Bipolar "success stories" ?

lovemysons

My young difficult child was once dxd with Bipolar at around age 14. He also was in drug rehab by age 14 as well as having been kicked out of regular school in 8th grade for insubordination and sent to alternative school. We tried a school in Montana which he was kicked out of within 9 days. We tried homeschooling too.

Last year, young difficult child was on probation for destruction of property in his bedroom. The probation officer gave a long list of requirements for him to fullfill along with a new psychological evaluation. Young difficult child managed to do all that was required and this year...in April, joined the Military.

Yep, young difficult child, once considered Bipolar and possibly somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, along with drug use is now a success story.

He called me last night and thanked me for every time that I ever sat beside him and listened to his troubles. He told me that I am his number one motivation for doing well in the Army and he also told me that he gets to have One Person pin his rope on him upon graduation in Ft Benning Ga come Aug 10th. He wants that "person" to be me. :angel:

He told me to remember that I raised both he and his brother and that it was never about my parenting that was at issue...he said, "it was always about choice".

Anyway, I just would like to hear more success stories from those whose children were once dxd with Bipolar and have gone on to accomplish the unimaginable. Seriously, for those who remember my young difficult child, it is amazing that he is maturing into the person he is becoming. I am SO proud!!! :bravo:

I don't log on very often these days but just can't resist telling as many as I can about the person my young difficult child is becoming...the "more than capable" young man he is becoming. What a relief it is to my mommy heart after all these years. I thanked G-d this morning as I made my bed just realizing how far he's come.

Oh, by the way, young difficult child says that the 7 mile runs they do for PT really make him "feel good", "happy" he says. The endorphine levels must get raised enough that it is noticable to him. He said when he comes home for two weeks before being shipped to Germany and then likely Iraq that he will still want to get up early in the morning and go "run".

Anyway, just reaching out with some hope to some of you who may be at your witz end and also reaching out for more "success stories" if you have them.

Hugs and Care
Lovemysons ...there is hope.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Good to know that not all difficult children are doomed to a life of unending chaos....thanks for posting and hope all your kids find success...

Nancy

That's a wonderful story lovemysons. You must be so proud of him and come August 10 I'm sure your heart will burst with pride. It takes a man to admit what he has.

Congratulations to both of you.

Nancy

On_Call

Congrats to you - and former difficult child :bravo:

And, thanks for posting. I will keep repeating 'there is a light at the end of the tunnel, there is a light at the end of the tunnel . . . '. LOL

Great positive post!!

Estherfromjerusalem

LMS, what a wonderful update! It is truly thrilling and heartwarming to read about your young difficult child's progress. You have been through such hard times, you truly do deserve this reward. I suppose some kids get to it sooner, and some kids do so later (and some never get there!). I'm still waiting for my difficult child to see the light. I don't feel capable of doing an update on him because it is too depressing. Maybe some day.

Enjoy the pleasure you are getting from him. And don't forget us after your ceremony, when you are the One Person he has chosen for that honor. Please write to us then and describe it to us.

I still remember fondly that time at Fran's, when you came. It seems like so long ago now.

Look after yourself,

Love, Esther

DammitJanet

LMS, while Jamie doesnt have bipolar, he is ADHD and he has said many times the same stuff about the running he did in the Marines. He still runs for "fun" now. They did 10 and twelve mile runs and it just amazed me that he found that relaxing...lol. It would have killed me.

I am a firm believer in the Military for so many of our kids. I wish more of them could enter and find their niche. I have met so many guys in the military that are just such great guys and gals. It really does make a difference in their lives.

Fran

Former desparate mom
:bravo:<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Congratulations for getting difficult child this far. Certainly not all who have bipolar as a diagnosis are a disaster. Some wonderful successes and accomplishments can be someone's life if there is stability and education. Having said that, I'm thrilled that your son is able to manage and succeed. Hopefully, he can carry on on the stable path he is on.
I have read and heard that some exercise such is running is a help for difficult child's to handle themselves. Unfortunately, unless difficult child is running to chase a cheeseburger, he isn't running anywhere. :rofl:
It's great to hear you feeling positive and validated by your son. Hugs. </span>

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:bravo:

Wonderful update on previous difficult child! :grin: You have every reason to be bursting with pride. I'm glad he's doing so well. Seems like the military structure and dicipline can be such a plus for some.

Hugs

SunnyFlorida

What a wonderful post. The validation he gave to you LMS is oh so welcome.

