Bunker in all you in the mid atlantic!

DammitJanet

Jamie just called me to say they are predicting 18 to 30" of new snow starting tomorrow morning where he is!

He said he just saw something scroll across the screen he hasnt seen since he has lived there.

Predictions: Snow. Heavy snow. Heavy Heavy snow. Heavy snow. Snow.

LOL.

He has to work all weekend on call as a first emergency responder. Lucky him!

klmno

Yep, here we go again and we're still trying to dig out from last week's snow storm. We've had more snow this year in what will be three storms than I think we've had in the past five years combined. I went to the store yesterday and again today to make sure I have everything I need and I parked on the street instead of the driveway tonight so maybe I'll be able to visit difficult child this weekend. I'm really hoping we don't get more than 6-8" but I have heard from several that many parts of VA might get over 20". That's a lot of snow!!

And I've heard that if we don't get that much snow, it will be because it turns to sleet. Oh boy.....

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Send it up here. We are in such a drought that they are closing the snowmobile trails to prevent permanent damage to the land underneath them.

We have had no snow in January at all, and we are a region normally known to get quite a bit.

We're coming off a few drought years, and no end in sight for us. We don't just need the snow for recreation reasons--we flat out need the water.

So far in Feb, we're getting an inch here, an inch there, and we normally get most of our snow in Jan and Feb. Heaviest snow we've had up here was a foot that fell in two seperate storms.

At the same time; it snowed last May. Tell me the climate isn't changing. Warm up here, too. We've only dipped single digits below zero in an area where double digits are normal.

klmno

I wish I could send it all to you, GN! And before my deck collapses from the weight of it!

Janet, I'm sorry Jamie has to work in this but please thank him for me, for rescuing any poor animals left out in it. No matter what the breed, I doubt any of them around here are adapted to this kind of winter and I really feel for any pet left out in this.

smallworld

The forecasters say we're going to get clobbered in the Difficult Child metro area. It's the second blizzard of the winter. Our county SD hasn't announced that it will close school for tomorrow, but has already posted on its website that an announcement will be made by 10:30 am if schools need to close early.

This morning I was at Trader Joe's by 9 am and then at Giant by 10 am. The produce department was ravaged at Giant. No apples or eggplants left. I finally made my way through the store and got into the checkout line (3-carts deep). A woman screamed at me because she thought I was in the express lane (she was sadly mistaken). Can you say major freak-out in the Difficult Child metro area? I was very glad I stocked up this morning and made it home alive.

I'm hunkering down and waiting it out.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Wow-sounds like a lot of snow. Due to El Nino (sp) we are having a little snow so far this winter (other than the one big one in Dec). I'm happy it's missing us. Stay safe everyone.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I live across the street from a Super WalMart and with our normal climate, people don't mob the stores when a storm is forecast. We tend to keep stocked up in general.

I'm wondering if some folks might've gotten blase' with how mild the last few winters have been.

I'm not even a big fan of snow, but when you somewhere that depends on municipal and private wells (need the good water table) and on good winter tourism, the lack of snow really impacts us.

The only winter thing still really going on is ice fishing tournaments and one of those had to be cancelled after it went into the low thirties for a few days and the ice on that specific lake began to rot.

Star*

call 911........call 911
(crying again)

I WANT SNOW......SEND IT HERE.

I mean I think if GN and myself WANT it? We should just be able to touch the screen and GET IT. Like touch screen snow. I-STORM....the newest rage in predictable weather.

DammitJanet

SW....Same thing with near Jamies at the grocery stores. They had to go to three different stores to get bread, cheese, juice boxes and infant formula.

Im betting you dont live all that far from them come to think of it ya know?

klmno

We just don't normally have hard winters like that in this region. While I was at the store, the check-out lady reminded me that this is Super Bowl Sun. coming up so shelves of "munchies" were about empty by the time I got there. Maybe we'll get lucky and the weathermen have over-estimated this time.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
They've already started to announce early dismissals of schools up here tomorrow. WAAAA!!!!

Suz

LittleDudesMom

We are only getting a couple inches of snow, turning to sleet shortly in the afternoon tomorrow, then rain all night. A few snow showers on Saturday, but probably 4 inches in all. Any other winter that would have been reason to celebrate....but with the last two huge snowfalls, this is nothing!

I did see on a newsfeed an hour ago that counties north and west of here have already closed the schools. My sister is in Leesburg and she said about 24" - fortunately, they own a plow because they live "in the woods".

Stay safe and warm all! Build a snowman for me!

Sharon

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I just don't know what this world has come to when you can't find an eggplant at Giant! I was stuck at Shoprite for two hours and the lines were going down the aisles. I've never seen anything like it. Were we at war? Had a nuclear generator melted down? The goofy meat guy told me the weather was all my fault, I had some fun with that since he did not know we had moved from Maine. I told him since he couldn't produce the Angus tenderloin his corporation was advertising I would slam him with an other foot o' snow. I love being 61, I can say anything I want and not blush...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Upstate NY has always gotten a lot of snow due to Lake effect off of Lake Erie. but we've got some really unusual places getting LOTS of snow this year.

And, some unusual places being warmer and dryer than normal. I've noticed the warming and drying out over the past few years, and the increasing cold and wetness in others. I don't think its just El Nino.

Whatever it is; it's just plain weird.

DammitJanet

Well we are supposed to get 2 inches...2 inches of rain! We are still in the flood stages from all the rain of the last couple of weeks and our river is really high. 2 inches is gonna be bad.

Mattsmom277

Okay, paint me black and call me heartless ............. but ............ THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

For ONCE, living what I believe to be the furthest north on the board (Northern Ontario Canada), I am kind of enjoy hearing the snow war stories this winter from you all. Our snowbanks haven't climbed high as they get knocked back in plenty of time for any upcoming snow fall. We've only had about 5-6 super bad winter days, and only two bus cancellations all winter long.

Normally I'm here reading people who are craving snow (*cough* STAR!) while I'm bunkered down and see WALLS of snow out the windows. So we have snow of course, but manageable.

I'm trying to imagine anyone here in a brutal snow storm running out for supplies. I think its quaint (don't choke me lol). I guess in winter around here we expect it anytime. I've never had to run out for stuff due to a storm coming. Its normally so cold and yucky that its just habit to not fall behind in staples at all in winter.

Nah nah nah nah nah neeeer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (giggles!)