Brokenhearted

SeaGenieTx

So true - helping does NOT help. We have to change and setting boundaries does feel so wrong! I have made the mistakes and my son took full advantage every time. I kept feeling guilty until this last time when he really said some horrible things to me. A part of me died and I woke up to the fact this kid of mine is pure evil right now. I just have to detach and ignore him until he fixes his life. I refuse to be treated like that by anyone. I'm done - he can sink or swim.

Last edited:

SeaGenieTx

New Leaf said it best - hold on to the insults. My son really said some awful things to me this last time but thanks to that - I have finally stopped feeling guilty for kicking him out. Kid doesn't deserve me in his life if he is going to be that ugly and mean. I can only take so much... Kick a dog enough times they will turn and bite.

InsaneCdn

A part of me died and I woke up to the fact this kid of mine is pure evil right now.
Remember, this is not "your kid" that you are dealing with. Instead, you are dealing with a monster called addiction. The monster has taken over. The real kid we knew is hostage in there somewhere.

You cant "help" an addict. They have to drive the process of getting out of the addiction. Until then... it's just HARD

Hopeful97

We believe our son spent the night out in the cold last night. Even though I keep remembering the horrible things he called me and said to me and we were living with all doors bolt locked except his room, in kind of a prison. I am having such a hard time, I keep thinking he has untreated mental illnesses and he is out there and so very young. I know that I cannot go back to how it was, mostly because the stress was not only making me an emotional wreck but it was also causing physical problems. I know you understand, I am so torn. I cannot believe that a heart can just keep breaking, the pain is almost unbearable. I know we cannot let him come home, there is to much fear that things would go back to how they were. Cannot win for losing feeling physical as well as mental pain. Tears just keep coming. I am getting my tool box out that child of mine talked about to help. Thanks for listening.

Nancy

I understand Hopeful, I really do. In spite of the awful things my daughter would say to me I worried sick when she was on the street. I wish there as an easy answer but when we are talking about our children it rips you apart inside to see them struggling so. We are suppose to fix things and we can't. I hope you find some peace today.

New Leaf

Hopeful, I feel you, this is all so very hard. You are not alone with the pain and misery of it.
We believe our son spent the night out in the cold last night. Even though I keep remembering the horrible things he called me and said to me and we were living with all doors bolt locked except his room, in kind of a prison. I am having such a hard time, I keep thinking he has untreated mental illnesses and he is out there and so very young.
18 is so very young. The fact that you are setting boundaries for him, not allowing him in your home, under his conditions, doesn't make it easier on you. It feels horrible when our adult children don't launch well.
You are doing the right thing.
Hopeful, as gut-wrenching as it is, you are doing the right thing. 18 is so very young, but the fact that you are setting your boundaries and being so very brave to stick to them, may mean the biggest difference for your son, in that he will have to take a good hard look at his choices now. Now, he will have to see the error of his ways, not after years of enabling down the road. The earlier we put our foot down, the better chance our d cs have of seeing that. I wish I would have been stronger, earlier. I wish I would have seen it, then. We went back and forth, comings and goings. If I could do it all over again, I would have kept my d cs out, not let them come back, in and out, us desperately trying to help them, only for them to continue in their ways.
Take it from me Hopeful, I made the mistake of letting my girls in and out through a revolving door, each time thinking, "This will be the time." But it wasn't. Now, after four months and many days and nights feeling like you do, I wish I had stumbled upon this site earlier. It would have helped me back then to keep a resolve, to understand what you are now, that helping them, was not helping them.
I know that I cannot go back to how it was, mostly because the stress was not only making me an emotional wreck but it was also causing physical problems. I know you understand, I am so torn. I cannot believe that a heart can just keep breaking, the pain is almost unbearable.
This has got to be right up there with the toughest things known to man. The days come and go, one at a time. You will have good days and bad. Have you been able to get help for yourself?
Counseling really helped me, and there are other programs, Al-Anon, etc. Sometimes just being with other people who are going through this helps. Journaling helps. Actually, CD is a kind of journal, and it is helpful and awesome that there are kind and caring folks here to reply back and help as best they can.
Meditation helps, finding a quiet time in our busy lives to center ourselves. Reading helps. Walking and exercise helps.
I know we cannot let him come home, there is to much fear that things would go back to how they were. Cannot win for losing feeling physical as well as mental pain. Tears just keep coming. I am getting my tool box out that child of mine talked about to help. Thanks for listening.
I hope you are able to find some relief Hopeful. Moment to moment, day to day. I am right there with you, trying my best to carry on, in spite of it all. There is nothing to compare with the grief of it.
It is okay. It will be okay, you will be okay.
The process takes time. It is tough, but so are we.
You have a life, that is worth living to the fullest.
Feel your feelings, let it out, get it out as much as you can.
You have done right by your son, by giving him his wings.
You have shown him through this, that it is unacceptable for him to take advantage of you, and drag you down the road he has chosen.
When we do this, we show our d cs, there has got to be another way.
With us, they simply will not find that.
That is what I tell myself, when I start to think about the sadness of it all. I think back and remember how my d cs were in my home. They did not grow. They did not look to help themselves.
There was nothing left to do or say about it.
We tried our best, but for all the trying and putting up with indecent behavior, it didn't work.
So now, this is what it is. This is what is right and what has to be.
It doesn't feel good, but it is true.

