BiPolar (BP) "friends and family" support forums?

miles2go

My BiPolar (BP) difficult child is doing much better (still attempts for obsessive control, and medications weight gain is a drag) but my BiPolar (BP) wife (no medications, in denial) is harder to bear at times. I know when I get too frustrated with her simply not being available, worse things happen (like she'll try to prevent difficult child's treatment or abuse him or his siblings).
Can anyone recommend a forum (quite a few come up when I search) where I can vent?
Me -- married dad, call it 50
difficult child 8y.o.m BiPolar (BP)
sibs, wife

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You are always welcome to vent here :) Just because it's your wife, doesn't mean there aren't others here who've been there done that. Perhaps just post the wife-related vents on the Watercooler...

Just my 2 cents :)

rlsnights

While I would not discourage you from posting here, there are other a couple other places I know of that you might also find a welcome. One is Bipolar World. They have a SO chat room - I have not visited it but do sometimes participate in the BiPolar (BP) forums and have always felt welcome and comfortable.

http://www.bipolarworld.net/

Another website that is recommended by Bipolar World is Bipolar significant others (BPSO)

http://www.bpso.org/

You may also want to explore the possibility that your SO has issues that fit within the Borderline Personality diagnosis. There is a separate support network for SO's of Borderline (BPD)'s. For a thoughtful and informed discussion of Borderline (BPD) and possible connections between Borderline (BPD) and BiPolar (BP) see John McMan's website

http://www.mcmanweb.com/borderline.html

Best wishes

TPaul

Idecor8
My BiPolar (BP) difficult child is doing much better (still attempts for obsessive control, and medications weight gain is a drag) but my BiPolar (BP) wife (no medications, in denial) is harder to bear at times. I know when I get too frustrated with her simply not being available, worse things happen (like she'll try to prevent difficult child's treatment or abuse him or his siblings).
Can anyone recommend a forum (quite a few come up when I search) where I can vent?
Me -- married dad, call it 50
difficult child 8y.o.m BiPolar (BP)
sibs, wife

Dear miles to go,
Welcome!!!! I to am a father with a bi polar wife and child. I and others here know how hard it is to have to deal with more than one person in your family who is bipolar. I am so at the same place as you concerning wife and how hard it is sometimes to make it through another day having to deal with wife and her BiPolar (BP) issues.

I have been on the board just a short time, a few weeks actually but I have been made to feel welcome and have had to vent a few times already. IT HELPS MORE THAN ANYONE COULD IMAGINE!!! And everyone here listen, some commented that they too understood, and not a single one judged the vent as wrong or judged me for venting.

Feel free to message me privately anytime you need to talk or vent. We men on some boards are the minority so we have to stick together, LOL LOL :surprise: Just kidding ladies :whiteflag:

Ready to listen, so vent away
T. Paul

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
One bonus to venting here also is that some of us SO's also have BiPolar (BP) or have SO's with BiPolar (BP).
I know for me personally I am pretty honest about how much my "issues" effect the world. LOL
I think of myself as a Recovering Bipolar, only because I am honest with myself.

miles2go

Thanks, TPaul. Glad to see you chipper after a flu. I presume Levi is still allright on the medications?
Yeah I remember when you came on board I was impressed by the similarity not only in our situation but in names/ages of our kids (I'll PM you details -- trying to keep plausible deniability in case wife surfs over here).

Thanks, rlsnights. I'll check out the links. I'll look more into the borderline diagnosis -- there is certainly a "I hate you, don't leave me" dimension, although regarding it as NPD + destruction to prefrontal cortex due to bipolar stuff has made more sense to me.

TPaul

Idecor8
miles,
That is why I clear the history after each and every time I open a browser window, LOL LOL, just in case, and I don't tell her which board I am on. She knows I am online on a board, but since message boards are not her thing, that helps alot too. :smug:

miles2go

I know, TPaul; my concern is that if you google the medication, the disorder, and a few other keywords, messages from this forum come up close to the top (that's how I found it). Anyway, we are surviving.
I'll write and PM more tonight since texting while driving home is bad for health.

miles2go

Oh and totoro, I totally appreciate the benefits of venting here, and you have been very helpful to me quite a few times.
But as I explained, I am afraid that if wife sees her stuff that she cannot admit to herself on the internet for anyone to see, Chernobyl will look like a popcap.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I know... If nothing else you can read along and at least laugh and empathize with our BiPolar (BP) lives! LOL
Just know a lot of us here understand. :)