You did it :bravo:

I'm so very happy for you and your family.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Hey LMS, so great to see you here! :grin: I have two "success" stories:

My difficult child, never diagnosis BiPolar (BP) but a viable candidate nonetheless, I always assumed he was self-medicating some type of disorder. What seemed to finally 'do it' for him was a long stretch in jail. He spent 16 months in 2 different county lock-ups. After about 6 months, he began reading the Bible, and attending AA Meetings.

He was released in May 2006, already working full-time. Today he is a home-owner and engaged to be married. WOW!! I too share an immense feeling of pride over his success.

I love how young difficult child has told you his appreciation, and given you the great honor of pinning the rope on his shoulder. :warrior:

The other story is the difficult child of my best friend. He was involved with drinking, drugs, skipping school, fights, and stealing from the time he was 14 years old. At 17, he went to the Challenge Academy.

He graduated a few weeks ago With Honors!! He has completely transformed into the person my friend always knew he could be, and wants to go into any field where he can help other young struggling kids. :angel:

My easy child has found himself in running long distance. There is a definate endorphin release for him as well. He's on the Cross Country Team, and training hard this summer. His goal is to run 400 miles before the season starts in August!!

Thanks for sharing the bright side, the hope, the miracle. We all need to hear that we are not doomed! :salute:

Peace

lovemysons

Thanks for ALL the congratulations and hugs. It is completely Young difficult child's. He is the one who chose this way of life for himself and is enjoying it so much.

Esther, I hope things get better for your difficult child.
Fran, too funny about the only thing your difficult child is gonna run for...
Dammit Janet, I agree with you about the military being so good for some of our difficult children...mine loves the structure and discipline Daisy Lover.
Nomad, no Young difficult child is not on any medications. They looked at his probation required psychological evaluation and since he was Not dxd with Bipolar at that time, they were able to let him in...this is what young difficult child told me. Young difficult child is the one who got all required docs, etc into the recruiter's hands and pulled this off on his own. We had nothing to do with him joining the Army, it was completely his choice which is one major reason I think it's working out so well.
Nomad thank you for the prayers of safety...I do worry about him being sent to Iraq. He tells me this is what he's being trained for. He is infantry foot soldier. Busting down doors to go into suspected enemy homes is what he is being trained for...He believes the Army will be giving him his orders to be sent to Iraq not long after he is sent to Germany. He leaves for Germany 2 weeks after Basic Training. We will get to have home for those 2 weeks and I hope to help make it a enjoyable and happy experience for the whole family. I know he misses us and his wife. He tells me of how homesick he is regularly. But, he also tells me that he may want to make a career out of the Army while going to college and study meteorology. He still loves the weather!
My hope is that young difficult child and his wife will choose NOT to have her go to Germany when he is likely going to Iraq as soon as he gets there. There is no point in his wife having their baby alone in a foreign country with no family or friend support. I am getting along so well with his wife in fact, easy child spent last night with her and will be with her again tonight while husband and I drive down to Houston tonight and will visit Oldest difficult child at the prison tomorrow.

Ponygirl...thank you for adding your success stories. It is so wonderful to hear that your son is clean and sober and owns a house and getting married...WOW. This gives me hope for my oldest too. He will have been incarcerated since last January 2006 when he gets out this August. Oldest will be working for husband again (not allowed to work for the law firm of course) but doing cabling and some light network jobs. I so hope this county jail and prison time will have convinced him to keep himself clean and sober so that he can amount to something. He still has lots of potential, in fact...If anyone had asked me just a few years ago which one of my difficult child's would have it together and be on a stable happy path, it would have been Oldest difficult child that I would have guessed. I was so wrong about my perceived outcomes. Young difficult child even becoming a father (yes he is very young)...young difficult child always told me he would likely Not have children. Just a reminder that I'm not in charge of outcomes.
Congrats to your easy child for his long distance running and to your friends son who is wanting to give back. That is a miracle.

Hugs and love to all, thanks again for all the responses. Yall know young difficult child did it all back when, I am just super impressed with how the Army is working out for him. What a guy!!! Hey, it may be part of the solution for other difficult child's in the future too.

lovemysons

Charlotte3434

My daughter has been diagnosed with bi-polar this year, and has gotten into drugs and risky sexual behaviors. Hopefully she can get better before she gets worse. It is nice to hear that there is hope and maybe I won't have to just watch her self destruct. I am happy for you.