Hang in there Hopeful.
I have my ups and downs, too.
The change in weather, and the holidays, intensifies the feelings.

You will get through this, one day at a time.
Hang in there and while you do that, so will I.

Strength and peace to all of us.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

Hopeful97

I understand Hopeful, I really do. In spite of the awful things my daughter would say to me I worried sick when she was on the street. I wish there as an easy answer but when we are talking about our children it rips you apart inside to see them struggling so. We are suppose to fix things and we can't. I hope you find some peace today.
Thank you for your kind words it really helps to talk to others.

Hopeful97

Hopeful, I feel you, this is all so very hard. You are not alone with the pain and misery of it.

18 is so very young. The fact that you are setting boundaries for him, not allowing him in your home, under his conditions, doesn't make it easier on you. It feels horrible when our adult children don't launch well.
Hopeful, as gut-wrenching as it is, you are doing the right thing. 18 is so very young, but the fact that you are setting your boundaries and being so very brave to stick to them, may mean the biggest difference for your son, in that he will have to take a good hard look at his choices now. Now, he will have to see the error of his ways, not after years of enabling down the road. The earlier we put our foot down, the better chance our d cs have of seeing that. I wish I would have been stronger, earlier. I wish I would have seen it, then. We went back and forth, comings and goings. If I could do it all over again, I would have kept my d cs out, not let them come back, in and out, us desperately trying to help them, only for them to continue in their ways.
Take it from me Hopeful, I made the mistake of letting my girls in and out through a revolving door, each time thinking, "This will be the time." But it wasn't. Now, after four months and many days and nights feeling like you do, I wish I had stumbled upon this site earlier. It would have helped me back then to keep a resolve, to understand what you are now, that helping them, was not helping them.

This has got to be right up there with the toughest things known to man. The days come and go, one at a time. You will have good days and bad. Have you been able to get help for yourself?
Counseling really helped me, and there are other programs, Al-Anon, etc. Sometimes just being with other people who are going through this helps. Journaling helps. Actually, CD is a kind of journal, and it is helpful and awesome that there are kind and caring folks here to reply back and help as best they can.
Meditation helps, finding a quiet time in our busy lives to center ourselves. Reading helps. Walking and exercise helps.

I hope you are able to find some relief Hopeful. Moment to moment, day to day. I am right there with you, trying my best to carry on, in spite of it all. There is nothing to compare with the grief of it.
You have shown him through this, that it is unacceptable for him to take advantage of you, and drag you down the road he has chosen.
That is what I tell myself, when I start to think about the sadness of it all. I think back and remember how my d cs were in my home. They did not grow. They did not look to help themselves.
We tried our best, but for all the trying and putting up with indecent behavior, it didn't work.

Hang in there Hopeful.

(((HUGS)))
leafy
Leafy, Thank you for your kind and understanding words.

Hang in there Hopeful.

(((HUGS)))
leafy
Leafy I would like to inbox you if that is okay and if I can figure out how to.

New Leaf

Leafy, Thank you for your kind and understanding words.
Leafy I would like to inbox you if that is okay and if I can figure out how to.
Of course it is okay Hopeful, I will try to explain how but I am new at this too, you just go to your home page and click on conversations, type in New Leaf. Then write what you need to. I am working, but I do check CD on my breaks. Please feel free to share what you need to. We are all in this together. I have been where you are and it is hard. Take courage warrior mom.

