Bipolar discussed on Oprah today

everywoman

I rarely get home to catch Oprah, but happened to have an afternoon with no appts or meetings. Turned on the tv in the computer room while logging on and there it was. They are discussing bi polar disorder. It just started so I'm not sure what the angle will be.

I watched the first half of it.

The angle seemed to be that while it is grossly overdiagnosed, it is also terribly under-reported, and unfortunately, misunderstood. It showed how broad the spectrum is.

It had a severe case of a woman who was plagued with voices. She was depressed, had low self esteem, and had attempted suicide twice. The day after her second suicide attempt, the voices told her to kill her 6 year old.

She did.

She was diagnosed from prison, where she is serving a 40-something year sentence for 1st degree murder. She spoke openly about it, and it was heartbreaking to watch. You could see the pain in her face, knowing that she may never be able to forgive herself, but she knew that it was not "her" that did it.

As I've read so many times on this board, those with bipolar tend to go into another zone before they fly into a rage, and while they know they are not themselves, they cannot seem to stop it.

It was very sad, and very eye opening.

DammitJanet

I heard about the show from commercials but chose not to watch it. I was afraid of several things. Either they would downplay it or turn us into freaks...either is bad in my book. Sigh.

While I dont have the voices component that the woman BBK said was on the show, I can relate. There were times that I have been so severely depressed that I considered murder/suicide. Something stopped me. I have also had visual hallucinations that I somehow realized were not real.

I go into another zone all the time before I fly into a rage. Here lately I seem to live in that other zone...sigh. medications help but its hard.

Living with bipolar isnt as easy as they make it out.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yes it is Janet! You just take a Pill like in ALL of the advertisements and then we are all dancing through fields of flowers!!!
LMAO...

Yeah that's why last week yet again I was up cleaning and "organizing" the house, bought some stuff also!!! (For the pup we are going to get, oh in 2 months) Racing thoughts..... crawling out of my skin...

Sorry... hmm I don't even know when Oprah is on... maybe it hasn't aired yet here?

Luckily we need the pup stuff!!!

This show did a pretty fair job at showing how serious it is, without making it look "freaky".

They also had a soap opera star (a guy) who had some issues with bipolar, but I muted the TV when I got a phone call.

goldenguru

I thought it was very well done. And I for one think the public needs to be schooled in this little understood illness.

The first case was tragic. No good could come of it. But the other two people fought the illness and had maintained a 'normal' life. They gave hope. Which is often in short supply when facing a mental illness.

I for one thought it was well done.

DammitJanet

Im glad it was well done. It worries me when they do shows that can portray everyone with bipolar as criminals. Ya know?

Steely

I thought this was really, really well done! And that takes a lot for me to say, since usually I hate the way media portrays mental illness. Those of you with older kids that are bi-polar I would tape if it comes on again, because they had some excellent helpful points on living with the illnesses from people who have been there and done that. Really, I was shocked with Oprah's knowledge of the illness, and her visible empathy. Truthfully it is about time the media exposed mental health issues in an illuminating and empathic way........maybe I will have to write her and let her know my thoughts.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I went on her website and you can watch the show. For any of you who want to catch it!!! She is also looking for Bipolar people to be on the show!!! OOOHHH!!! I couldn't do it... I probably would have an episode on the show!!! LOL

http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml

I think you can see the Autism show also...

Steely

what about parents with kids with bi-polar??? Better yet she could invite the whole CD board! Now THAT would be a show! :rofl:

Jen

That is just too funny Weeping Willow. Yet on a serious note, you dont think Oprah wouldnt want to hear what this board of variety has to say?

Jen

Steely

:geek:
No.....SERIOUSLY! Originally I was kidding, but then I decided I had nothing to lose and I DID write her a long email and suggested she look at our board and possibly invite some of us parents to talk about mental illness in children. I can't think of a single thing better to change the stigma of mental illness in our nation, than having us get up there and talk about all we do to help our kids that are afflicted with these various mental illnesses.

Doubt she'll call...........BUT.............still, I you gotta shoot high, right?