Bipolars in synch?

miles2go

Any evidence out there for bipolars, related (mother and son), under the same roof going into their hypomania at the same time?
Me -- married dad
difficult child 8y.o. BiPolar (BP) son

busywend

That is a good question. I am not sure anyone has mentioned that connection on the site before. I will be curious to see the responses.

Welcome!

Christy

Hello and welcome!

Interesting question. It would make a good research study.

Sometimes a change in season or the amount of daylight can affect mood so it is possible that mom and son are both affected by the same triggers.

klmno

Good question. I would say it is highly possible. Also, it could be that it isn't really a bipolar diagnosis, too. But if you are sure it's BiPolar (BP), I'm thinking that the triggers could be similar.

crazymama30

I notice in our house (husband and son are BiPolar (BP)) that they are not in synch, they do not cycle at the same time but that one will start, then get settled then the other ones does the same. I wonder if having one cycling triggers the other one? Right now difficult child is good, husband is a PITA! and yes, he gets caps for that.

I am not sure if there is any research that validates any of this, I will look and see what I can find.

klmno

crazy- I'm thinking that if kids get started into hypomania easily if their schedule gets out of whack and they don't go to bed on time, things like that, that it would be hard for the kid to keep a routine if a parent is up half the night several nights in a row or if the parent is not keeping their regular, low-key schedule. I haven't lived with that situation though so I don't know. I know that when my son was not acting stable, BiPolar (BP) or not, that it completely messed up my schedule even if I wasn't up half the night dealing with difficult child stuff. Maybe some of us are effected a great deal from stress alone. Interesting topic.

crazymama30

I think that with our family it is mostly due to irritability. husband and difficult child both share this symptom, and they do it to a pretty good extreme. difficult child usually sleeps well--if he has sleep symptoms he usually wakes really early or even in the middle of the night but he always goes to bed early.

husband is the one with sleeping problems, and he usually does not keep us up. When he was at his worst he did not want anyone up with him, he wanted to use the computer without us there.

Right now I am glad that husband and difficult child take turns cycling, it would be so hard if they were both at it at the same time! I am sure that time will come though.

DammitJanet

Well...I have the mother and son situation and I know first hand that we both go bonkers at the same times. I know we trigger each other. If one of us is having a bad time, we both have a bad time. Obviously it was worse when we lived together but it is still working out that I go into a tailspin even with him out of the house. Cory and I are very interconnected. That bond may grow less with time. Dont know but right now, we still tend to cycle majorly at the same time though I do cycle much more frequently than he does.

Well, my theory is that if mother/daughter can get the menstraul cycles (PMS and all) in sync just by living under the same roof...why not! Both are chemical (or hormonal) issues.