Bubba very ill...

donna723

I'm so glad he was well enough to go home. I'll bet you both feel a lot better now that he's back home. Hope he continues to improve.

mstang67chic

Going Green
That's great Witz!!! Being home should really help him feel better too. Continued good thoughts going out that he's back to normal soon!

witzend

What wonderful news, Witz. Were they able to determine what was going on?

Suz

I know, I was so excited to have him home I totally spaced that part! I added a PS a few minutes ago, but I'll go ahead and cut and paste it here so people will see.

It was hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. The IV fluids and medications to firm him up and stop the bleeding have helped tremendously. He's not completely better, but not like yesterday. He was so bad I thought he was going die on the deck. He wouldn't come into the house because he knew he was just going to keep being sick and he won't be sick in the house. What a sweet guy... But it was pretty clear he was heading for shock if I didn't do something. And, it cost a teeny tiny bit less than we had set our limit at.

tiredmommy

{{{Hugs}}} to you, husband and Bubba. I imagine he'll be anemic for awhile. Can you feed him pet-safe broth? It would make me feel better to do some home cooking for Bubba...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If Bubba's blood work has shown he is anemic, a good way to build him back up is to feed him COOKED liver.

You can get frozen beef liver at most stores. Liver is weird as raw it is laxative and cooked it has the opposite effect.

I've never encountered a dog that refuses to eat cooked liver. They love the stuff.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OH Witz how horribly scarey!!!! I so understand about having to weigh the cost vs age thing. And thankfully I have a vet who also understands that I'm not made of money and who does her best to find the cheapest solution possible without treating me like an ogre.

I'm so thrilled Bubba is going to be ok I held my breath clear up until I reached your update. He is such an sweety pie.

((hugs))

Star*

call 911........call 911
Can he have boiled rice and hamburger until the lining of his stomach is healed? I can't imagine him having regular dog food. It sounds like he should be on Prilosec or some dog medicine all the time. I bet the emergency room bill was a zinger (UGH) ...but well worth it for my furry little snotty nephew.

I'm glad SO glad to hear he is home. Maybe Deb can share her Depends :tongue:

Bubba - Thanks for rebounding big dog!!