Blood test for depression

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
THAT is pretty amazing and hopeful. My question is "Who is paying for this scientific research?". Is it an independent study through the schools funded by public grant money OR is it an independent study funded by a pharmaceutical company?

keista

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say grant. Pharmaceutical companies don't reveal even preliminary discoveries until they have figured out how to patent and directly profit from them.
Redei said her team hoped to perfect the blood panel by testing it in larger and more varied groups of subjects — including those with other psychiatric illnesses, including bipolar disorder, that are sometimes mistakenly diagnosed as major depression.
This, to me, would be a true dream come true.

I've mentioned before that in my opinion many of the AD drugs have those crazy listed side effects because they are given to ppl who don't actually have depression, but bipolar and didn't recognize their manic episodes as mania.

InsaneCdn

Studies like this are always a catch-22, though.
Even IF the blood test is proven effective... will it be accurate across ALL forms of depression?
Because if it isn't... it means that one class of patients will get validation... and the others will be worse off than before.

keista

Insane, that happens anyway. DD1 is perfect example. Asperger's is a form of Autism. As per ADOS she is not on the spectrum. As per the subtests she's most definitely on the spectrum. So is she on the spectrum or not?

The artivcle said they are moving forward looking for markers for different types of depression. Honestly there's lots of stuff that looks like depression, but isn't - the depressive symptoms are caused by something else. The have to investigate if this shows up in the blood tests or not.

Reality is, no blood test is 100% perfect, so we do the best we can.

DammitJanet

Like Lyme. This could be another yes it is, no it isnt. I wonder what shows up if you have been in treatment for years?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I don't know if I like this or not. Personally I don't need a blood test to diagnosis my depression. - I don't take a shower all week, I smell, I dont' want to go to town, Sunlight burns my eyes and it's rained for a week......and I'd rather be alone more than do anything else?
Nope happier than a clam in sand.

But stuff me in a room with 50 other people, have me look at my bank account balance, tell me I have to go shopping, MAKE me go to the movies, take my dogs away from me, or force me to wear a bra. LORD someone pass the welbutrin.