Blinded by Starlight

JJJ

Yesterday I ran into Annie whom I hadn't seen in a few years. Annie is the same age as Kanga.

I saw Annie get out of the car that she drove by herself to the store. Annie was very happy to see Piglet and I and told us all about how she has been. She finished high school in 3 years through the accelerated program and she has a full scholarship to an Ivy League-type top ranked university. She just won the top international award in her sport (which I had seen in the paper). She was happy, healthy and downright glowing in that beautiful way that only those on the brink of a great adventure can be.

When I got home, Kanga called. She was grumpy, disrespectful, complaining about having to write a letter to treatement team in order to be moved from Assessment Phase into the regular program cause 'regular sentences are too hard', and very clearly heading toward a life that I would not have chosen in my darkest nightmares.

The contrast between where we could/would/should have been and where we are was blindingly apparent. Annie may be volunteering at some of Piglet's camps. I hope that Piglet looks at her and dreams of what might be and reaches for the stars.

JJJ

I'm not as sad as I thought I would be. It was bittersweet seeing her and I hope we get to see a lot of her this summer. I actually feel motivated to make sure that Piglet has all the support she needs to be more like Annie than Kanga. I had already hired a reading tutor for Piglet for the summer and I was toying with having a little study group since she likes doing things with her friends, maybe a twice a week thing????

I cannot let Kanga pull me down with violence or with grief. I need to be better than that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
(((hugs)))

Stinks when it's bittersweet like that. Let it fill you up with hope for piglet, instead of bring you down. Who knows, at some point in the future kanga may turn around and surprise everyone. Stranger things have happened.

susiestar

Roll With It
(((((hugs)))))

You have a good attitude about this. It can be really hard to run into the Annie in your life, but I think you are handling it very well. I hope that piglet can be inspired by Annie and becomes determined to reach for her very own Starlight instead of for the dregs the way Kanga seems to be. I also hope that enough time in the dregs will inspire Kanga to find her own Starlight.