Bugsy Update

Bugsy

Well, Bugsy was admitted late Thursday night. The hospital staff is very nice and are doing a good job with him. It certainly is not the terrible place one might imagine. They have a busy day full of therapy, art, gym, school, games, movie night, etc.

Bugsy has gotten past the worst of the homesickness. Obviously he really wants to come home but I guess he has accepted the reality.

When admitted he was automatically put on what they call asault precaution. well he has worked his way off of any precaution which means he can where street clothes rather than scrubs, he can have toys in his room and have more freedom to walk about.

There are about 12 adolescents and preadolescents. Only bugsy and 1 other are preadolescents so they are pretty much seperate from the big kids. The other 7 year old is having much more difficulty than Bugsy. In fact he drives my son a bit nuts which is good in the long run. If he can build up control with this little boy he should be able to handle a lot.

Now that they have observed him for a few days and his lithium and depakote are at solid therapeutic levels they started a stimulant today and are watching him closely. His impulsivity is such a major problem that he is a danger to himself and others. First day on concerta went well. Much less impulsivity and could focus in school. He also walked away from the boy who drives him crazy. If things go well tomorrow and wednesday the thought is to discharge him into outpatient. It is hard to not get your hopes up. I hate hope because it always seems to go badly.

Thank you for so much for the support the day I wrote he was admitted.

Hope (hate that word) to share good progress soon.
Bugsy's mom

Wiped Out

Staff member
The psychiatric hospital sounds a lot like the one our difficult child is in except that they completely separate the adolescents and younger kids-they are on different wings. I'm glad he is comfortable there and getting the help he needs. Hugs.

M

ML

I'm sorry that hope hasn't gone well for you in the past. But hope is a precious thing to have and I encourage you not to give up on it.

I'm visualizing positive results and thinking of hopeful, healing thoughts. Hugs, ML

jannie

trying to survive....
I'm glad to hear things are going better. Finger crossed he tolerates the stimulant !! Wouldn't that be great !! It sounds like it could be a short hospital stay--What are the hours for the outpatient program?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Sounds pretty good! For K even her psychiatric hospital was good as far as her seeing the HUGE rages of the big kids.
It really helped her see other kids like her, and see the way she acted. We could have dialogue about her actions, and discuss better ways for her to act. She wanted to try, she did not want to act like the other kids... It scared her to see the violent, explosive rages of the other kids. Even though she did the same exact things, and she liked them (the other kids). She wanted to stop it...
It really was an eye opener even at 6 yo for her. The violence and venom that she heard was very scary for her. But good...
Maybe it too can open a dialogue for you as well?

LittleDudesMom

You sound so much better than you did the other day!!!!

Glad he is progressing and they are doing a medication check. Keep us posted!

Sharon

L

luvmyottb

Keeping all body parts crossed for good luck with you and Bugsy. I can certainly relate to your statement about having hope...but you have to hang on and have faith that things will work out.

Best to you.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Glad it turned out similar to our experience and those who have been there before.
Hopefully something positive will come out of it.