Boys gossip like girls

TerryJ2

NEWSFLASH!
Boys gossip just like girls.
I knew that. ;) But last night drove the point home.
difficult child was on the phone for almost 2 hrs. I tried to get him off several times but he said, "Mom, we're in a deep discussion."
Oh? :redface:
Turns out a girl in his class wanted to ask out one of his best friends. difficult child informed the friend. Friend said yes. difficult child told girl. Now girl is mad.
I'm not sure, but I think that's considered normal procedure--no one is supposed to know your real intent. I seem to recall this from easy child's middle school days.
So, the plot thickens. Last night, girl was at a sleepover and all of her friends were furiously gossiping about what had transpired.
The boys were on their individual house phones, gossiping. Occasionally one would get off the phone long enough to call someone of the opposite sex, to keep the issue inflamed.
Arrgh.
Well, at least he was in a good mood. And he told me what he was talking about, LOL!
On another note, I tried to help him with-his book rept. He is supposed to copy a pre-printed book review, incl. the copyright, price, photo of the book, etc., but review a book he just read. He was very, very confused because he thought he was supposed to type, verbatim, the exact books given on the sample page, and his book wasn't there. It took me a half hr to explain to him that he had to use the page as a sort of template, and create his own book review.
The rest of us understand templates and dress patterns. He doesn't get it.
Literal, indeed. It's got to be an Aspie thing. The good news is, now I know he's not being stubborn or mean. He truly doesn't get it. And now that I "get it" I can be more patient. :D

Jena

Good morning,

Ok that's kinda cute with the lengthy phone call, you are right boys do gossip as well, they just will never admit it! I'm glad he actually told you what it was he was talking about, that's really cool for a boy to share. The girls are usually the ones that share away!

I agree in regards to "not knowing the intent" of the other. lol it's like a little dance that they do, it is cute.

It's great that your understanding him better, and it is actually lessening your frustration level. Your doing a great job. :)

Andy

:secret:

Let the talks begin! I never got into the gossip thing! Very confusing to me.

Good that you are starting to understand the school work issues. I think I might have grown up Aspie. Sometimes the instructions are too weird. I think I read too much into them sometimes. I am looking for too exact of instructions. I just don't understand why I have to think sometimes. Everything should be black and white. :smug:

that is a really kind of cute story hehehee my 7 and 9 year old like to talk on the phone to although their convo's are quite a bit shorter and a little different in anture htey arent into the whole girl thing yet.. usually its about what thier friends are going to wear to school tommorrow..??? thats strange to come too think of it lol

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
LOL, better watch out for my ds then. I know my nephew is like that. And yes, be happy he's open about what they're talking about.

As for instructions...my difficult child had a book report to do, but they did it differently. She had to decorate a cereal box with- a picture, characters, plot and climax (all on different sides) but she couldn't understand the directions. She'd read and reread, but it just didn't click. And I think she's the same way with- templates (not understanding how to use them)!