Hopeful97

My son came to the door this morning in tears because he has a really bad tooth ache. I did not let him in, I stood out on the porch and took a look at his tooth, it is broke off. I know teeth problems are very painful. I gave him what was left of our an be so (oral numbing medicine). There was not very much left. I also gave him a bottle of water and some aspirin. He wanted to talk to hubby, hubby was at store. Son said well I will go sit across the street because I do not want to get arrested for being on the property. Hubby pulled up, son said I am going to ask him for a ride to McDonald's and sit there all day because I do not want to be out in the cold. I told son that there are free clinics he could go to to get tooth and gums looked at (there may be an infection). Son did not ask me for a ride I think because he knows that answer would be no. I am so very sad. If things were different he would have our insurance to get help with his tooth. I know it does not make a difference our dcs ages but I just keep thinking he is only 18. The tears just keep coming. I called my sis she said you are not taking him anywhere right I said no hubby is, she said you are doing the right thing he did this to himself he has shown that he has not changed. My head tells me I am doing the right thing but my heart says help him he is your son. I am so very torn, the tears just keep coming. Hubby will probably be sad most of the day too. I just keep thinking of hubby's words when we were talking to our pastor at the time we were removing our son from our home he told pastor if it was just him and difficult son he would probably let him stay even if he did destroy the house but he understood that we had to make son leave. I am sick to my stomach very nauseous hubby too. This is just the beginning of winter and it is already almost unbearable. I do not know where to turn or what to do that is why I am writing to you all, I need to talk to you all this is so hard. I want to do so much more but know that I can't because nothing has changed. An apology would be nice but will probably never happen. I know son has not changed from the way he acted thanksgiving and from what he posts on facebook. My heart is breaking once again.

New Leaf

Ohhhh Hopeful, my heart goes out to you. When my daughter showed up bloodied and disheveled, it took every ounce of my being to resist letting her stay. I am glad for the work I have done here, because it helped me to remain firm. We have been enabling her, off and on, since she was 18. She is now 36. You and your husband do not want to go through this for another 18 years, Hopeful. You did the right thing. You are doing the right thing.
My head tells me I am doing the right thing but my heart says help him he is your son. I am so very torn, the tears just keep coming. Hubby will probably be sad most of the day too.
I know the feelings of sadness, let it out, it is okay, you need to get it out.

My son came to the door this morning in tears because he has a really bad tooth ache. I did not let him in, I stood out on the porch and took a look at his tooth, it is broke off. I know teeth problems are very painful. I gave him what was left of our an be so (oral numbing medicine). There was not very much left. I also gave him a bottle of water and some aspirin.
This was kind of you Hopeful, it is a part of loving detachment. We are not cruel to our d cs, but we do stick to the necessary boundaries we set.

I am sick to my stomach very nauseous hubby too. This is just the beginning of winter and it is already almost unbearable. I do not know where to turn or what to do that is why I am writing to you all, I need to talk to you all this is so hard. I want to do so much more but know that I can't because nothing has changed.
You are correct, nothing has changed. It is too soon.
Just Thanksgiving, you experienced the other side of your son. Now, he is hurt and desperate, so of course he will flip the switch to tug at your heart strings. You are correct to stand firm.

He has abused your home and the both of you. It is wrong.

An apology would be nice but will probably never happen. I know son has not changed from the way he acted thanksgiving and from what he posts on facebook. My heart is breaking once again.
Hold this in the forefront of you mind, Hopeful. Our hearts do break, each time we are faced with this. It is an emotional roller coaster. You have been so strong, you are strong. You have set your boundaries and done the best thing for you, your husband, and your son. It doesn't feel like it now, but it is the truth. If you let him stay, and things continued to escalate, I shudder to think of the possibilities Hopeful, I really do.

So, back to one day, one step at a time. Take deep breaths.

There is help out there for your son. There are clinics.

He is 18, how the heck did his tooth break off? What did he get himself into?

We cannot keep rescuing our kids from the situations they get themselves into, they will never learn otherwise.

Your son is only 18, this is true, but his disrespect of his parents, your home, the destruction and destructive behavior is unacceptable.
His being out there is a direct consequence of HIS actions.
This, is what we need to concentrate on, when we are facing the battle between head and heart.
That is what I had to do, when I sent my daughter down the road. I offered to take her to a rehab, shelter, or a DV shelter. She refused. She went out the door, then it started pouring rain, Hopeful. I was besides myself.

She showed up yesterday, a completely different person.

I have been struggling with this, and she is out there, getting high.
She was different yesterday, because she was high, I will not delude myself. She does not want to change, yet. My hubs is like yours. He will put up with the absolute crap, because he loves his daughter. I will not. It doesn't help anyone, most of all HER.

