Blood draw tomorrow/insomnia

crazymama30

So difficult child had to get his thyroid and lipids checked tomorrow. The blood draw itself? No big deal. The fact that it has to be fasting? Huge deal. I even told him wr can go out for breakfast afterward, and he is still having a fit. Saying how we have nothing" good" to eat (ie junk food) and he will starve! I just calmly sent him to his room to"starve" as he put it. Lol.

He is so sleep deprived. I have him 50mg of trazodone the night before last......it did not touch him. Did 100mg last night? And he stayed asleep. That was a plus. Will try 100mg the next few days (that is the highest dose per psychiatrist) and if he does not start sleeping better? I am calling her. He is almost as bad as me when I don't get enough sleep!

StressedM0mma

Ugh!! I just took difficult child for the same blood test on Thursday. I didn't tell her until we were out the door. Oops. It wasn't a big deal for her to be fasting because she normally doesn't eat breakfast. The actual blood draw had her worked up. It went really well though. She didn't even know she was finished until the woman told her. Hope he doesn't "starve" too much by morning. :)

crazymama30

For him? The blood draw, itself is no big deal, but not eating? The first thing out of his mouth in the morning is what is for breakfast? He had always been a big breakfast eater. Hopefully he will chill out after he gets some sleep.

H

HaoZi

Good luck! We tried blood draw this morning and they couldn't get a drop out of Kiddo, either arm. It's a high anxiety thing for her, so tomorrow we have to pump her up with water and try again. She's not overly resistant this time at least.

crazymama30

The trazodone worked! He is out! This its the earliest he had been asleep all week, heck since he got home from Residential Treatment Center (RTC)!

Plus he has decided he wants to go out for breakfast, so he will do the blood draw tomorrow fasting.... Now lets see if he changes his mind by morning!

DammitJanet

good luck. I hate knowing I have to have a fasting test. I figure out the exact amount of time that it is I can eat or drink up to and I eat or drink right up to that very last minute....believe me. I have to get in that last amount of diet coke and my cigarettes...lol.

lovelyboy

Maybe tell him exactly what time he will be able to eat again and give him a surprise every 30 minutes? Bribing always works for us!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
We had to do a fasting one for difficult child back in December. He doesn't mind the blood draws but oooohhhh the fasting. He was not happy but did make it-with a bribe.

difficult child has already asked today when is lunch. The boy never stops thinking about food!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I hate fasting tests, too.

Found out from a nurse at a lab, not long ago - black coffee is OK to drink for most fasting tests... NOT for surgery, of course. (In any case, ask before you do this.)

Whew...

crazymama30

He is not awake yet, it isn't even 8am yet our time. He was talking about going out to breakfast last night before he went to sleep, so I an hoping it goes ok. We will see.

I am just glad he is sleeping!

crazymama30

Wow. difficult child did not wake up untill a little after 9. Went to the lab fasting, went to a local restaurant that used to be a truck stop and ordered the biggest breakfast, he ate it for lunch and will eat it for dinner too!

I sure hope he keeps sleeping like this

buddy

Q has to do this this week too....

Not looking forward to it. I am asking for that medication that makes him numb not the emla cream the one that does it instantly and is complete..... OUr doctor says they have it.

StressedM0mma

Wow. That is a great sleep. I hope it continues for you. difficult child stayed up until 1 on Friday and Saturday nights. We let her have the computer later because it was her birthday. She was up at 10:30 on Saturday, and at noon today. She has been pretty pleasant too.