Book for Parents of older Spectrum kids

Fran

Former desparate mom
I thought this looked like a good resource. It was on the Autism Society web page. I'll be ordering it so I thought I would share.

"Adults on the Autism Spectrum Leave the Nest: Achieving Supported Independence" by Nancy Perry.

'Chelle

Thanks Fran, may look for the book. I've started to look at the future and wondering what changes we'll need to make to help him succeed. I can see some things my difficult child will have problems with - job interview being one, that problem of meeting and talking to new people and looking them in the eye. He'll be 16 in May and I've been letting him know, trying not to be too pushy, that it's the plan for him to try a part time job. I know I'll have to help with the application and all that, but the interview he's on his own. He already has said he won't like a job having to deal with people much, so waiter is out LOL. It's good he recognizes these things in himself anyway.

Fran,

Thanks for the info - I wasn't able to get a copy of it in my local library - I was told that if it came out fairly recently, I should try again next week.

Let us know what you think of it - I'm looking forward to reading it. WFEN

Fran

Former desparate mom
I ordered it through our site and amazon.com. It came quickly and I started to read it last night.

When I'm done, I'll be happy to send it out to anyone who wants it.