Book recommendation?

svengandhi

My HS junior daughter, a easy child, has volunteered to work as a 1-1 aide for a 3-year-old with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified at a sports program. She will be supervised by a "coach" who is an adult professional. She wants to teach elementary school and is trying to figure out if Special Education is something she wants to do. I think that she would be awesome at it.

Anyway, I am looking for a book or some articles to give her to read to familiarize herself with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and ABA, which the program will be using. She knows Aspies and at least one profoundly autistic child, but noone who is middle of the spectrum, which is where I have been led to believe the kids in this group will be. They will have training but she is a child who learns best by reading things over and over.

Thanks for any input.

BusynMember

My son has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. There is very little about it. Lots on Aspergers and classic autism, not much on Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. But she can learn by reading up on either as Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified is similar, especially to Aspergers (although there are differences).

susiestar

Roll With It
I just did an amazon search on pervasive developmental disorders. Seems like there are quite a few to choose from. I did notice some are on the buy 3 get 1 free promo. Not sure you need 3, but you could combine with other items.

Your daughter is doing a wonderful thing. It is amazing how strong our pcs are after handling the difficult child issues. seems to make many stronger (though not with-o issues, LOL!!)

If you click through the site to order, it helps the site.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-9547950-9973230?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Pervasive+developmental+disorder

I hope things go well and she not only has a great time, but learns a lot.

Susie