Board support needed for tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE-URGENTLY NEEDED

DDD

Even though you have justified negative feelings toward mother in law (yes, I know she started it) this issue really has nothing to do with mother in law. This issue is between you and husband. Just the two of you...making a major decision as a couple. Please don't let the issues overlap as that will lead to a lose/lose. Hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

I tend to agree with DDD's take on this one. Years and years ago when Tony and I were newly together we were faced with something similar in our lives. We had my Billy who was around 5 at the time, Jamie was 2 and Cory was about 3 months old. Tony's dad was severely injured in an accident 3 months after he and I met and became a quadriplegic. That was in 1983. In 1986, his family asked us if we could take him in with us to care for him. Now remember, we were living hand to mouth at that time with Tony working construction, me going to school full time, 3 kids under 5, and living in a 2 bedroom mobile that was built in 1971. What was really bad was Tony's mom was dead. She had died when he was 15. Most of his sibling were in the same or worst shape as we were. His father hadnt had health insurance.

Oh Tony had wanted to take his Dad in. We both did. I had only met him one time before he was hurt. After he was hurt we went up there and the entire family was awful to me but he was nice to me. The only one who was. I wanted to take him in but I knew it wouldnt work. We were way too young and he was so severely disabled. I actually went down to a nursing home and talked to a social worker there and she helped me talk to Tony to see that he wasnt being selfish in telling his father and his family that he just couldnt do it. That he had his own family to take care of now and that he simply couldnt take on that kind of responsibility and do his father the kind of justice he deserved. In the end, his dad went into a nursing home.

Of course, look at us. We ended up being the caregivers to his grandmother and my mother but that was when we were older.

I dont blame you with this. I think you would be miserable in this situation. Your H isnt able to stand up against his mother when he is around her. Its not the same as my situation. I think your H would revert to a little boy and you would be left out in in the cold. It would be them against you all around.

I dont know that I would lay the moving out card on the table at the very beginning of the conversation. I think that would come out at the end if he simply cannot or will not agree that he can tell his mother she is not moving in with you. In fact, maybe the best way this should happen is if he has the conversation with her is in the therapist's office so he feels supported or has someone else around besides you. One time I was feeling rather upset by something my father had said to me and was afraid to call him and I made the call while in my therapist's office so she could be there for me if he said something to upset me. That might be a good way for your H to do this phone call. He can have a basic script written out ahead of time with bullet-ed points and it could even be on speaker phone so if something is said that he is confused by you or the therapist could help him.

That is just my thoughts.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Even though you have justified negative feelings toward mother in law (yes, I know she started it) this issue really has nothing to do with mother in law. This issue is between you and husband. Just the two of you...making a major decision as a couple. Please don't let the issues overlap as that will lead to a lose/lose. Hugs. DDD

I know and I've used up all my energy keeping my mouth shut about that part! Hahaha, but thank you for the reminder. I was just venting here about it.

I'm so glad I've been getting some more sleep and the prozac has kicked in, lol.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I dont blame you with this. I think you would be miserable in this situation. Your H isnt able to stand up against his mother when he is around her. Its not the same as my situation. I think your H would revert to a little boy and you would be left out in in the cold. It would be them against you all around.

I dont know that I would lay the moving out card on the table at the very beginning of the conversation. I think that would come out at the end if he simply cannot or will not agree that he can tell his mother she is not moving in with you. In fact, maybe the best way this should happen is if he has the conversation with her is in the therapist's office so he feels supported or has someone else around besides you. One time I was feeling rather upset by something my father had said to me and was afraid to call him and I made the call while in my therapist's office so she could be there for me if he said something to upset me. That might be a good way for your H to do this phone call. He can have a basic script written out ahead of time with bullet-ed points and it could even be on speaker phone so if something is said that he is confused by you or the therapist could help him.

Thank you Janet. I won't say anything about the moving out part unless it becomes a reality that his mom may actually move into our home. You're correct, H would just become a little boy and I would be relied on to care for his mom - something I cannot take on at all. I'm stretched way to thin as it is caring for my own mom. I can tell you that it will be a miracle if anything is resolved in the therapist's office tonight (that is why I'm asking for board power), so there is no way in heck that H would consider making that call from the tdocs office, hahaha, really, no way. Last week he said he wanted to talk with his mom in person and is considering flying down there for it. On the one hand, I am thinking "Fine, go" but then I think that I should go as well so there are NO misconceptions. I don't want to revisit this again next Spring, Know what I mean?? If he's going to go see her and explain it all, I think he will need back up and I will have no problem being that person (in a kind way, I promise).

I'm just exhausted by all this.

Thanks everyone for the support, prayers and juju! Much appreciated. I will update you tomorrow.

DDD

Another old saying, lol, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". Don't plan to travel South to provide him with a backbone. He either does it....or he doesn't. You've been covering his back for years and before that his parents did it. It's "man up" time. Sorry to input so much but I swear I know your husband.
DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Another old saying, lol, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". Don't plan to travel South to provide him with a backbone. He either does it....or he doesn't. You've been covering his back for years and before that his parents did it. It's "man up" time. Sorry to input so much but I swear I know your husband.
DDD

I think you mentioned once or twice our H's are very similar...lol

LittleDudesMom

Jo,

not sure if you have gone to the doctor yet, but positive thoughts your way. I haven't read the other replies, but in answer to your last question - do you tell H if mom moves in you move out - if you expect honesty and frankness from H in dealing with his mom, you owe him the same. Good luck.

