Bonding out - scary

BBK it is good enough!!!! thanks! I understand somewhat where you are coming from and I am not in denial about what the outcome may be. I just need to prepare myself. Sometimes I think it is better when he is in jaiil, although he is getting no help, it relieves my mind that he cant get out. Keep posting to me. I am not offended!!!!!!!

everywoman

Susan, You sound so much stronger than you did when you first joined. I know that detachment is hard. My difficult child is currently back home, again, after me saying several times he would never be allowed back. But, what do you do when you've tried everything and the child you love so is obviously unable to survive in the world. I can't see my child homeless and hungry. He is an addict. He is menally ill. He has no way to support himself. He has no insurance for rehab or pysch hospital or even to see anyone locally. He is on probation. He may have to go to prison also because he may not complete the things he needs to do. He should be off probation next week---but he still owes 200+ in fines and owes a few more hours of community service that he may not complete. He missed his last drug class because someone hit his car and he was stuck 60 miles away with no transportation to get there and the next is not scheduled until after his meeting with his PO next week. Will I help him out? No--- Do I still love and worry about him--- Yes. It's a hard road to walk with these young adults. The world sees them as men---but they are still very much children.

Sunlight

BBK I am so glad you post to others from your exp as an addict. whatever worked to make you turn around...is truly a blessing.

I do not think ANYONE is a parent emeritus as I said. no experts, never retired unless you cut you child off for life or they cut you off. then are you an expert, is that a success story??

I feel some of those being too harsh on others has been a trend in posts to parents of older offspring...that sent me off this board as well. I also think anyone can at the very least be supportive and compassionate even if they have never been there done that themselves.

sometimes with an addict, it does not turn around. no matter what is tried. you still love your offspring, they may continue their ways and you change yours but you WILL see and know them and what is going on in their life. everywoman painted a very good picture of their choice for their son.

by the way a short lesson for susie...LOL
jail means a county jail...so different than prisons.
most jails only hold those incarcerated for about 2 yrs. they are holding tanks with little programs to offer and no indepth studies of the men to determine their security needs, not much in the way of any services and usually run by each county. only AA mtgs if some outsider comes in and it is rare. one psychologist who you wait months to see. no counseling. most men are in cells 23/7 as they are overcrowded. during free time they are all in one room and they argue and the TV blasts, noisy as all get out, drugs are sold in most jails AND prisons. drives you nuts. people steal even your toothbrush as when the cells are open, men wander in and take stuff. diff jails have diff personalities as determined by those who run them.

prisons are run by the federal government and each state then follows state guidelines as well. prisons all work about the same way in processing the incoming, the men are evaluated for about 4 weeks for what is their situation physically, mentally, and how dangerous are they, how long they are staying, what programs would benefit them. much bigger biz. most look like stacked tiers of caged men. some also have dorm areas-for a while Tony was in a dorm of 80 men-picture cramped tiny beds, men throwing urine and feces if they get the chance, while you are trying to sleep, some talk all night, many are mentally ill and not receiving the services they decided on, because it takes months to get care unless it is an emergency. pluses are they get to go outside once a day, to the gym for a bit each day and to a library (with tons of used torn books). they can have their own radio or TV with headphones so there is less noise. (if they can get a signal, afford the TV or radio and must also pay for cable TV-most cannot afford like my son cannot afford-they simply read more books) there are schedules and times to be places. some men are staying for life and have jobs, they get pennies per hour. some are sitting waiting for programs to begin, everyone is crowded and the punishments are more severe, all have gun carrying COs, the bigger yards have Yard Gunners with permission to shoot if need be. much more serious biz.

in PA they do not call them prisons anymore. they called them SCI followed by the name of the town they are in. SCI means State Correctional Institute. (wishing they truly could "correct" anyone)

Thank you ant's mom. You have painted a very realistic picture of what our young men have to endure. Also everywoman your story sounds oh so familiar. I know that the rehab my son will be going to is smoke free. No tobacco. That is the part I wonder about. Some part of me wants to find a facility that you can smmoke to make it less rigid but I know I shouldnt bother with anything. The other rehab that my difficult child wrote to and they wrote him back is also tobacco free. He said he wanted to go there. We will see. I think if he doesnt stay they can revoke his bond and put him back in jail. I hope that is not the case - notice the word hope.

What could/would be the alternative if he does not stay? Besides revoking his bond and putting him back in jail? I mean, that sounds like a pretty good incentive to get him to stay, and hope that it sinks in while he is there.

So many places are smoke-free anymore, I think you would be hard-pressed to find one that does allow smoking.

Ant's Mom, I know you left this board because of harsh comments (an a few cruel ones as well) and for that I am sorry, your mourning heart did not need that. I am glad you found a place for support, though.

Susan and I here, we go way back, though. She knows that my bark is worse than my bite :)

Well I know yall think I am crazy. I went to Goodwill and got some clothes for my difficult child. I have learned better than to get good ones. He traded a lot of his good clothes and shoes for you know what. Anyway I will wash them and get his Sunday clothes out and pack them in a suitcase I got at Goodwill for $4.50!!! I have learned so much. I am just hanging in here. Tommorrow I will take his clothes to the ministry man and he will deliver them when he picks him up - after my husband takes the money to the bondsman. Ya'll just say a prayer tonight we are having the wisdom God gave us.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susan,

I think going to Good will was brilliant. I SAW that store - after we were downtown in GV. OMG - I was like a puppy in the petshop window as we drove by - fast too - DF knows me.

