Blue Screen Of Death - computer people??

susiestar

Roll With It
A while ago my computer gave me the blue screen of death and restarted itself. I have not seen the blue screen of death in fifteen or more years, not since I quit using computers my dad messed with.

I was playing a jigsaw puzzle game online and listening to an audiobook with windows media player. The book was saved on the computer and nothing else was going on.

Any idea WHY I got the blue screen of death? It said to check the memory but I had over 50% of both the processor and the memory free.

This is the third time this computer (purchased in march 2010) has had a problem. the first two required reformatting the computer and reinstalling everything. The warranty people are all located in India (I ask each time I call) and usually they take at least 4 hours of phone time to get to the point of reformatting it.

I am almost ready to toss this thing through a window if it does this koi again.

Any hints/tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated. It is an HP.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Most likely you have a virus or some other form of malware on the machine. Have a pro remove the virus(s) for you, and then have them install a good antiviral software.

I like AVG for this purpose. There is a shareware version plus more advanced versions that require payment. DO NOT download antivirus software from sites advertising various products. Too often these themselves are malware, usually spyware.

Josie

I kept getting the blue screen on my Sony. I reformatted and reinstalled everything but still got it. It eventually got to the point where I was getting it regularly.

It was under warranty and Sony sent someone out to fix it. It ended up that I had to send it in, but now it is working well.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Susie - is it under warranty still?

If not - quick wonderment. Does it have a lot of error messages, talking about a physical memory dump, or just blue? If it has errors (in white), there's a good chance you have a loose memory stick. OR, and this is a bit easier - your actual memory may be free, but your virtual memory may be jacked up.

If you right-click Computer ("My Computer") you should be able to then click Manage. Unfortunately I'm locked out of it here at work, so I can't tell you more right this second - but - what operating system are you using?