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
Jo,

If this is...as everyone else has suggested between your husband and you? And if it is as before suggested that it is HIS place to set things straight with his Mother and he has yet (once again) done so - it is creating (once again) more undo stress on you. You have surgery coming up, a job - not to mention other things (life) to deal with. As with this situation - and I've said it before very bluntly he's going to have to man up and deal with it or loose you - should that be your choice. You seem to be very adamant about the not living with her part from what you have said here. I can completely relate having had been forced to live with my x mother in law. I will NEVER do it again. I will live in a tent before I'd do it again. Some get along okay - and some would live in a box from the grocery - I'm the latter.

That being said - and in between the lines from her statements? HOW about - before she goes off and sells things/does the estate sales - SOMEONE suggest she try - THERAPY for her depression BEFORE she makes RADICAL changes in her life???????? A lot of what I see from what you've written is NOT --------NOT her trying to hone in on your life....but a NEED to IMMEDIATELY fill a VOID that a lot of people just can't handle when they loose someone or have a major loss in their life. Whether she got along with him or not - she apparently can NOT handle the silence and being lonely - ie: depression and is keeping herself busied by making MAJOR plans.....the bigger, the grander - the better for HER filling the void. She (forgive here) may not even REALIZE....she is being all intrusive. No one has said......"NO you may not move in with us, or IT WILL NOT work out, or whatever because let's face it - WHO wants to tell their Mother - they are not welcome to live with them AFTER they provided a place to live for them in the needy years of their lives. It would be nearly impossible if you ask me for this to occur and say - Oh well - assisted living Mom. In my mind - that equates Nursing home and well.....that's a banana peel away from the inevitable. She is probabaly a vibrant woman who needs - friends, activities.......and support - but right now mostly? Needs to understand her GRIEF....and HOW to fill the gap in her life that has been created from the missing parts created from the death of her mate. Not easily done. Possibly therapy and medications could help - depression depletes our SSRI's - and we don't even realise the impact of it in our brains chemical make up. IT's also taxing on your Hubby too. Not to mention - you.

Hope things went well - but I would suggest HE suggest BEFORE radical moves........Six months of therapy - THEN see how it feels in the Spring. Stand by that and then talk about assisted living.

Hugs

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Star, you make excellent, common sense points, as always. My mother in law is clinically depressed, has been for a better portion of her life. It usually shows itself through anger, just like with H. MANY have suggested to her over the years and now to get therapy, a support group, bereavement support, etc, see the dr for some medications, etc., to no avail. She adamantly refuses to acknowledge that she is like "those" people (the kind that need medications/therapy). In her younger years she was actually a counselor for teen girls at a juvy and was fired for suggesting birth control, this was in the '80's in CA. Yeah, she's smart and talks the talk, but does not walk the walk, so to speak. In speaking with sister in law yesterday, I learned that mother in law is behaving very similarly to how her older sister behaved about five years before she passed. Dementia is starring to creep it's way into mother in law's brain, sister in law believes.

Anyway, bottom line is that H needs to man up and take care of this and hopefully he will tonight.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I would personally not rest my peace on a hope.......

My time on this earth is too short to continually spend it in an uproar over a woman who has ALREADY gotten to live her life the way she chose in her house, her rules, her way - without HER Mother in Law intruding sans her say so.

I had allowed - for a long time - my xmil to walk on me and grind me into the dirt, and even watched her get her way all the while making herself out to be the martyr. It wasn't until years later after much thearpy I realized that just because she was a mother in law or XMIL - she did not have permission to have her way no matter what, while making me feel like everything was wrong or my fault because I had married her son. Those issues were her problems and if she needed to deal with them? She could always go to therapy. I was, am and always have been a nice, polite, caring person - who ...when given the same respect will treat that person well. I am no longer the person that thinks I have to constantly be the person who NO MATTER WHAT - has to be the nice, polite, caring person - just because someone has a title like mother in law. You treat me like crud....You're on the list. Doesn't mean I'm going to treat YOU the same - just means you're not going to get the respect you think your're going to get just "because" you have a title. Act like an ape - you're not getting a corsage. And I see it in so many people.

As far as your husband? If he wants to tolerate her bullying behavior and allow her to walk all over him? So be it. You can't change him -only you. However when it comes to your house if that's a 50/50 deal? I'd be finding out which 50% is mine legally - and letting him know - he can either share it with you........or share it with a real estate lawyer. Unless of course you're willing to just be miserable and continue swallowing this for the rest of her life....banking on the fact that she's now in the beginning stages of dementia and may or may not be around for oh I dunno two to twelve more years. You both have tough choices. I only see one of you being firm. Hopefully both of you will be.

Best of luck.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
He's not gettin' it, folks. Just went over it all again. He said he's already told her she's moving too fast...ummmm, hon? That's not the issue. Reiterated the sitch to him. And then I said it: if you don't call your mother and spell it out for her, make it perfectly crystal clear to her that she IS NOT moving into our home, then I will.

Lol, I swear, he stopped breathing for a moment. Then asked, "what am I supposed to say?" Sigh. We are going to work on putting some ideas on paper before the call, which I want to be here for so I can be certain he's clear. I may have to skip class tomorrow to be sure.

Thanks again.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I would go back to telling him.........

I feel your Mother is lonely...........and making RASH decisions. She just suffered an ENORMOUS loss.......and needs counseling for the grief. WHY NOT.........tell her in addition to moving too fast......that you INSIST she see a therapist for at least six months before she go jumping off the deep end and moving 10 states away, selling her things.....etc (which sounds a little crazy to me) and let's see how she feels about this move in say six months? Then if she's still serious after therapy and grief counsling over the loss of your Father? We'll talk to her then?