Keep standing firm, and, keep walking through this storm, you are not alone, we are not alone.

For all of the darkness, there will be light.

You are doing the correct thing, Hopeful. Take it from one who has had to learn the hard way. 18 years of this enabling. In and out the revolving door of our home, each time, we put up with increasingly destructive behavior, lying, stealing, laziness, inviting street friends of all sorts to our home, when we were at work, breaking into our house, breaking our hearts.

Your son has a far better chance of changing his life, by your standing firm.
Feel your sadness, it is important to get it out. Then, reach into your toolbox to brush yourself off, and keep on keeping on.
Stay the course.

Your strength and determination, will help your husband, and ultimately, your son.

Stay the course, Hopeful, you did the right thing.

Keep strong and steady. Take time for yourself, and do good things for you. Build yourself up, talk with your sister, she sounds like a good support. Talk with your Pastor.
Pray.
Give it to God, and pray for your son.
We have faith and hope with a higher power. All things are possible through Him.

I pray for your peace, peace of heart and mind.

You are doing this, we are doing it, one day, one step at a time.

Take care dear, you will get through this. We will get through this, you are not alone.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

Hopeful97

Leafy, Thank you for your encouragement and support. You are right I do not want to go through this for another 18 years. I started thinking his tooth was like that when he was still home and I tried to get him to go to the dentist over the summer, he refused.

When we brought son home from residential living (after a year and a half there - we visited on weekends and sometimes he would get a day pass or weekend pass to come home) it did not take long for him to get kicked out of 2 GED classes and for his horrible behavior to start again. He came home a few months before his 17th birthday.

So they have been his choices not to get an education or go to doctors or take necessary medications. I know this but it still hurts, acknowledging the fact that these are his choices does help sometimes more than other times. One of the conditions he came home from residential living with was that he had to get his GED and a job. He was told that if this did not happen he could not live here, he was also told that if heveryone kept treating us like he was and our property he would be kicked out on his 18th birthday. Thsee things did not happen, even with his friends telling him to not treat me like he did. I would come home to lots of people on my deck that I did not know, break ins, etc......there were all kinds of shady characters hanging around. So yes Leafy I know how you felt.

I am sure drugs are involved and drinking and I have to remember that he knows he has a mental illness and that he needs to be on medications. Mental illness is in my family so he has seen how important therapy and medications are.

I keep telling myself that I have to do this for my health, physical as well as mental. We all do.

I wish I could figure out how to take bits from a post on this site and respond to each part like you and others do. If you can explain that would be great. Right now I scroll backwards to see if I am responding to everything.

I am a praying person, when son showed up I sent a quick prayer to give me strength and that prayer was answered, because I do not believe I would have been able to do what I was able to do this morning. I went to church asked for peace and now I am much calmer. You know the poem footprints in the sand, the Lord has been carrying me for a very long time I must be getting heavy. (chuckle)

My tool box is very useful.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for the video, absolutely terrific what a blessing.

We all can do this. So thankful for all the support from everyone on this site.

HUGS

Hopeful

Hopeful97

I pray and hope that my son is not trying to start the cycle again, thinking he can wear me down. One thing that motivates me to stay the course is that I feel peace in my home. I haven't felt that for a very long time. I think I forgot how wonderful it is when your home is your safe haven and I do not want the chaos and horrible treatment.

New Leaf

Hold onto that Hopeful, you deserve peace in your home.

Okay on inserting quotes,
When you want to insert quotes, highlight where you want to quote (like you were going to copy something) Under the blue highlighted section, a tab will come up on the left, click the +Quote side. The top of the screen will say "Message added to multi quote". You can highlight and add more quotes to this.

Then when you are ready to reply, make sure you have clicked your cursor in the reply section, then click the "insert quotes" button on the bottom left of the reply box.

A blue box will pop up, that says "Review selected messages" on the top. Within the box, are your selected quotes. You can remove, or reposition where you want the quotes. When you are ready, click on the "Quote these Messages" button, and the quotes will be inserted.

The quotes are separated in the reply box with [ ] brackets and writing inside. write above or below these brackets, or your comments will be incased in the purple quotes.

If you need more help, just holler.

leafy

Kalahou

Hopeful, I just wanted to check in with you. I have been following your post here and just want to tell you that I am keeping you and your situation in thoughts and uplifting prayers.

