Brisket????

Lothlorien

What the heck am I doing wrong????

Brisket used to be an inexpensive cut of meat, but has become a fairly expesive cut these days. I've tried the crockpot a few times, but the meat is tough. Today, I put it in the crockpot at 2 and cooked it on high until 6:30. Should have been done, right? According to recipes I've seen, yes. But it's been tough everytime I cook it. It smelled great, but I cannot seem to master this. Any suggestions? I don't like cooked cabbage or peppers.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I don't think 2 hours is nearly enough time Loth - it's more like 5 or 6.

Try reading this link -

http://www.ehow.com/how_2290471_cook-beef-brisket.html

There are variations on brisket, like texas BBQ one - (not my taste) as well as traditional ones. Also, I cooked a pork roast last year and cooked it and cooked it and finally figured out my crock pot was shot. When I went shopping last time I bought the biggest I could find so that I could make multiple meals and freeze for later.

Hope this beefs up your recipe - snort- beefs it up.......OH I steered you towards a great recipe.......snort.......steered. I'm going to bed now.

jannie

trying to survive....
Easy and tasty recpie for brisket.

One can coke
one package lipton onion soup mix
One jar chilli sauce

Bake covered with foil 2 hours at 350 degrees

Good price can be found at Costco. I've made it three or four times and it was delicious

susiestar

Roll With It
I have tried multiple ways to cook brisket in the past, with the same results you got. Just recently I got a good deal on a brisket and at the grocer's suggestion (small hometown grocery store) I put it in the crockpot at about 9 am and cooked it on LOW until 6 pm. I added some salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce, and about 1/2 cup of water. When it was done it flaked apart with a fork and was amazingly tender. I pulled it apart and then doused it in BBQ sauce. I THOUGHT that there would be enough for dinner a 2nd night, but husband and the kids just kept having "a little more" and there was NONE left out of a whole trimmed brisket!!!

smallworld

I have a similar recipe to Jannie's (but no coke).

Cover 4 lbs brisket with:

Two onions sliced into rings
One packet onion soup mix
Two bottles chili sauce
One cup red wine (like Manischewitz)

Cook covered at 350 for 4 hours.

I also buy brisket at Costco.

KTMom91

I think it needs to be in the crock-pot longer. I just use salt, pepper, garlic, and sliced onions, and a splash of wine or beef broth (depends on what's available), and let it cook on low all day.

jannie

trying to survive....
Regarding my recipie....I think the time varies on the size of the meat...probably it needs more than 2 hours....

Lothlorien

Well, I put it back in the crock about 7pm. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 2. It was done.:tongue: I ended up having it for lunch this afternoon. It was fine.