Blizzard-hope everyone stays safe!

Wiped Out

Staff member
We are home today, safe in our home with no intention of going anywhere (although I'm a bit sad-husband bought firewood yesterday but didn't know we needed a new lighter so no fire or candles). I'm hoping this is a really peaceful and safe day for everyone.

Anyone with plans to wait out the blizzard?

I plan on relaxing and watching Christmas movies, maybe playing the some games with difficult child. I'm so thankful husband bought a snow blower yesterday. I wasn't sure how we were going to shovel all of the snow. husband is worried about his heart because of having stents put in this past summer and I was worried about shoveling because I think I have a torn rotator cuff.

Again, everyone in the path of this blizzard please stay safe!

slsh

member since 1999
Stay safe and warm, Sharon. We're just getting buckets of rain right now - snow isn't supposed to hit 'til this evening, though I think the winds are going to pick up throughout the day (note to self - check generator).

husband came running into the bathroom this morning in a panic - someone at the news station didn't get their coffee this morning and typed that the accumulation is going to be 306 inches. :rofl: I assured him that it's ok, and with the usual accuracy of the weather guys around here, we're either going to get a dusting or a couple feet, but I was quite sure 306 inches was not in the realm of possibility.

He was talking earlier this week about checking out an electric snow blower. I told him that I thought wet snow and electricity was a pretty bad idea for anyone in our family (Murphy's Law). He reassured me that he'd wear insulated shoes or skis. Mental image: husband falling off skis, rogue snow blower dragging him down the street on his belly, off into the bright white yonder. I thanked him for his consideration, since if he *does* go electric, he would get unplugged before disappearing forever, and I wouldn't get left with a half-plowed driveway.

Men and their toys. :hammer: (I should add our driveway is maybe 30 feet long, and most of it is covered by cars, so it's not like there's a lot to shovel. Plus - we have 2 able-bodied boys/men here who are perfectly capable of shoveling.)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stay safe Sharon and other members in the path of this storm.

We're not supposed to get much, if anything, out of this one. I think it's staying north mostly. I can't say I'd complain if we did. It would be nice to have a white xmas this year and I have a certain little grandson (Brandon) who is dying for some snow. lol Right now it's just lots of rain, which we also need. I just hope if it drops down cold enough to snow I don't have a giant ice skating rink in the yard and patio.

Regardless, I'm cleaning today, watching easy child's two little ones while she has lunch with Darrin at school, then decorating. (yes I'm late on getting them up this year) I'll be going out at some point for bread and milk, because I need them not because of the storm. lol

BusynMember

We're supposed to visit my daughter in Chicago. Sadly, it can't happen and we will go after the first of the year. Man, the snow is coming down in Wisconsin (and Chicago!)

T

TeDo

You all stay safe......and warm. This is one storm that's actually going to miss us (as far as I've heard).

cubsgirl

They are calling for us to get about 6 inches. Of course, I work this evening (I work very part-time) and will get to drive home in the snow/rain turned to ice/wind. I love when I can stay home when it snows and look out the window!

Mattsmom277

We are waiting for a major snow storm with high winds to blow in within the next few hours. Right now its fairly mild, around -5 celcius. We are supposed to get about 25+ cms of snowfall and gusty winds, which will white out visibility for travelling. I ran out to the crazy Walmart this morning, as this is to last until tomorrow late in the day. I picked up some essentials to make sure we didn't run out of anything we need. I've postponed my last minute holiday meal grocery shop until Saturday.

H

HaoZi

I think we're expecting 1-3 inches and blowing winds and whiteouts starting this evening. I'll be surprised if they have school tomorrow - vacation may start early, since tomorrow was the last day. I'll have to work either way, but at least work is close to home and the street crews here keep the main roads pretty clear.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Wow, schools are closed again tomorrow! This hasn't happened since before my children were born. I'm a little disappointed because one of my difficult child students was supposed to have his last day tomorrow because they are moving to southern Illinois. I really wanted a chance to give him a last hug and let him know how much we love him and will miss him.

