Boogers everywhere

Samantha Smith

Hi, I joined this community to try and get some advice on how to deal with my son. I am a single mother to my 17 almost 18 year old son and this is something he has been doing for a very long time but it seems to be escalating or maybe I am just noticing it more. Basically he picks his nose and wipes it everywhere, I have thrown out furniture, mattresses and other high dollar items because they are covered... literally covered. I don't know what to do to make him stop. I would have thought that he would have grown out of this like ten years ago, now he is going to be 18 this month and he is still doing it. I am at my whits end and as he gets older I becomes less and less tolerant with this crap. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

BusynMember

First thing you need to think about is if this is his only odd behavior. That is extremely "out there" for a child who is almost a young man. Something else has got to be going on...Aspergers? Is he developmentally delayed? I just don't think we have enough information. Sounds like something isn't right with him. Be glad to try to help, but we just don't know anything about your son other than this unusual rather childish habit and it doesn't help us help you.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We need more information. A LOT more information, especially as he will be a legal adult in such a short time.

If he is intellectually normal, then one solution is to tell him that he cannot continue to live with you if this behavior continues.

If he is either intellectually or emotionally handicapped, or both, to the point of not being able to live on his own, then obviously the above solution isn't viable.

We'd love to be able to advise, but really cannot without more information.