black & blue buttock.

Tink woke up with the croup today. Poor kid, her voice was *this big*!

Took her to the doctor in the box. He verified that it was croup, said that since it's a virus he won't be giving an antibiotic, but instead wanted to give her an injection of Decadron!

I asked about that numbing cream (embla? how do you spell it?). They said that it would take an hour for it to take effect. Well Tink was already in full meltdown just at the thought of having a shot. I don't think numbing her would have mattered; it was the thought of the needle that put her over the edge. That was just more time for her to have a stroke. So, I slipped into the hallway and told the nurse that I was going to put hand sanitizer on her and tell her that it was numbing cream.

I put it on her left arm. Nurse came in, said I should do both arms so we could split the shot. OK, I put it on both arms. Tink is still crying. Nurse comes back, feels her arms, and said nope, her arms are too thin.

Gotta go for the glutes.

Took FOUR of us to hold her down to where I could inch her shorts down. At this point, she wasn't even paying attention to "numbing cream".

That was this morning. Of course, the steroid has her bouncing off the walls (I am not getting her to sleep tonight!), and just now she mooned me. From around the bandaid, I can see that the injection site bruised.

I gotta remember that when I am giving her love taps on her culo.

F

flutterbee

She was tense, poor thing. Last time difficult child got a shot like that, same thing happened...a knot and a black and blue bruise. It was there for a while, too. Not fun.

When difficult child had the pinched nerve in her neck a week or two ago, she said she's not afraid to get a tetanus shot now! :rofl:

Lothlorien

Missy totally freaked like a wild animal once when we got her shots. She was kicking and trying to bite the doctor. I had husband take her after that for all her shots. (he got her ice cream at 10:30 in the am the first time he did it). Wouldn't you know now, she takes it like a man. She doesn't wince. She doesn't like them, but she doesn't even cry or whine about it. Go figure.

Next time, put some vaseline on the potentially bruising area. My neighbor taught me that when my son ran into the garage door when he was three. He had a knot brewing and we knew it was gonna be really bad. He ran and got vaseline and it never got black and blue. I do that all the time now and most of the time it works, if you get it soon enough.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I thought maybe the black and blue bum was from the SPANKING the Indians gave NY last night.....

GOoooo Cleveland!

and on a more delicate and sadder note. Besa por culo de bambina .

Hugs

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Give that little Bum a smack, I mean a big kiss from me!!! I remember when N had a pretty bad rash about a year ago and she says "Mommy, my B O O thank you hurts" I ask her where? and she points to her little rash area... "Can you please kiss it" so I kiss her butt cheek, she says, "No right her" and points to her rash again... husband and I were cracking up... I said "um honey how about Mommy puts some Butt cream on it instead?" "OK" happy as can be.... I said luckily I got out of that how was I gonna explain that Mommies don't kiss poopers???

susiestar

Roll With It
Poor Tink and Mommy!

Those shots of cortisone are awful!!! I am surprised, our docs pretty much won't ever do them, esp not for croup. they send you to the ER fi they think it is that bad. Too much bruising, side effects, etc... Or so they have always told me.

I know how much those hurt.

Hugs,

Susie

Marguerite

When difficult child 3 had croup, they nebulised him with adrenalin. Once he had tat on board, they were able to follow it up with salbutamol. But as soon as he was ushered into triage, they put emla cream on his hand in case they needed to put up a drip (it wasn't needed, as it turned out).

At his last hospital trip (for the head wound) difficult child 3 had to have a tetanus shot in the rear. But it was late, he was tired and I was massaging his shoulders. This needle-phobic boy was so relaxed for his shot, there was hardly a mark next day. He did very well, considering the problems we'd always had with him when he was younger.

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am so surprised that they gave her decadron. I'm a life long asthmatic and when my lungs are basically infected and shut down I have to BEG for that stuff from my doctors!! They always tell me it is hardly ever used anymore and insist that using the nebulizer is all that they will offer me. Do you have a home nebulizer? If not, you should get one and keep the medications on hand. The rush/bounciness is short lived and much easier to take compared to the long acting decadron. Oy! I feel bad for you - but I also feel bad for tink. I remember all too well that horrible steroid induced amped feeling buzzing through my body and brain. It actually hurts your head after a while. And not sleeping, what he// for everyone.

Hugs BBK (and tink).

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I hope she has chrashed!!! Has she come down yet??? Have you had a chance to rest? I hate that feeling... and you never get to catch up... N was up 2 nights ago, manic. She never chrashed!?!??! I was like when are you gonna get tired kid!? She went the whole next day until bedtime... ugh. I was grumpy...

I hope you are feeling OK

:scared: Tink :sleeping: BBK

She was up till past 2.

Add these factors into the mix:

Both of our beds are disassembled in anticipation of our move. No problem in her case; lately she has taken to sleeping on a sleeping bag on her closet floor (!) For me, I was planning on using the couch till we moved. But she kept coming out every half hour, telling me she jut cannot sleep. So I let HER lay on the couch and watch TV while I sat in the computer chair.

When she finally DID fall asleep. I took the back cushions off the couch, laid them on the floor, and laid her on them. Then realized that the AC was blowing right on her. I opened the door and what do you know, it was nice and cool outside. Shut off the air, left the door open a crack, flopped on the couch.

Within 15 minutes, I could not breathe. Sneezing up a storm. Woke up Tink. Had to shut the door, move Tink again, and put on the air set to 74 so that I could breathe, even though it was in the 40s outside.

Argh.