However, I think the district made the right decision; the snow is still coming down and the roads are closed. When all is said and done we may end up with 20 inches of snow. We were out shoveling and using the snow blower and it was lightening. I didn't hear any thunder but husband and easy child/difficult child did.

H

HaoZi

The snow started here a little while ago and my boyfriend just got called out for the first power outage of the night (he's on call this week).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I can't say I care much for this wind. Neither do the outside cats, Minnie and Midnight try with everything they have to get inside any time the door is open. Can't say I blame them much.

Temp has dropped. I have ice forming on the porch. Oh goody. I'd rather have snow. bleh

There are branches in the yard already. Discovered them the last time I pottied the girls.

This wind mixed with snow would not be fun. I hope those getting the snow are able to stay inside and keep nice and cozy warm.

Mattsmom277

It's really picking up here. Started hours and hours later than we expected. I picked my brother up from the Greyhound station. His town is an hour and a half away. His bus was over two hours late. There will definitely be no school buses running tomorrow here as the snow won't be stopping until Saturday afternoon, but the heavy snow will go until tomorrow evening. We had an hour or two of freezing rain pellets before the snow began, so under it all is going to be a thick layer of pure ice. Under an estimated 30 cms (new forecast increased snow fall amounts) of snow. Winds right now are gusting up to 58km's an hour but are supposedly going to go up to 90 within the next few hours. I'm not even hitting a shovel before Saturday evening. Pointless.

Stay safe and warm everyone!

H

HaoZi

School cancelled after I finally got Kiddo up and partially fed this morning. Wish it would have cancelled last night so we could have slept, I don't have to be at work until 9 today, most Fridays I have to be in at 7 and would have needed to be up this early, but didn't need to today.

TerryJ2

Gosh, you're all really getting dumped on. Brings back memories.
I don't know if my little sister has left yet from MN to fly to Calif. I left her a msg today. I guess I'll find out tomorrow night when I get to Calif.

Star*

call 911........call 911
slsh -

........note to self.......owes star one computer screen, a monitor, and a cell phone cover.......and a roll of Bounty, and some lysol kitchen spray. The visual was AWESOME.......roflm snow blower off.

NICE..........:hi5:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Went out for the first time today; roads are still very slippery. Even the main roads aren't in great shape.

Mattsmom277

Its cold tonight, easy child and I went for the last minute holiday groceries. But it's beautiful. We ended up with 30cm's total snow fall, perhaps a little more. But it's ended and the plows have been out and sidewalks cleared. So now it's just a gorgeous winter wonderland with no snow forecast for probably at least another week. The layers of snow piled on the bare tree branches makes a evening walk enjoyable, even with wind chill at -20 celcius tonight. Hope you all have great weather for any of you travelling.

B

Bunny

We haven't had aything yet. I'm hearing on the weather that we might get some snow Christmas Eve into Christmas Day. Makes me glad that I'm doing the cooking this year. Stay safe, everyone!

DammitJanet

ya know, now I actually feel better about how we actually do down here when we do get a bunch of snow. We dont often get a whole lot of snow but when we do get a lot, we tend to get a LOT of snow. One year we got 36 inches at one time! Jamie made a snow man that was taller than he was and at that time he was 6'4"! This was back when he was in HS. I dont remember the year.

Of course everything does close here and we tend not to be able to get roads back open quite as fast as you up north because we dont have as many plows I think but we do a pretty good job. They start immediately putting that stuff out on the interstates and bridges even before the snow really starts then they start plowing as it is coming down. Back roads are a mess. We have a lot of back roads that dont get a whole lot of sun. One good thing though about down here is that we tend to warm up rather quickly so it doesnt stay cold for very long. Once the sun does come back out we will warm back up to above freezing and the snow will melt. I think the 36 inches did keep schools closed for over a week though.