Book swap?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We had a book share thing going on at work, but they have recently decided we can no longer do that because someone might get offended by the content of one of the books.

So. I am packing home a box full of books I will never read again.

Would anyone be interested in any of them? Lots of John Grisham, most of John Sanford's Prey series, some horse books, a few Dean Koontz. Anyone?

If not, I'll see what I can get for them at a book swap place.

Lothlorien

We had a book share thing going on at work, but they have recently decided we can no longer do that because someone might get offended by the content of one of the books.

Are you kidding? They do have the choice of NOT reading a book. Just shaking my head, again. Plus, I think it would be in poor taste if someone brought a really offensive book in.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I wish I was. I was introduced to some really awesome authors thru this! And now, its gone. Political Correctness can kiss my butt sometimes... Makes me wonder when the public library will get hit.

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope your public library doesn't get hit by the easy child trend. Ours is safe - with a large university there are several LARGE groups in town who actively fight any kind of censorship.

I have read most of what those authors ahve written, but thanks for the offers. Here, if nothing else, we can donate the books to our Library Book Sale. It happens 2 times a year, in addition to having a large lobby section in the library with books for sale. But the book sales are HUGE here. Some books the library culls, and TONS of books donated from from people.

We have 5 smaller towns who want our booksale rejects after each sale!!! They used to offer them for free to any people who would take them off, after that they threw them away. Then one year a local small library had several people with trucks and vans come in to take the freebies. They came in and asked if they were allowed to haul off what individuals didn't want for free (they asked for books our locals didn't just haul off after the sale, even offered to pay for them, they didn't ask for them for free). So the library board had all the members on hand for the sale and took a quick vote to not let individuals take books for free after, tehy would ALL be donated for free to the smaller library.

Then everyone who knew someone in a smaller town told someone about it and now there is a rotation between the smaller libraries. Which is good because at a max price of $1 per hardback and $25 per kids book or magazine, with books sold for $3 per paper grocery bag the last day, well, they are cheap enough for those who live here. The book dealers were a HUGE problem as books were being given away for free. They are bad enough during the sale (they push and shove and have NO manners, even taking books out of kids' hands! last sale they banned all dealers until the bag sale because they were just out of hand!)

So maybe a local library would be able to sell them to fund a new book, or whatever they need?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
This book thing sounds like such a fun thing - a shame your workplace is being so uptight. I have more books than I know what to do with. I am forever donating them or giving them away.

easy child has hit our library. There were times when I had to take my dds to a different town to do research it was so bad!!! They've gotten somewhat better, but it's still too generic for me. I even have to go to another library if I'm researching a slightly off color topic. Yeesh! Enough already!

SRL

I'm big on the library book sale route for run of the mill stuff too. I'm glad to donate and glad to bring home a big bag at cheap prices. The only thing I don't like is fighting the professional sellers with their scanners.

Lothlorien

I love the book sale at the Library. My dad is a big avid reader and it's hard to keep up with his reading habits. I buy him a bag full of books for a couple of dollars. He loves it. The majority of the books at the sale are donated.

Star*

call 911........call 911
SRL -

The professional sellers here are also at the Salvation Army - UGH. It kills me when they scan, then get on their little phone and say I have XX title, 1st edition, yr....

And the rest of us just sit there and think ------"You're an @$$" The manager finally ran them out on the grounds of "loitering". That's where I get my books most times - and then just recycle them back - unless someone wants a book I have.