Bleeaacchhhkk!!! So gross!!! (You've Been Warned...)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I have posted before about my dog and her habit of snatching underpants.

And it's really not as bad as it sounds. Usually, it's cute. When somebody is not home, she goes and gets something that belongs to them and plays or cuddles with it. She will grab my slippers. She takes DS's socks. She took husband's hat...

But lately, as you know, difficult child has been leaving very nasty underpants in her room...and when the dog finds those, instead of playing or cuddling with them...she chews them up. Yuck!

So today--I see the dog headed into difficult child's bedroom. I figure I will intercept BEFORE any underpants get chewed...

Instead, the dog has happily found a used maxi-pad...

Accckkkk!!!

Worse, there are several of them...

still stuck in underpants...

lying in a ball on the carpet...

"sunny-side" down.

Eeeewwww Barffff!!!!!

I don't even know what I am going to say to this kid. This is beyond disgusting and completely un-acceptable.

Too gross.

--DaisyFace

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hoo-boy. Don't envy you having to deal with that. We've got personal hygiene issues here, too. Slightly different, but gross just the same.

I'm sorry.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The dog part of this story is not even so bad - seems natural that they would gravitate towards, well, you know...the whole sniffing each other's behind quarters, etc., totally natural. But daughter....

I think I would schedule an appointment with her DR and have THEM discuss this with her. First of all, it could be an actual mental problem concerning personal hygiene and her not accepting this as part of her life as a young woman. And secondly, if it's not the above, the DR can have an impact on daughter and perhaps take it seriously enough to snap into action. Maybe it would embarrass her, but who cares? Sometimes embarrassment and humiliation can be a very good motivator and IMVHO, this is one of those times.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yeah, it's pretty icky. Have to agree.

For a while - Onyxx's jeans would be covered. I supplied her with pads and tampons, but it seemed she didn't care. Urk! I do not know why people at school never said anything to her. You know, PEERS.

So... The dog loves this stuff... Yuck.

I would have doctors talk to her about it. And a suggestion? Put a medium-size garbage can in her room, with a plastic bag in it, so she can pitch her stuff. This seemed to help Onyxx. I still haven't figured out how to get her to quit FLUSHING stuff. Maybe when she has to pay off next roto-rooter bill it will get through...

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
STOP IT NOW!!!
I can handle anything but the thought of my little tiny babies innocent little girls who are never even going on dates, never leaving the house EVER.... starting their periods...
Oh, my gosh. I am in trouble! LOL
Considering K is masturbating all of the times I better uncover my eyes! HA-HA
You are a good Mom! To the Dog and difficult child

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I would have doctors talk to her about it. And a suggestion? Put a medium-size garbage can in her room, with a plastic bag in it, so she can pitch her stuff. This seemed to help Onyxx....

She HAS one! And a basket for dirty laundry right in her bedroom!

There's really no logical reason she cannot clean up her 'stuff'.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I would agree with getting the doctors involved. This goes WAY beyond self-consciousness. It's some sort of 'acting out' and it needs to be stopped.

I hate to see you having to do it, but can you take control of "suppllies" and hand them out on an 'as needed' basis and not hand out replacements until the old ones have been 'turned in'?

I'd never heard of this type of thing before coming to this board. Frankly, it's disgusting and it needs to be stopped.

I'd make sure all of her medical team know of the problem and that all of them speak to her about it.

Only thing I can come up with having not dealt with this myself.

Marguerite

I agree, I think you have to intervene and treat her as if she were a menstruating 3 year old.

I went through sort of related issues with difficult child 1. Not period stuff obviously, but ridiculously bad personal hygiene. He would not wash his hair, he would not wash his body. So I told him, "YOu go and wash. If you cannot do it, I will come into the bathroom with you and wash you. I know you're a well-developed adolescent male who does not want his mother to se him naked, but me seeing you naked is preferable to the rest of the world smelling you dirty."

I would go over him after his shower, and give him the sniff test. If he was still not clean enough, I would send him back, with the serious threat that I would come in and make sure by physically supervising, or lathering him up myself. I would have let him wear his "budgie smugglers" (Speedo swimsuit) but I was going to insist. He knew I would do it - I think that was the important thing. Never make a threat you won't follow through on.

With girls and periods and not looking after herself - definitely one for the doctor, in so many areas. And yes, I agree with personal supervision of every napkin change. No tampons permitted if she can't prove a much greater capability of looking after herself - it's too easy for someone so slovenly to leave a tampon in and get a nasty (and dangerous) infection. Or even TSS.

If you have a girl who responds to this by simply refusing to change pads (and is therefore leaving track marks around the place) then do a Sylvia Fine (Fran's mother from "The Nanny") and cover the couch with clear plastic. Not permitted to sit down, dearie, if you are going to leave marks.

Same goes with washing soiled underwear - it's not a punishment, it's simply personal responsibility, to be made to wash them out. I would work alongside and support her in doing it (talking her through it, showing her what to do but making her do it) but not let her get away from it. Clean underwear on application and also by the clock. Fresh pads by the clock, with supervision of disposal of the soiled one. If necessary, sequestering her at home during her period until she's able to be trusted to change her pads responsibly herself. I know that sounds drastic, but her long-term physical and mental health comes in ahead of education on this. A kid who is this physically irresponsible is probably not following through with education, either.

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
My 'perfect' daughter did the same thing for years. I'd find Kotex in her closet, under her bed, in her drawers...I just didn't get it and still don't. Her answer was always, "I forgot." Yeah...it's called being lazy.

I always figured that it would work itself out when the first boyfriend came around and saw one of those. That would send him running to the door!

You can only preach so much, then it falls on deaf ears. Having a 3rd party discuss it with her might be a good thing.

Abbey