Brrrr....It's COLD!!!!

svengandhi

Tonight at the train station, I cried because it was so icy and I was afraid to walk off the curb and go to the car. When I got home, I had two glasses of wine just to calm my jitters. As I get older, my fear of snow and ice just grows and grows. Of course, it doesn't help that about 50% of my work involves cases where people have slipped and fallen on ice so I have to read the medical records and do the trials and etc. My phobia has definitely increased since I've been at this firm.

I am planning my retirement every day.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Right now it is 0 degrees with a windchill of -20.

Personally, I think the title of the post ought to be changed from brr it's cold to It's F-ing COLD. It's not helping that I'm running a fever and my body can't make up it's mind if I'm freezing to death or hot or that the furnace is struggling to keep it above 66 degrees inside.

The snow doesn't bother me a bit. The cold.......the bitter cold.......can stop at any time. I'm tired of being cold 75 percent of the time.

BusynMember

If you like snow, you can come visit me and I'll let you stay here for free :) You can learn the fine art of walking on ice and shoveling your car out of the garage ;) We have special skills here!
There are some beautiful ice sculptures around.
Oh, yeah, weather check in. Just another balmy day here. I believe it's going to climb out from under zero today...at least a little...but with the wind chill...We Wisconsinites are very hearty. It's still bustling in town and we don't call school off very often.

pasajes4

Well we did not get any snow. We did get ice. It seems that almost all of south Texas is closed due to the ice. It isn't all that bad, but since people here can't drive even when it's dry, it is probably for the best.

donna723

This has been such an unusually cold winter so far, especially when you live in a 160+ year old drafty little house with basically no foundation or insulation! We were down to zero last night and it's not supposed to get above freezing until tomorrow, then down really cold again for another few days. Luckily I only rent it because I am now on a first name basis with the plumbers my landlord has hired to keep the pipes from freezing until it can all be re-plumbed. I have a heat lamp under the bathroom floor, every faucet running a trickle and all the cabinet doors wide open trying to keep the pipes from freezing again. I cringe to think of what my next water and electric bills will be, and my gas bill for heating will be astronomical!

DammitJanet

Ya know whats funny? When I grew up in Richmond VA we always had large snowfalls every winter and our ponds and lakes froze over. I used to skate every year on the lakes. We always had places to sled too. I learned to drive in the snow when I got my license. I can even remember my parents buying snow tires or chains.

Now I doubt you can even find snow tires or chains in Richmond...lol. I have only seen a few bad snowfalls there since I left.

We never got hit with hurricanes in the 20 years I lived there but just a few years after I left, Richmond started to get hit. Oh and snow followed me to Myrtle Beach...lol. They got their first snow in decades about 3 years after I moved there.

My family went up to Boston for Y2K new years and my family was shocked at frozen ponds, lakes and such. They had never experienced such a thing. To me it was normal for winter!

tiredmommy

I'm glad we have our gas fireplace because it's getting very windy and that makes me worry that the power will go out.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We've been doing what I call "stealth snow": an inch or two per day and of course, it doesn't melt off up here in the frozen northwoods. Today was our one day break in the latest freeze. Got up to +20F and will only be 5 below tonight. Then back into the deep freeze with highs around 5 below and lows around 20 below.

I'm tired of it. Everyone who isn't into winter sports is hibernating and only coming out on the rare warm days. I ran my errands today and the stores were mobbed with people doing the same thing.

Some idiot in the mobile home park is blasting up and down the road at various late hours of the night and either keeping me awake or waking me up shortly after I've finally fallen asleep.

I don't expect a melt off, would prefer we don't get one, in fact, as when we get an actual thaw, the roads turn into skating rinks.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
MWM........ You also have the COLD, you know, that BITTER COLD. Uh, no thanks. lol

This is actually, believe it or not, normal winter weather. There has been about a decade of much warmer winters to make people forget the real deal when they see it. Sub zero temps might be pushing it, but not the windchills. My whole childhood was like this. Yes, I know I grew up in Illinois, but mother in law filled me in on normal ohio weather and it is not too different from where I grew up winter wise. My kids grew up with similar winters with a few extreme ones thrown in for good measure......compared to those odd years, we're doing pretty darn well and should be thankful. (I'd rather not have a repeat of them, they were horrid)

I learned to drive in the snow......on the highway first, then in town. Driver's ed teacher decided that was the best way. Not so sure about that as it scared us half to death. lol

I don't mind the snow, but the really bitter cold I just don't care for.

donna723

This year is really unusual for us. We do have cold winters but it very rarely stays below freezing for more than a day or two and I don't even remember the last time we were down in the single digits. We don't get that much snow here but when it does snow, it's usually gone in a day or so. Luckily we've only had a few flurries so far this year. Folks who get lots of snow make fun of us for getting so worried over an inch or two of snow but it's because our roads are so treacherous here! They're all hills and curves and a lot of roads are cut in to a hill where you have a rock wall on one side and a sheer drop-off on the other. That snow on the road will melt during the day, then refreeze at night, slick as glass. When I lived in the country our house sat at the bottom of two steep hills, on a curve. And when it would snow we could be marooned 12 miles from town for up to a week because the roads were absolutely impassable - nobody made it up those hills. And every single year there would be so many people slide off the road near our house that I kept the Sheriffs Dept. and the local towing service on speed dial!

I absolutely HATE the cold weather but not as bad as I used to when I was still working and had to drive in it. I came from St. Louis where we got a lot of snow but I was a kid then and it was just fun. But I grew up in Florida, went to school in Florida, and learned to drive in Florida. They taught us things like how to not get your car stuck in the sand at the beach when the tide comes in, not how to drive in snow. I remember having Drivers Ed class and the teacher skipping over the entire chapter about driving in ice and snow because, as he said, "None of you will probably ever need to worry about that"! Uh, yeah! Right!