I think none of us marries who our parents think we should!

And the extended relations issue will work itself out. My best friend's mother married her own mother's second husband's son (technically her stepbrother). And I believe they were distantly related by blood somehow as well... third or fourth cousin or something like that.

What matters is that they love eachother and are committed.

Congratulations!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
If you live in a small town, I would expect that tangled relationships are probably pretty common. I hope it works out for them. Congratulations!

Suz

M

ML

I hope they find happiness as well. You're a good mom.

My first husband's Aunt L was married to her sister's first husband. Her stepdaughter was also her niece! It happens. They were actually a pretty happy couple and the first wife was so into her career she let them raise her daughter and was fine with it all.

ML

DammitJanet

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials!

My niece married her stepfathers son...lol. It isnt as weird as it sounds because they werent raised together. Stepfather also came into the family when the girls were about early teens. They never met his son until he was about 18. He lived out of state. I think niece was 16 and he was 18. It was love at first sight though...lmao.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I am glad that your son and his girlfriend have found happiness so much that they want to spend the rest of their lives together celebrating each other! :D

Congratulations!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My parents were third cousins. husband and I were fifth cousins (the things you find out doing genealogy).

It's really not that uncommon, especially in cultures where marrying within religious or tribal groups is the norm. Odds can be pretty high that if you've got a few of the same villages in your background, that you've also got a few ancestors in common as well.