Blood in stool

K

Kjs

Lots of it, blood clots. Bright red. Could it be from Advil / Excedrin when taken a lot? No pain. Dr. is off on Thursday's. Need advice.

DammitJanet

I guess it could be but I would think that would be more of the coffee ground type blood. It could be hemorrhoids. It could also be something in your colon. Get to the ER. Cant take chances with bleeding from rectum.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Unless you've had an unusually...ummm...bad, straining toilet visit, I'd definetely go to the doctor.

Abbey

slsh

member since 1999
I agree with- Janet - if it's related to pain relievers, it would be coffee ground and/or black tarry. The clots especially are very worrisome - I don't think you should wait for your doctor on this one.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Bright red blood and clots can be due to internal hemorrhoids or rectal fissures or tears. Bleeding from aspirin or NSAIDs is from the stomach, and is digested by the time it reaches the colon.

That bleeding presents as tarry or 'coffee-grounds' stools.

It is imperative that you see a doctor immediately. Try to get a sample of the blood and stool to bring with you. It's icky, but you can do this easily by wearing a disposeable rubber glove and turning a baggie inside out over your hand. Pick up a bit of the fecal matter, turn the baggie right side up over it, and then close the baggie.

All you need then do is dispose of the glove and wash your hands.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Definately go see someone ASAP!!!! You can also get a sample by "sacrificing" a sealable container such as tupperware. (Get the sample the same way you would do a urine sample but into the container. This way there isn't any possible contamination from the water in the toilet.)

It could be from a rectal vessel issue (can't spell 'roids) but from your description, I would guess that something producing that kind of blood would be something you would have noticed by now.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
One can rupture an internal hemorrhoid with no previous symptoms and no pain at time of bleed. Basically, hemorrhoids are just varicose veins and anything that increases abdominal pressure (heavy lifting, straining, childbirth, etc) can cause them.

Since the tissue there is so fragile, it takes very little for one to rupture.

They bleed like crazy and aspirin/ibuprofen would increase bleeding time.

Fissures and tears usually hurt like the dickens, especially fissures. In any case, you HAVE to see a doctor ASAP.

hemorrhoids can be repaired on an outpatient basis and from what I understand, it is now done as cryosurgery and isn't nearly as painful as it was in the old days.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I agree with the others. You need to be seen asap. If it's a tear/fissure.....last thing you want is it to get infection or other complications.

Hugs

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Daisylover is right. An infection there is very likely to cause an outright abcess and abcesses are very likely to cause lasting damage (not to mention being extremely painful)