Blood stain removal anyone??

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Anyone know how to get out a blood stain from a berber-type couch cushion? I'm petrified to do anything for fear that I will spread the stain.

H will flip if I can't get it out (he hasn't even seen it) - this couch is only a year old and last year, 3 days after getting it delivered, my mom dropped a gel pen in between the cushions and the couch drank up the gel like it was dying of thirst - that has never come out (fortunately, it's between the cushions, not on top!!).

Help!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have one. Pour hydrogen peroxide onto the stain, let bubble. Depending on the size of the stain, you might have to do this more than once. Then clean up what bubbles up with cold water on a rag.

mother in law gave me this tip years ago. I've saved more things with it!

Hugs and good luck.

PS now the obvious question..... How did you get blood on the couch??

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Lisa, thanks! After I posted I did a search and they suggested the peroxide. I took the entire cushion downstairs with the peroxide and a glass of cold water. First I stuck some plastic wrap inside the cushion to protect the fill, and then I wet the spot with cold water. Let that soak in and then patted it a bit, covered with peroxide, which amazing ONLY stayed on the blood spot and didn't run anywhere else - as if it knew it was there for this purpose!! Anyway, I then used my H's shop vac to :censored2: up the liquid and with it came most of the stain. So I repeated my steps and now the stain is GONE. I am so relieved. Now I will let it dry and then removed the plastic wrap from inside. Wow. What an excellent thing to know.

How did it happen? :bag: I fell asleep on the couch last night and when I woke up I discovered that I "leaked" onto the cushion. That woke me up! :smile:

Perimenopause bites the big one, that's all I can say. :grrr: Sometimes I hate being a girl.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm glad the stain came out.

It works on clothes too by the way.

If it makes you feel better, mother in law gave me the tip so I'd stop ruining our sheets every darn month, as well as alot of my clothing. lol I swear it's the worst part of being female.

Hugs

Great! :smile:

It works on coffee stains on carpeting, too. Be sure to do a test spot first. Hydrogen peroxide is a mild bleaching agent.

Have you tried hairspray on the ink stain on the sofa cushion?

I was always gettig ink stains on the pockets of my uniforms.

Hairspray took them out, every time.

And for shining faucets, mirrors, windows, and cleaning glass topped tables, straight rubbing alcohol on a clean white cloth does a beautiful job without streaking. Periodically, you will need to do the mirrors with a solution of about 1/3 rubbing alcohol to a bowl of warm water with maybe three drops of liquid dish detergent in it. Wash the windows or mirror with a clean white cloth and squeegee dry ~ never a streak.

And here is another thing I learned. If you have nicks in anything wooden and you aren't ready yet to refinish whatever it is, take a crayon the same color as the wood and rub it over the nicked or scratched area.

And here is my final tip.

Real mayonnaise mixed with cigarette ashes will remove moisture rings from wood surfaces.

:smile:

Barbara

Star*

call 911........call 911
Jo -

Take the cushions to a dry cleaner for chemical removal of GEL ink stains or write a pen company and ask them.