Botox for Migraines Anyone?

susiestar

Roll With It
On Friday I am going in to have Botox shots to help deal with these migraines. I have been at 21+ days of migraines per month for almost a year. It really really really ruins my life. I have to suffer many of them with-o medications because the medications only do so much and I have to save them for the worst days and/or days that I need to go to appointments or school things or whatever.

Has anyone here had botox for any reason? they will do it in my forehead and they use about 2x as much as for cosmetics because it isn't aimed at the surface muscles and the skin, but instead has to reach deeper things.

I am excited and a bit nervous. I do have to be careful as they do it or I could end up with one eyebrow higher than the other for a few months. If that is my biggest problem, WOW are things awesome in my life, lol!

Any input, suggestions, experiences would be great. I have used every preventative other than this and MAOI medications and have had each eventually stop working. MAOI medications are not an option because they are just too tricky and would react to most of my other medications.

BusynMember

I heard about Botex for migraines!!! I thought, "Wow, if I had migraines I could get botox and my insurance would cover it" lol. Of course, I'm just kidding...I don't want migraines, but I'd take the Botox...lol. Sus, seriously, I hope it helps you and makes you look ten years younger too!!!! As for experiences with it...obviously I haven't had any and wish you well.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susie*

I hate to see you be the resident guinea pig for migraines, but I read all I could find on Botox injections and I'm still on the fence about it. HOOOOOOOOWEVER. I'm also so worried about the lasting results of Topamax on my liver and the damages that it's doing - but I do have my liver enzymes checked 3months or so - and all that jazz...but what do they really know. I know if I miss 1 pill I hurt. So if I could take injections that lasted? (shrugs)
You're my hero kiddo. No wrinkles and no headaches.....jheez......is there really a disadvantage to this ?

Josie

Good luck Susie. I hope this helps you.

My daughter had a years long constant migraine and this was suggested at one point. I never got off the fence about it and we eventually found a different answer for her. We might have done it eventually if we hadn't gotten some other relief.

*Let us know how it goes.

Californiablonde

Best of luck to you, Susie. I hope it works for you. 21 migraines a month? Holy cr*p! I get one a month and that's torture. I can't imagine suffering as much as you are. Let us know how it goes.

susiestar

Roll With It
I got my botox this morning. It was interesting. I had my spin clips in my purse which was good because they didn't tell me that they needed to do them anywhere but my forehead. It is NOT just one or two shots, not by a long shot. The forehead above my eyes was 6 separate injections, then 3 shots near each other on 3 different spots on each side of my head! It was a lot of little shots, but the needles were very fine and other than a slight pinprick I didn't feel much at all. One of the ones on my forehead stung a little, but other than that it didn't hurt. The medicine didn't burn or sting at all.

It will take a day or two for the muscles to stop moving and I have some swelling on my forehead above my nose, but it is minor and to be expected. I will update in a few weeks if it is helping to stop the migraines. I pray it works because I want my life back!!!

Thanks for the good thoughts, and I don't mind being the guinea pig. The other medications like topomax stopped working for me a long time ago. I tried going back on them after not taking them for a while, but it took larger and larger doses to get very little results. I will let you know how it goes so that you can weigh your migraine misery against the results to see if you want to try it.

susiestar

Roll With It
Early Update: It is very soon after the injections to see full relief, but I realized about an hour ago that the low grade headache that I have most of the time is gone. So is most of the muscle spasm in my forehead, scalp and the upper part of my neck. So far, so good.

InsaneCdn

So is most of the muscle spasm in my forehead, scalp and the upper part of my neck
That effect makes more sense to me than direct impact on migraines... but even getting rid of THAT is worth something, and I can see where not having that may reduce severity of migraine symptoms. Sounds to me like it will be positive, whether or not you get ALL the benefits remains to be seen.