I am also new to this site for a couple of months, and can only tell you that daily reading the support and encouragement here is comforting, life-saving and strengthening, and right on. Every day I learn more from some thread or post, and strengthen my resolve, understanding, and detachment and wisdom each time I glean a new tidbit of guidance from this site.

You are not alone in this journey. The rest of us here are on our own similar paths at different places, different stages and ages. But there are common issues and common principles throughout. It is a hard road. It is such a relief pour it out to people that truly understand and who have been there, and are managing to come through it by taking one day at a time. Visit here often and pour out your heart as you need to. It really helps to have this body of wisdom and caring as a soft place to land.

Take care. Bless. Kalahou

Hopeful97

Wow! Hubby in er today with chest pain and shortness of breath. He is being admitted at least overnight for more testing if those test come back okay then home. In the meantime Difficult Child started calling this morning I did not answer any calls. At hospital started blowing up my phone and hubby's phone. Hubby did not want to talk to him but wanted someone to answer Difficult Child's call. Other son answered and was told hubby in hospital Difficult Child started talking to other son who wasn't really listening Difficult Child wanted to talk to me. When other son handed me the phone I said to him what did Difficult Child say other son said I couldn't hear him that well Difficult Child talking some bs. I talked to Difficult Child who tells me he is in a lot of pain with his tooth sounds like he is crying. I tell him there is nothing I can do that he needs to find a free clinic. Difficult Child says the clinic wants money and he does not have any money. I tell Difficult Child I am sorry I do not have any money and the only other thing I know is to go to homeless shelter maybe they can help. Difficult Child says really f u. I hang up. Hubby wants to know what's going and can I take Difficult Child, I say no not after Difficult Child tells me f u when i made suggestions of what ro do. Hubby says well I guess I will take him. I say where we do not have the money to help, he says what about insurance I say what insurance Difficult Child does not have insurance. Then Difficult Child sends picture to hubby trying to show his tooth he is crying and the text with the picture says "u see so much pain, u guys about my family, u don't even care." Hubby tells how worried he is about Difficult Child I say me too. I think a lot of this er visit this morning is partly anxiety, stress, worry over Difficult Child. Hubby knows we cannot help him he is just grasping at straws and I have to remember I am much farther along in this nightmarish journey. He has been calling sister to and she will not answer. I am feeling strange because the feeling of wanting to jump in and help Difficult Child is not there this time, not even a little like it was when I gave him anbesol, aspirin and water. Am I losing my compassion or my natural mother's instinct to help and do for her children? I don't want to turn into a hard callous person. Maybe it's just that I cannot take the abuse anymore - I do not want to be Difficult Child's victim anymore. Maybe someday Difficult Child will get it and truly seek the help he needs and truly want to repair broken relationships. Wow, just saying that makes me think "some mother you are" that is what my heart says but my logical says "you did the only thing left to do". Once again I know I am all over the place, I hope this makes some sort of sense. Making sense out of chaos is impossible.

AppleCori

I just saw this!

I hope and pray that your husband is going to be OK!

Maybe you can turn the phones off for a while, so you can concentrate on hubby's recovery, and let your son deal with his stuff on his own for a little while?

Please let us know how hubby is progressing.

Apple

New Leaf

Hopeful, you are in a very stressful situation. It is outrageous to me that your son can only think of his own pain, while his father is in ER!
You wrote that you urged son to go take care of this tooth over the summer and he refused.
I do not think you are being unreasonable or cold. I do not think you should beat yourself up, or buy into your sons propaganda about family. Oh Hopeful, I am sorry, but I am roaringly upset by this. My hubs was hospitalized, and where were our two? Out partying. Ugh. Ok calm down leafy.
So, is there anyway you can take your husbands phone? He needn't be ruminating with worry over your son, while he is in the hospital.
Maybe you could speak with the staff to limit calls? Only allow certain people to call?
I hope your hubby is okay. What a thing to deal with on top of everything else. Your logic is correct, you did everything and more. You have endured more than enough. Our d c's can be very selfish and cruel. It is abominable.

I hope you and husband can get some well deserved rest.
Sorry for my ranting, your story hit a soft spot of memories. Aaaarrrggh!
Take care, prayers for you and husband and for son to wake up and behave decently.

Stay strong, you are a good person. You are doing the right thing.

(((Hugs)))
Leafy

Nancy

Hopeful I hope your husband is OK. The stress these kids put us through is life threatening. Some of us here have turned off our phones when those hysterical calls start coming in. It was always infuriating to me that my daughter could treat me so badly and then call and demand I do something for her.