Black Swan?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Anyone seen this film yet? I'm thinking of taking the kids to see the new Narnia flick tonight while I go see this...

svengandhi

My friend, who runs a movie theater, says Black Swan is very intense. Due to triggers in my life, I am going to pass on it but my friend says it's very good.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I ended up taking just the difficult children to see Gulliver's Travels. Blech. My sister in law#4 cautioned me about Black Swan similarly to what svenghandi had to say. Violent and disturbing... but I figure it can't be any worse than some of the stuff that's gone on around here, lol!

Maybe I'll get to it later in the week...

witzend

Go see True Grit. I think that the difficult child's might even enjoy it, if they are ok with a couple of scenes of moderate violence, in the old-fashioned Western way. Certainly not as violent as a lot of what I see on TV.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I heard that was really good, too. Charlie Rose interviewed the Cohen brothers who directed it. I've always liked their work.

TerryJ2

Yes, True Grit is a much better choice for G'sfg.

easy child saw Black Swan. Said it was weird and intense. She's an art/psychiatric major so she liked it, but from her description, I know I wouldn't. I thought it would have more dance scenes and a successful stage performance at the end, but it ends up as a quasi-murder mystery ***-psychotic break.

I saw The King's Speech, and it was excellent. I want to see it again. It was intense in its own way; King George had a stutter and had a speech therapist help him with-all of his speeches. The actor did a great job, with-o making it maudlin or silly, and lord knows too many actors mess up stutters.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh, no way would I consider Black Swan for any of my kids, lol! Thanks for the review of The King's Speech :) It looked interesting to me, too.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
kinda heard Black Swan had some girl on girl action...just to keep in mind for younger difficult child's, may I clarify Boy on Girl would be a no go for my difficult child as well...

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
My cousin's daughter described "Black Swan" as......"You messed with my head. Brilliant film. Bad movie. Blog post to follow. No one told me it was a horror film..."

YIKES!

Not sure I want to see it now.

Suz

svengandhi

H and the boys went to the movies tonight. Youngest boy (11) started out at Chronicles of Narnia but he went to the bathroom and threw up. Bizarrely, he also threw up during the 1st Narnia movie (he has never seen the second). H said Narnia series is very heavy on the Christianity stuff but it went completely over my Jewish head and that of my son. H, difficult child, easy child-14 and two of their friends (both 15) saw True Grit. My guys, including H, saw the original for the first time ever last week on TV and all of them enjoyed this one better. H said Jeff Bridges is terrific, Matt Damon is excellent but the young girl is phenomenal.

I have heard good things about "The King's Speech" and would like to see it with daughter, who is studying Special Education.

I saw this and was really eager, too. It had gotten good reviews and I love Natalie Portman and Winona Ryder. This movie didn't have of any type of resolution, or backround on what was wrong with her. I didn't like it. I want to see The Fighter, and The King's Speech.

trinityroyal

I don't really want to see Black Swan. Suz's cousin's review pretty-much sums up how I thought it would turn out.

Now True Grit, THAT I want to see. I love the original (like most of the John Wayne movies I've seen) and want to see how well they've managed the story. From what I've heard the new version is closer to the book on which the story is based, so I'm curious to see the differences. The King's Speech is another one on my list. Colin Firth is one of my favourite actors, and I have an interest in the British Monarchy so I am very interested in how they depict everything in the movie.

Little easy child received a pack of movie passes for Christmas, so I took him to the movies on Thursday. We saw Yogi Bear. It was delightful. Very cute, entertaining, and didn't require me to switch on my brain even once. Just the sort of lightweight, fun movie for the between-Christmas-and-New-Year's time, and just right for my little princeling's sense of humour.

TerryJ2

Svengandi, was there a lot of camera movement in those two movies? Just wondering about throwing up. Or maybe it was just stress.

Dazed, my easy child said that Black Swan would be a very awkward date movie. Now I know why!

svengandhi

Terry -

The most recent Narnia is 3-D so that could have accounted for it. I saw the first one with him and there was really no dramatic camera action. I'm still not sure why he threw up that time since he didn't otherwise get sick (no fever, etc). He asked daughter to take him to the bathroom and when they got back, he said "I threw up" and then fell asleep on my lap. He was about 6.

My daughter (19) saw Black Swan last night with some of her friends; a couple are dance majors. I still haven't had a chance to ask her about it but will post up what she tells me.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I saw Black Swan with my friend and it was very intense. Portman obviously has a strange relationship with her mother and some psychotic stuff going on. However, there was some lovely dance scenes and music...and somewhat of a story line, although a bit twisted. No, I would not call it twisted. I would call it intense and suspenseful. I almost want to sit through it again if only to understand it better. The masturbating and one sex scene are heavy, but not graphic.

I want to see the Kings Speech, True Grit and The Fighter.