If I had any advice that I could give you about taking him clothes tomorrow that I KNOW in my HEART was good, solid advice......

Drop off the clothes.....don't stay. Don't talk about ANYTHING that isn't positive. Don't talk about bailing him out, Don't talk about the clothes - and don't stay more than 4 or 5 minutes.

Reason?

It will let your son know that you are thinking about him. And it will let him know that you are allowing yourself some distance from his behaviors. Talk about the weather, talk about your dog, talk about something current event. Don't talk to him about him PERIOD. And if he wants you to stay - say "Maybe next time" and wish him well.

Reason?

It belive it or not will be easier on YOU and your heart to not stay so long. If you stay - you'll find yourself engaging him in who, what, where, when and why conversations that as an addict in recovery - he is TOO fragile to handle. It will not only surprise him, but keep him wondering about where he stands with you. That's a good thing. You bailed him out, He KNOWS you did that FOR him, he'll see the clothes, and he'll see you. If he doesn't see you too often or too long - he'll actually ask you to spend more time the next time. When you go - stay 5 minutes more than you did the last time. Wish him well......and leave.

The addicts and recovery places I went to over the years gave me that advice with my x. It gave him something to work for - it kept him wondering. In coming - it said "I support your efforts" in leaving soon it said "YOu have WORK to do - get busy."

Just thought I would pass on the advice. We used the same technique in Department of Juvenile Justice with Dude- we could have stayed 2 hours - but we did 15 minutes, then 30 etc. And for a while - he remembered that he missed his mom.

Hugs

meowbunny

Susan, I understand your need to help your son but do try to stay out of it as much as humanly possible. He really does need to prove to you, the ministry, the courts and, most importantly, himself that this is not a game, that he truly means it when he says he is quitting.

I do understand why you bailed him out. I don't know if it was the right decision for him or not, but I do understand it was the right decision for you. At this point, all you can do is pray that it works out for him.

After you give him the clothes, try to stay away as much as humanly possible unless you are asked to come by the rehab center itself, not your son. They'll know if he's manipulating you or truly needs you. If you go on your on or on his pleas, he may well go back to the manipulations (if he ever left them) so that he can return to his old ways. I know this is hard for you, but you need to stay strong so that your son has a chance at a succeeding.

Well friends thanks for taking the time to email me! You will be happy to know I am not even going near to see him. Actually I am dropping off his clothes at the church where the ministry man is. He will take his clothes on Tuesday. I cannot go down the jail another time. I know what I will hear. I am going on shear faith and hope. It is like stepping out on a plank over an ocean not knowing if it is going tohold me or not. One day at a time. Maybe I will write him a note - I know it sounds so unemotional but I have been over and above emotional forever. Maybe this will work. I am afraid I will just break down. I cant afford to do that - I have given most of my life tohelping him - even when he was a child - now I have to help my self - I have to finish out school!!!!!

'nette

"OMI"
i know how you feel about not even wanting to see him.... like with my daughter ...i know that all i will hear is pleading and lies and manipulations.... i actually took a few days off from answering jail calls to write a letter.... i feel that she will have to read this letter without interupting me and she will probably read it a few times...i just let her know that i love her but that she has made this bed with her choices....
stay strong and know that helping him doesn't always mean doing what HE wants you to do.... & yes! fininsh school!:D

Sunlight

just a note:
:(
smoking is allowed in some prisons (like my son's)..the cigs are 77 cents a pack
they can also buy snuff/chewing tobacco-cheap
stupid!

Well we will see if smoking cigarrettes are as important as he thinks they are. I really do not know what to expect. I am just trying to lay low. I know it must be hard stopping smoking but when my mother found out she was going to die if she didnt - she stopped. I am just conjuring up all kinds of scenerios. I guess I am just anxious.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
The prisons here are smoke free, so I always counted on when my son was there at least he was forced to stop smoking........When you think about it rehab is meant to fight addictive behaviors which would include smoking. Hope the "ministry man" knows what he is doing and your son is ready to change.

Well my son is at the place now. He ministry man said he thought it was money well spent. I hope we will find that to be true. He said our son was wondering what the judge will do when he goes to court, etc. I hope this is a good place for him - you cannot take medications there - nor smoke. My how he has leaned on that for deliverance. I hope now he can lean on something else or someone else.

Thank you BBK. The more prayers we send up maybe the more they will be heard! You are right - he called tonight - talked to everyone - he sounded good but he is still worried about his charges and court date - he said he plans to work the whole program and he likes it - right now I still want to believe but cant - I told him I loved him and believed in him - he can do anything he wants in this life but he needs something else to help him. Please keep him in your prayers.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sounds like a good start. Remember to keep working on YOUR detachment and YOUR Al-anon program. It is crucial to YOUR survival.

Sending hugs and prayers.

Susie

ps. You really have made progress, this is so very different from how you posted/reacted other times. You may not be "there", but you are making strides. Proud of you, it is very hard.

trinityroyal

Sounds like a good start. Remember to keep working on YOUR detachment and YOUR Al-anon program. It is crucial to YOUR survival.

Sending hugs and prayers.

Susie

ps. You really have made progress, this is so very different from how you posted/reacted other times. You may not be "there", but you are making strides. Proud of you, it is very hard.

Susan, I second everything that Susie said.
You do sound a lot stronger, and you sound as though you're detaching, one step at a time.

Sending prayers and strength to you, your family and your difficult child. I really hope that he is able to work the program and succeed.

Trinity